True Detective.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did not view it as a twist and I don't think it was intended to be one the way Brother Mouzone and the other guy played those interrogations. It was clear from the start that they viewed Rust as a suspect.

I don't think the satanism thing is a red herring, though. All of that material is heavily referencing this piece:

The King in Yellow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As Little Lord Piss, you must feel a kinship with the King in Yellow.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look at it after the show concludes, I'm just going to go along with the ride Pizzolatto and Fukunaga have set up for us first. I guess the biggest example of the WHAT A TWIST mentality are Rust and Martin themselves, especially Martin.

True Detective.

And while I have heard more than one person echo YLB's sentiment regarding wanting more levity, I for one am glad there is none. Don't need it, plenty of other places to get it, past or present. IN MY OPINION.

Also, while I certainly enjoyed the True Detective shoot-out more than Breaking Bad's, I for the life of me cannot understand what one thing has to do with the other.

Lastly, agreed with GAF that Rust wandering the abandoned school was eerie as fuck.

I definitely slide down the slippery slope of wanting something from art vs. what it's actually giving. It's weird though. I dig the show a great deal but am trying to pinpoint why it's not totally jiving.

I, for one, am very glad that Marty's affair didn't last for a couple more episodes.

I definitely slide down the slippery slope of wanting something from art vs. what it's actually giving. It's weird though. I dig the show a great deal but am trying to pinpoint why it's not totally jiving.

I, for one, am very glad that Marty's affair didn't last for a couple more episodes.

That is actually my biggest issue with the show right now as well, and was what almost turned me off completely the first couple episodes. It's not entirely humorless, but most of that humor stems from Marty being like "Gee-whiz Rust, you're a bit fucking nuts huh" which isn't exactly funny, and there's certainly zero levity to the thing. Which still rubs me the wrong way. I don't think it's necessarily a case of wanting something from a work that it's actively avoiding either, as the case here has an almost overbearing seriousness which is to the show's detriment, in my opinion. Each episode also also has an almost identical structure in terms of drumming up a sense of swirling dread and suspense in the final 15 minutes, often cutting between three or four different threads in the past and present, and it's a little silly/tiring as a result.

I don't think it's a case of say, not liking David Lynch because you think his films need to make more sense on a scene-by-scene basis, or Lars Von Trier because he needs to put his camera on a tripod instead of hand-holding it nearly the whole time. Which is demanding something counter to what the works are giving. With this it's kind of like, man, there's no reason things can't be a little more dynamic in terms of tone. Look at Twin Peaks or Zodiac even, those are even more creepy and powerful as a result of being pretty damn funny and/of light on their feet at times. Anyway, I'm sort of predisposed/biased against super-serious stuff anyway. I do like my fiction to have at least some degree of levity, as we're discussing.

Cohle's posture is the funniest part of the show. Go back and look at the way he walked away after Marty got bent out of shape about him mowing the lawn.

"THERE IS NOTHING FUNNY ABOUT LlFE ON THE BAYOU, OK? IT'S VERY SERIOUS BUSINESS, AND THE SERIOUSNESS JUST GETS MORE SERIOUS WHEN YOU INTRODUCE MURDER TO THE SITUATION. TOSS IN SOME METH AND RELIGIOUS OVERTONES AND THE MIRTH TAKES A FUCKING WALK."

- Mark Twain, 1902

I'm a week late, but I saw this and shot milk out of my nose.

tumblr_n0lowfJl221tsoz9lo1_1280.png

I hadn't had any milk in days, which made it extra special.

It was, and I actually thought it was a pretty funny one. Apparently it didn't translate. I also liked my response to deep.

Overall, as I drifted to sleep last night, I thought to myself "You know, I think I made two pretty funny posts there in the True Detective thread."

The response has been underwhelming.

It was, and I actually thought it was a pretty funny one. Apparently it didn't translate. I also liked my response to deep.

Overall, as I drifted to sleep last night, I thought to myself "You know, I think I made two pretty funny posts there in the True Detective thread."

The response has been underwhelming.

I wrote it down in my diary later that night!

I like any excuse to use "woof" in print.
True Detective.

Check out the snazzy Houston Oilers jacket.

I loved the Moon era Oilers and the run and shoot.

This show is awesome guys. I'm excited to see how it ends.

All of your random 'True Detective' posts kept this thread at the top of Zoo Station and gave me reason to check the show out. :up:

I can't get over the fact that the guy's name is Rust Coal.

(Yes, I know it's Cohle or however it's spelled. But fucking RUST COAL. It's like the worst cliche of a soap opera name ever.)

Back
Top Bottom