X-Files 2 Movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was pissed with what they started doing AFTER the movie, but I had no real problems with the movie.

Duchovny and Anderson looked so great on the big screen. :drool:

But uh ... I did like other things than that. :wink:

unico said:

i suppose, but samantha's disappearance and "cover up" was the whole point of xfiles to begin with. it was why mulder did what he did. after they screwed upp that story, i really lost interest in the show. what's the point in keeping on with xfiles if she was just kidnapped by some sicko? it didn't make any sense with the little hints we were given throughout the other seasons. they had a great idea and screwed it up big time. imo the show was over after that.

it was always fun, learning more about the story, but not too much, you know? every few episodes somebody would drop references, and it was another piece of the puzzle. and the syndicate!!!! oooh remember well-manicured man? i can't believe CC just wrote them off!!!! what in the world??? everything he had built, he shat on and killed so he can create this bs mythology that i didn't buy and i thought didn't make much sense tied together with the rest of the story.

but...that's just my opinion. i guess i'm old school. :)
No offense, but I think you misunderstood what happened to Samantha. The story started with a child molester to relate it on an emotional level with what many people losing their children go through and to have someone relate to this extraordinary rescue by walk-ins to Mulder, since most people haven't had their children abducted by aliens. If you watch "Two Fathers/One Son" and "Sein Und Zeit/Closure", you get the answers. Perhaps Carter had early on wanted Samantha alive, but the decision she had died long before makes this whole quest that much more tragic and puts CSM's actions in a very touching and still dramatically-believable light, as when he took Mulder's file on Samantha in the 5th season finale or when he interacted with her clone in Redux II, and never really offered Samantha to Mulder, while promising her in the Season 3 finale because he knew he had lost her years ago and many of his actions were sentimental. As Frank Spotnitz said, most people never get back their abduted children and they wanted this to feel emotionally believable.

Basically, CSM was their biological father and he persuaded Bill and Teena (Mulder's mother) Mulder to pick a child to give up. They initially picked Fox, but someone decided on Samantha. She was abducted in November 1973 from the home because they had resisted giving up one of their children in October 1973 at the airbase hangar, as the aliens had insisted in exchange for access to alien DNA, and to ensure the human collaborators would work quickly on a process to turn humans into alien-human hybrids if they wanted to see their children soon.

Samantha had escaped badly injured from the experiments that were making her sick. She died as a Jane Doe in 1979, and, when CSM went to retrieve her body, it was gone -- rescued in some way before they could continue the experiments that would have killed her agonizingly. Why, in "One Son" did CSM then lie to Mulder about him being able to find Samantha if he just came to the Airbase? Because he loved him and wanted to keep him alive; before, he was willing to kill him if he posed a severe enough threat to the project, as when things became too risky over the digital tape in Season 2's Anasazi. By the end of Season 4 -- specifically "Zero Sum" -- we have some indication that CSM is having Marita Covarubias provide info to Mulder on the bee project. What we see with his treatment of Jeffrey Spender in Season 5 and 6 and see evidence of at the start of Season 5 is that CSM decided he wanted a successor. Before he was shot by the syndicate, he was trying to get Mulder to come to his side. When he was almost killed and Mulder had firmly said no, even when he gave him Scully's cure, he decided to regroup and become more cautious. He found Jeffrey and took him under his wing, while eventually destroying his other son, Fox. CSM's sadness but also his conflicted love for Fox, the wife he couldn't kill, and his former lover, and the petty and demanding qualities that led him to vengence against his sons and Kyrchek are observable all the way through the show. CSM had a great arc into "Closure" just as had Mulder.

On a great deleted scene commentary for "Two Fathers" by Frank Spotnitz, the writer comments on a pivotal scene that had to be cut for time. Usually the scenes are lame but this one really explained things so much better. It involved Krychek expressing great respect for CSM and implying he wanted to follow in his footsteps, if Mulder definitely wasn't and Spender was too weak to. Spotnitz comments that, tragically for CSM, he turns Krychek down because he thought him too untrustworthy, but actually it would have saved the project or at least ended up better for them.

I loved the conspiracy, too, and was so sad the Well-Manicured Man was wasted in the film. However, the show was starting to run out of themes and new ideas in some way, and if they hadn't ended and explained the conspiracy in Season 6, then it might have had a much worse explanation and less dramatic story than the amazing way it ended in "Two Fathers/One Son". I remember reading how the 6th season was going to end in a 3 part story that would be resolved in the 7th season premiere, but delays with Duchovny directing his stupid baseball episode meant delays for his availability for acting, and so they created the crappy Lone Gunman episode. It was even reported by the actors that Jeremiah Smith and the Bounty Hunter were both hired. It could have been amazing because the show was still fairly good!

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
Am I the only one who liked the first movie?
I followed the mythology carefully and had grown to love the oblique story telling using fascinating characters like Krychek and mysterious dialogue between CSM and Mulder (which they had to cut out of the movie because test audiences didn't understand it). The movie was just a waste because it could have explained all these elements with a more powerful dramatic story. Even if that story would only be understood by hardcore fans, it should have been told on TV to avoid fears of a box office flop. The quality of the mythology had been incredibly high at that point in the series, and really dropped with the movie and the Season 5 finale that had to set up the film.

The 2-parter "Patient X/The Red and the Black" 2 months before the movie came out was infinitely better in every way. Don't you think? I wanted that kind of quality, and, except for some nice relationship moments, all we got was some watered down story with lots of explosions. It became this odd dumbed-down thing that tried to appeal to Die Hard fans or something. The X-Files is best at suspense and especially drama -- not action.

Further rehashed info from last week and more for those that haven't read further back -

A new film reviving the cult 1990s TV series The X-Files is moving closer to being made, according to reports. David Duchovny, one of the show's stars, has told reporters he will receive a script next week.

Duchovny and co-star Gillian Anderson are both "on board" to reprise their roles as alien-hunting special agents Mulder and Scully, he said. The film will begin shooting in November this year and is scheduled for a summer release.

"Gillian is on board and I'm on board. It's November for a summer release," the Daily Express quoted Duchovny, as saying.

The script has been written by creator Chris Carter and writer Frank Spotnitz, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

"I've been talking to Chris and he's been giving me some progress reports. He actually called yesterday and said: 'Next week you should have something to read'."

Speaking to The Independent last night from a film festival in Italy, Anderson confirmed that she was set to begin filming sometime between October and January. " The script is imminent and we are meant to start doing it by the end of this year and beginning of next year," she said. "I have been for it from the beginning and I have been positive about it from the beginning."

"It was not something I longed for on a regular basis but as soon as we start talking about doing it again I got very excited. There's always a bit of melancholy about it because of the amazing memories of the experience. It was a very intense period in all our lives and the thought that we are all going to come together again to do it - and possibly in Vancouver where it all started - is very exciting". <<<<<Yes!!!!!

Anderson, 37 said, "It's going to be a very scary film about two characters who happen to be called Mulder and Scully. I don't think they are going to draw on any of the mythology or the conspiracy stuff, as far as I know. My understanding is that it's scary like a monster film."

Last edited:
Muldfeld said:

No offense, but I think you misunderstood what happened to Samantha. The story started with a child molester to relate it on an emotional level with what many people losing their children go through and to have someone relate to this extraordinary rescue by walk-ins to Mulder, since most people haven't had their children abducted by aliens. If you watch "Two Fathers/One Son" and "Sein Und Zeit/Closure", you get the answers. Perhaps Carter had early on wanted Samantha alive, but the decision she had died long before makes this whole quest that much more tragic and puts CSM's actions in a very touching and still dramatically-believable light, as when he took Mulder's file on Samantha in the 5th season finale or when he interacted with her clone in Redux II, and never really offered Samantha to Mulder, while promising her in the Season 3 finale because he knew he had lost her years ago and many of his actions were sentimental. As Frank Spotnitz said, most people never get back their abduted children and they wanted this to feel emotionally believable.

Basically, CSM was their biological father and he persuaded Bill and Teena (Mulder's mother) Mulder to pick a child to give up. They initially picked Fox, but someone decided on Samantha. She was abducted in November 1973 from the home because they had resisted giving up one of their children in October 1973 at the airbase hangar, as the aliens had insisted in exchange for access to alien DNA, and to ensure the human collaborators would work quickly on a process to turn humans into alien-human hybrids if they wanted to see their children soon.

Samantha had escaped badly injured from the experiments that were making her sick. She died as a Jane Doe in 1979, and, when CSM went to retrieve her body, it was gone -- rescued in some way before they could continue the experiments that would have killed her agonizingly. Why, in "One Son" did CSM then lie to Mulder about him being able to find Samantha if he just came to the Airbase? Because he loved him and wanted to keep him alive; before, he was willing to kill him if he posed a severe enough threat to the project, as when things became too risky over the digital tape in Season 2's Anasazi. By the end of Season 4 -- specifically "Zero Sum" -- we have some indication that CSM is having Marita Covarubias provide info to Mulder on the bee project. What we see with his treatment of Jeffrey Spender in Season 5 and 6 and see evidence of at the start of Season 5 is that CSM decided he wanted a successor. Before he was shot by the syndicate, he was trying to get Mulder to come to his side. When he was almost killed and Mulder had firmly said no, even when he gave him Scully's cure, he decided to regroup and become more cautious. He found Jeffrey and took him under his wing, while eventually destroying his other son, Fox. CSM's sadness but also his conflicted love for Fox, the wife he couldn't kill, and his former lover, and the petty and demanding qualities that led him to vengence against his sons and Kyrchek are observable all the way through the show. CSM had a great arc into "Closure" just as had Mulder.

On a great deleted scene commentary for "Two Fathers" by Frank Spotnitz, the writer comments on a pivotal scene that had to be cut for time. Usually the scenes are lame but this one really explained things so much better. It involved Krychek expressing great respect for CSM and implying he wanted to follow in his footsteps, if Mulder definitely wasn't and Spender was too weak to. Spotnitz comments that, tragically for CSM, he turns Krychek down because he thought him too untrustworthy, but actually it would have saved the project or at least ended up better for them.

I loved the conspiracy, too, and was so sad the Well-Manicured Man was wasted in the film. However, the show was starting to run out of themes and new ideas in some way, and if they hadn't ended and explained the conspiracy in Season 6, then it might have had a much worse explanation and less dramatic story than the amazing way it ended in "Two Fathers/One Son". I remember reading how the 6th season was going to end in a 3 part story that would be resolved in the 7th season premiere, but delays with Duchovny directing his stupid baseball episode meant delays for his availability for acting, and so they created the crappy Lone Gunman episode. It was even reported by the actors that Jeremiah Smith and the Bounty Hunter were both hired. It could have been amazing because the show was still fairly good!

Thanks for the explanation. I really did misunderstand what happened to Samantha. I remember in an episode, after Mulder & Scully found all those files, he went his mother and asked "Did Dad make you choose?" And she cried and said she couldn't, and that Bill made the choice and she hated him for it.

I'm not saying Samantha should've been kept alive, but there was all this stuff we learned about the so-called clone wars. Samantha was clearly involved somehow in that. But then...the whole clone thing was just scrapped. I feel like CC jumped into another history for Samantha that seemed really out of place and didn't fit too well with what we had learned about her from the past.

I'll be fair, and repeat that I hardly saw Season 6 and beyond. I think part of me has consciously blocked most of it from my mind. I didn't like the new change in writing, the character shift, and the focus being turned away from mulder and scully.

unico said:

Thanks for the explanation. I really did misunderstand what happened to Samantha. I remember in an episode, after Mulder & Scully found all those files, he went his mother and asked "Did Dad make you choose?" And she cried and said she couldn't, and that Bill made the choice and she hated him for it.

I'm not saying Samantha should've been kept alive, but there was all this stuff we learned about the so-called clone wars. Samantha was clearly involved somehow in that. But then...the whole clone thing was just scrapped. I feel like CC jumped into another history for Samantha that seemed really out of place and didn't fit too well with what we had learned about her from the past.

I'll be fair, and repeat that I hardly saw Season 6 and beyond. I think part of me has consciously blocked most of it from my mind. I didn't like the new change in writing, the character shift, and the focus being turned away from mulder and scully.
You might want to watch the Season 6 two-parter "Two Fathers" and "One Son" which explains the conspiracy very well. I totally agree with you on the failed experimental shift to comedy in Season 6, though I did enjoy some episodes and some of the comedic moments. It was a lot better than Season 7, which tried to get back to dark stuff but felt really formulaic. Anyway, this 2-parter is quite good. The DVD sets are being sold without special features at a much lower price these days.

What's actually cool is that Chris Carter didn't really break from the conspiracy in revealing what happened to Samantha, but CSM was never going to reveal the truth until he no longer had a project to protect. I actually think this story benefits from being more personal and emotional than the more heavily conspiracy episodes which tend to be heavy on detailed explanations, which might have drained some of the drama. It was really quite wonderful, I think.

Anyway, don't read below if you want to enjoy it freshly, although I've already revealed lots of spoilers in my last post:

The clones of Samantha are alien, created from her ova. The are workers, just like Jeremiah Smith, who were to work on the project. Samantha herself was also taken away as a test subject for the creation of the alien/human hybrid, whose immunity would allow it to survive a planet infected with the black oil virus. Once the the conspirators were successful with one subject -- as they were with Cassandra -- they would replicate whatever they did with all the members of the syndicate and their families before beginning colonization.

If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask; I obsessed over this stuff in high school! :)

This just in from Sci Fi Wire:

Duchovny Has X-Files Reunion

The X-Files star David Duchovny told SCI FI Wire that he had a reunion lunch with co-star Gillian Anderson and series creator Chris Carter in Los Angeles recently to discuss the long-gestating X-Files big-screen sequel film.

"That was nice," Duchovny said while promoting his latest film, Things We Lost in the Fire. "I see Chris quite a bit. We live kind of in the same neighborhood. We live within maybe 10 or 15 miles of one another, but I hadn't seen Gillian in a while. So it was like a reunion. It really was. It was more emotional than I would have thought it was [going to be]. If you spend that much time with people and go through that much, there's a lot of residual feeling."

The X-Files 2 is tentatively set to go before the camera in December, with Carter directing, based on a script he wrote with veteran X-Files writer-producer Frank Spotnitz. Duchovny will reprise his role as FBI Special Agent Fox Mulder, and Anderson will return as Special Agent Dana Scully.

The plot remains a secret, but Duchovny expressed his hope that the second feature will recapture the essence of the series, which ran for nine seasons, from 1993 to 2002. It also spawned a spinoff TV show (The Lone Gunmen) and the first movie, The X-Files, which premiered in 1998.

"I want us to go out and do what the show always did best, which is really smart, scary, ultimately ambiguous stuff," Duchovny said. "I think there's been a lot of shows and movies that kind of tread the same area, or tried to, and I think we always did it best. And I hope we can go out and do it best again."

I'm really not sure how excited I can get about his, usually sequals that happen this late tend to forget what made the original so special.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I'm really not sure how excited I can get about his, usually sequals that happen this late tend to forget what made the original so special.

True, it at least sounds like they're conscious of this though.

Regardless, I'm sure I'll go see this opening week.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Actually, I agree in part and disagree in part.

I think, in this instance, they've had enough distance (and I'm sure they've heard enough feedback/flack) to know what worked in their series and what didn't.

When you're in the thick of it, you can't always see the forest for the trees . . . . you're just trying not to be boring and not to repeat yourself, but you can't always accurately gage if what you're doing is working, or as good as what you previously did, until time has passed.

Well, I think enough time has passed for them to know that: 1) Season 9 sucked, 2) The "truth" kinda sucked, 3) most fans hated the move to L.A., 4) most fans felt cheated by the resolution/convolution of the conspiracy theories in the later seasons.

I'm sure they are all well aware of this, and going to just focus on, as David said, trying to do what the show always did best. I'm sure the film will just play to X-Files strengths.

In addition, unlike Fight the Future, they don't have to worry about a summer movie messing with the continuity of the series, since there is no more series. They can just make the movie they want to and not worry about continuity.

Anyways, this is what I'm hoping, at least! :lol: *crosses finger, knocks on wood*

FitzChivalry said:

Well, I think enough time has passed for them to know that: 1) Season 9 sucked, 2) The "truth" kinda sucked, 3) most fans hated the move to L.A., 4) most fans felt cheated by the resolution/convolution of the conspiracy theories in the later seasons.

I'd agree with all of those. Duchovny has made his feelings on the weakness of a lot of these issues clear as well. I just hope that it doesn't end up being the "long episode" type of movie that happens too often with movie versions of TV shows.

I'm actually interested to see how Mulder and Scully will be involved. Will they be back in the FBI or not?

:hyper:

I was watching David Duchovny on some late night show the other night and he was talking about how he was excited about doing another X-Files movie...gaaaah!!!! The amazingness of it all!

corianderstem said:
I'm still waiting to see it to believe it. :grumpy:

iwantu2believe.jpg

Worst (and most blasphemous) photoshop ever.

I can't get over how different Gillian looked those first two seasons.

But man, that pilot episode - that barely even looks like her!

Awwwww David was so cute in his early days :cute: After that point he just became downright sexy :sexywink:

Gillian truly had quite the transformation from the 1st episode

Taking this as a great sign that David is excited about the movie. Remaining confident that it's going to be good and that it actually will happen :yes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom