They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? 1,000 Greatest Films

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try the Empire list, guys. YIKES.

And did anyone else think Starship Troopers was a little out of place on the Top 1000 list?

I want to say RoboCop was on there. Let me double check.

EDIT: Holy shit, it isn't.

So I finished with 535 on the main list. I guess I should feel good about that but I don't. Some of the rankings are fucking ridiculous; they need to eliminate some of the pool they're taking these things from.

I got around 200 from the Empire list, I think, and 61 of the Best Picture winners.

Well as you guys are asking, I'm still knocking around, but my internet time overall has been severely reduced what with getting engaged and finally moving out, so I don't have much time to myself anymore. I usually check during my lunch breaks at work but you bloody Shuttlecockers fill so many pages of posts I never have time to contribute after I finish reading, heh. Plus I've just spent the last two weeks in Canada away from the compie.

I'm missing 34 out of those top 100 btw.

Only on the first 100 right now, and I'm at like 15 or so. I don't feel too bad about the small number, I can't see every movie ever made, and I really don't always have an interest in seeing some of the "great classics" or what not. I love movies, but...I just love watching them, and I'll pretty much watch whatever comes my way, great or just a good movie to watch.

Uh...anyways.

106. I mean...some of those placements were a little disappointing. Specifically Shawkshank and American Beauty. Otherwise, that was a fun list, and a LOT of stuff I want to see, or am now curious about at any rate.

Well as you guys are asking, I'm still knocking around, but my internet time overall has been severely reduced what with getting engaged and finally moving out, so I don't have much time to myself anymore. I usually check during my lunch breaks at work but you bloody Shuttlecockers fill so many pages of posts I never have time to contribute after I finish reading, heh. Plus I've just spent the last two weeks in Canada away from the compie.

I'm missing 34 out of those top 100 btw.

Congratulations on your engagement!!!!

And The Matrix does? I'm just saying some of the placements past like 600 were strange.

Or Starship Troopers. Like Laz said, they pull from too many sources that seem a little less legit than others.

Starship Troopers is only bizarre because of the lack of Robocop as I said before. The Matrix deserves a spot I'd say, but I'm a bigger fan of that film than most these days it seems, so :shrug:

BURN!!

terminator2thumbsup.jpg

Spent the better part of the night organizing this list into a double-set of Flixster lists. That'll serve some purpose somewhere down the line.

I hope.

Just saw this. I did pretty good on the American films, but sorely deficient on the foreign ones. Spielberg seems to be over-rated on this list, and it seems certain directors had pretty high rankings regardless of the film. I guess some of the sources are a bit questionable(maybe biased), judging by previous posts. ET at 137, but Star Wars only 110 and Good the Bad and the Ugly 187. Ferris Bueller, Bridges of Madison County don't belong. Das Boot does. And Robocop does belong if your gonna include so many later slasher films.

If Goodfellas and LA Confidential are rated so high, then you gotta find space for Public Enemy or G Men or Angels with Dirty Faces, etc.....

Mr Smith goes to Washington but not Meet John Doe. Pretty much the same film :wink:

As a kid, I never paid much attention to the directors. I never realized Howard Hawks made so many great comedies. And that I liked so many by John Ford. I think the only director I was really aware of as a youngster was Hitchcock. Probably cuz his films were shown more frequently and we liked the scary mysteries. And of course his tv show helped. He is well represented here.

Glad to see a few Jerry Lewis listed. He had a pretty good 10 year run.

Pink Flamingos, Dazed and Confused, The princess Bride, Spinal Tap but no Saturday Night Fever.

I think many early screwball/slapstick comedies get over-looked and the genre is usually represented by It Happened One Night or Bringing Up Baby and a few others. But there are so many of similar quality from the 30's and 40's that just don't get the love. Squeeze in an early Shirley Temple. Or how 'bout Laurel & Hardy.

Nice to see You Can't Take It With You and Emerald Forest make it.

Well, just a few thoughts...

Back
Top Bottom