Watchmen Trailer online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now I'm on Chapter 8... every character has gotten something to do, I'm loving it.

Just finished the book I was reading last night, I think I'll finally start this mambo-jambo this week.

The ending to end all endings, eh?

Damn, I might have to go out and buy this thing.

It's a shame that I've spent all my money on Capri Sun, cigarettes, and hookers.

I'm excited vicariously as you approach the ending to end all endings.

FTMFW.

SPOILERS BELOW!

I kind of called Ozymandias being involved with the plot after the Egyptian reference and there being a "Pyramid Industries," but everything after that shocked me. Dr. Manhattan vaporizing Rorshach? Holy shit. I'm glad Nite Owl hooked up with Silk Spectre... he's really the only truly likable character in the whole series. But an octopus monster blowing half of the New York straight to hell? Holy shit, yet again.

Maybe it's pointless to bring up this topic since the film's already in post, but what would your ideal cast for this have looked like if it was made now or in the early '90s?

I knew it.

yeah Laz, you must have forgotten that I was a tobacco model back in the 80's. This was always my favorite shot...

capri.jpg

Also, I suddenly remembered the existence of public libraries.

I'm sure they have a copy of this Watchmen thing that I can check out...for FREE.

Score one for the government!

SPOILERS BELOW!

Maybe it's pointless to bring up this topic since the film's already in post, but what would your ideal cast for this have looked like if it was made now or in the early '90s?

How awesome is that ending, though? He gets pwned, but then there's a chance that he'll get justice anyway. It's creepy, but you're like "YEAH!"...if they don't keep that last shot I'm going to burn down the studio. To me this question of "Who Was Right?" gives this ending its power.

BTW, when I read it the first time I kind of skimmed through the Black Freighter thing, because I was so into the plot. I'm not saying you did, but it just adds a whole other layer to the thing.

Anyway, I always thought that early 90's Burt Reynolds would have been a great Comedian. A bit younger than when it was in Boogie Nights. Of course, after hearing the suggestion of Deadwood's Ian McShane I realized the latter was the perfect choice. John Cusack was rumored as Nite Owl way back when...never liked that choice...Kevin Spacey, maybe? Liam Neeson? When Jude Law voiced his admiration for the comic and his desire to play Ozzy I thought that was perfect. And he never would have taken the role, but I always imagined Sean Penn as Rorshach. He seems a hell of a lot tougher than Jackie Earle Haley, and you know he can do crazy.

I was anticipating liking it, but not this much. It truly is the most celebrated graphic novel of our time for good reason.

Ok, but now you have to reread it again to immerse yourself in the different layers of the book.... whether it be in the lettering, panel layout, transitional elements, use of language, little behind the scenes things, like check out the triangles, where's Rorschach?, and so on.

It is probably the best example of how storytelling in a comic is a totally unique medium unlike novels and movies when done at its highest level. Although, there are many other great graphic novels out there too.

367,http:%2F%2Fus.ent4.yimg.com%2Fmovies.yahoo.com%2Fimages%2Fhv%2Fphoto%2Fmovie_pix%2Ftouchstone_pictures%2Fbig_trouble%2Fdennis_farina%2Ftrouble.jpg

My old Comedian, Dennis Farina

Watchmen2Medium.jpg

comedian.jpg

William H Macy as Rorschach.

Ok, but now you have to reread it again to immerse yourself in the different layers of the book.... whether it be in the lettering, panel layout, transitional elements, use of language, little behind the scenes things, like check out the triangles, where's Rorschach?, and so on.

It is probably the best example of how storytelling in a comic is a totally unique medium unlike novels and movies when done at its highest level. Although, there are many other great graphic novels out there too.

QFT.....there's a LOT going on that you can easily miss upon first reading.

YLB, if you do re-read, do it slowly and....look around. My favorite...nuance?....is in Fearful Symmetry.....I'll not give it away, but it's pretty cool, at least to me.

How awesome is that ending, though? He gets pwned, but then there's a chance that he'll get justice anyway. It's creepy, but you're like "YEAH!"...if they don't keep that last shot I'm going to burn down the studio. To me this question of "Who Was Right?" gives this ending its power.

BTW, when I read it the first time I kind of skimmed through the Black Freighter thing, because I was so into the plot. I'm not saying you did, but it just adds a whole other layer to the thing.

Anyway, I always thought that early 90's Burt Reynolds would have been a great Comedian. A bit younger than when it was in Boogie Nights. Of course, after hearing the suggestion of Deadwood's Ian McShane I realized the latter was the perfect choice. John Cusack was rumored as Nite Owl way back when...never liked that choice...Kevin Spacey, maybe? Liam Neeson? When Jude Law voiced his admiration for the comic and his desire to play Ozzy I thought that was perfect. And he never would have taken the role, but I always imagined Sean Penn as Rorshach. He seems a hell of a lot tougher than Jackie Earle Haley, and you know he can do crazy.

Hell yeah. I love the fact that the two most intelligent characters in the story are proven wrong at the end... it just goes to show that guys like The Comedian and Rorshach, the unliked shits, were more in the right. You can't find that kind of moral and intellectual complexity everywhere.

I tried paying attention to the Black Freighter stuff and enjoyed the subtext, but toward the end I got so wrapped up in the plot that I started skimming through it. Same thing happened with the ending sections starting with Dan Dreiberg's Owl write-up.

I've still gotta think of my both of my casts, but names like Gary Oldman, Burt Reynolds, and Michael Keaton have popped up.

QFT.....there's a LOT going on that you can easily miss upon first reading.

YLB, if you do re-read, do it slowly and....look around. My favorite...nuance?....is in Fearful Symmetry.....I'll not give it away, but it's pretty cool, at least to me.

I tried picking up as much as possible on my first read, but I'll most definitely be giving this a second read. I checked it out from a library just to see if I loved it, now I'm going to purchase it.

I tried paying attention to the Black Freighter stuff and enjoyed the subtext, but toward the end I got so wrapped up in the plot that I started skimming through it. Same thing happened with the ending sections starting with Dan Dreiberg's Owl write-up.

Some of the Black Freighter lines lead right into events in the real world of the comic. It's pretty remarkable how Moore and Gibbons achieved this cohesiveness. The end of the book writeups like Hollis Mason's book are pretty interesting reads too.

Some of the Black Freighter lines lead right into events in the real world of the comic. It's pretty remarkable how Moore and Gibbons achieved this cohesiveness. The end of the book writeups like Hollis Mason's book are pretty interesting reads too.

That I greatly enjoyed, and how most of the flashbacks played out, especially during the funeral scene. Hollis Mason's writeups at the end were my favorite of the bunch.

So I heard that the Black Freighter stuff is going to be released as a direct-to-DVD thing before the film's release, not be in the movie, but then be re-instated for the DVD release. I think that's a decent compromise, no?

I'm not sure if I ever read Dan Drieberg's article for the bird magazine more than once. I definitely couldn't get through it this last time.

I always pictured Demi Moore as Silk Spectre, and strangely she probably still looks young enough to play the part.

I'm not sure if I ever read Dan Drieberg's article for the bird magazine more than once. I definitely couldn't get through it this last time.

I always pictured Demi Moore as Silk Spectre, and strangely she probably still looks young enough to play the part.

Most of these guys are supposed to be in their '30s and '40s right? Or would they be in their mid-20's/early '30s and aged accordingly?

I've been wracked my brain and researching on IMDb trying to figure out my ideal cast/director combos, and here's what I came up with:

Watchmen, Directed by Terry Gilliam (1993)

Starring:

Mel Gibson as Edward Blake aka ‘The Comedian’
Michael Keaton as Walter Kovacs, aka ‘Rorschach’
Sean Young as Laurie Juspeczyk, aka ‘Silk Spectre II’
Jeff Bridges as Dan Dreiberg, aka ‘Nite Owl II’
Daniel Day-Lewis as Jon Osterman, aka ‘Dr. Manhattan’
Ralph Fiennes as Adrian Veidt, aka ‘Ozymandias’
Sigourney Weaver as Sally Jupiter, aka ‘Silk Spectre’
Dustin Hoffman as Hollis Mason, aka ‘Nite Owl’
Christopher Lloyd as Edward Jacobi, aka ‘Moloch the Mystic’
Alec Baldwin as Nelson Gardner, aka ‘Captain Metropolis’
---

Watchmen, Directed by David Fincher (2009)

Starring:

Russell Crowe as Edward Blake aka ‘The Comedian’
Gary Oldman as Walter Kovacs, aka ‘Rorschach’
Charlize Theron as Laurie Juspeczyk, aka ‘Silk Spectre II’
Edward Norton as Dan Dreiberg, aka ‘Nite Owl II’
Hugh Jackman as Jon Osterman, aka ‘Dr. Manhattan’
Matt Damon as Adrian Veidt, aka ‘Ozymandias’
Helena Bonham Carter as Sally Jupiter, aka ‘Silk Spectre’
Dennis Quaid as Hollis Mason, aka ‘Nite Owl’
Steve Buscemi as Edward Jacobi, aka ‘Moloch the Mystic’
William H. Macy as Nelson Gardner, aka ‘Captain Metropolis’
---

Your thoughts?

I've been wracked my brain and researching on IMDb trying to figure out my ideal cast/director combos, and here's what I came up with:

Watchmen, Directed by Terry Gilliam (1993)

Starring:

Mel Gibson as Edward Blake aka ‘The Comedian’
Michael Keaton as Walter Kovacs, aka ‘Rorschach’
Sean Young as Laurie Juspeczyk, aka ‘Silk Spectre II’
Jeff Bridges as Dan Dreiberg, aka ‘Nite Owl II’
Daniel Day-Lewis as Jon Osterman, aka ‘Dr. Manhattan’
Ralph Fiennes as Adrian Veidt, aka ‘Ozymandias’
Sigourney Weaver as Sally Jupiter, aka ‘Silk Spectre’
Dustin Hoffman as Hollis Mason, aka ‘Nite Owl’
Christopher Lloyd as Edward Jacobi, aka ‘Moloch the Mystic’
Alec Baldwin as Nelson Gardner, aka ‘Captain Metropolis’
---

Watchmen, Directed by David Fincher (2009)

Starring:

Russell Crowe as Edward Blake aka ‘The Comedian’
Gary Oldman as Walter Kovacs, aka ‘Rorschach’
Charlize Theron as Laurie Juspeczyk, aka ‘Silk Spectre II’
Edward Norton as Dan Dreiberg, aka ‘Nite Owl II’
Hugh Jackman as Jon Osterman, aka ‘Dr. Manhattan’
Matt Damon as Adrian Veidt, aka ‘Ozymandias’
Helena Bonham Carter as Sally Jupiter, aka ‘Silk Spectre’
Dennis Quaid as Hollis Mason, aka ‘Nite Owl’
Steve Buscemi as Edward Jacobi, aka ‘Moloch the Mystic’
William H. Macy as Nelson Gardner, aka ‘Captain Metropolis’
---

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are that the studio would not want to pay that many stars to appear in such a film.

My thoughts are that the studio would not want to pay that many stars to appear in such a film.

Right, I'm just saying in an ideal world and they all went "Hey, we'd work for however much you wanna pay us because Watchmen is the balls." In terms of appearance and acting ability, do you think they work?

Right, I'm just saying in an ideal world and they all went "Hey, we'd work for however much you wanna pay us because Watchmen is the balls." In terms of appearance and acting ability, do you think they work?

In my ideal world, I wipe each and every little bastard off of the face of the planet. Now, do you still want me to proceed?

In my ideal world, I wipe each and every little bastard off of the face of the planet. Now, do you still want me to proceed?

Douche.

I was alarmed at how many times Rorschach was called a little bastard... so I felt a kinship with him, even if I'm 95% less badass than he is.

Back
Top Bottom