"The Wrestler" Thread-Mickey Rourke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The movie made me sad because he never figured things out.

<>

Sure, he figured things out. He figured if he's going to die, he's going to die doing the only thing he knows best: wrestling.

It was sad that he wasn't able to patch things up with his daughter, though.

The Ram did the same thing to his daughter
as Rourke did to his fans in the 80s

it was depicted in this film
the scene where he took that chunky blond in the bathroom and bent her over

let's hope he does not do it to us again.

Sure, he figured things out. He figured if he's going to die, he's going to die doing the only thing he knows best: wrestling.

It was sad that he wasn't able to patch things up with his daughter, though.

Nooooo...

That wasn't the message I took from it.

<>

Nooooo...

That wasn't the message I took from it.

<>

The guy that was Robin became Randy The Ram. Eventually, he lived his gimmick. He didn't like it when they called him "Robin" at the deli. He would always say "call me Randy". Usually, a pro wrestler goes by his real name in the non-wrestling world. But, "Robin" wanted to be called Randy The Ram. He wasn't good at relationships or having a "real job". He only knew wrestling. Wrestling was his life and even if he really shouldn't have been medically cleared to wrestle, he was gonna do it until he died. Because he figured if he was going to die, it might as well be in a wrestling ring doing what he does best, perform for the fans. That's my take. What was your perspective?

The guy that was Robin became Randy The Ram. Eventually, he lived his gimmick. He didn't like it when they called him "Robin" at the deli. He would always say "call me Randy". Usually, a pro wrestler goes by his real name in the non-wrestling world. But, "Robin" wanted to be called Randy The Ram. He wasn't good at relationships or having a "real job". He only knew wrestling. Wrestling was his life and even if he really shouldn't have been medically cleared to wrestle, he was gonna do it until he died. Because he figured if he was going to die, it might as well be in a wrestling ring doing what he does best, perform for the fans. That's my take. What was your perspective?

That he felt rejected by his daughter and he decided to kill himself in the ring.

<>

But some of us feel that you have the power to change your fate, Randy lost his will to change his fate-which is sad.

<>

I couldn't even look at the wrestling scenes, they were so brutal. I thought all that stuff was fake, maybe that's just the professional. But wasn't he supposed to be a former pro wrestler? Also the way they talked about what they were going to do beforehand, that gave the impression that it was fake in some ways.

I thought the acting made the movie, and that the best parts of it were the scenes with his daughter. Should have had more of that (and backstory about his daughter) and less of the wrestling.

I haven't seen Milk but I would think it has to be a race between Mickey and Sean Penn for the Oscar. Mickey blows Pitt out of the water imo. Don't know about Jenkins or Langella, haven't seen those movies either.

I couldn't even look at the wrestling scenes, they were so brutal. I thought all that stuff was fake, maybe that's just the professional. But wasn't he supposed to be a former pro wrestler? Also the way they talked about what they were going to do beforehand, that gave the impression that it was fake in some ways.

I thought the acting made the movie, and that the best parts of it were the scenes with his daughter. Should have had more of that (and backstory about his daughter) and less of the wrestling.

I haven't seen Milk but I would think it has to be a race between Mickey and Sean Penn for the Oscar. Mickey blows Pitt out of the water imo. Don't know about Jenkins or Langella, haven't seen those movies either.

He definitely was a pro-wrestler, as the beginning credits allude to... and his rematch with The Ayatollah at the end.

Sean Penn and Langella are both more deserving of the win than Mickey.

But the votes will probably end this way:

1. Penn
2. Rourke
3. Langella

They never release the results,
but that is my guess.

The BAFTAS just started about half an hour ago so we won't get to Best Actor for awhile. Fingers crossed for Mickey!

Mickey did further confirm on the red carpet that he's doing Expendables(with Stallone), the Walter Hill film(St Vincent), and Wild Horses - the film he's been wanting to do for 18 years. It's about two brothers that haven't seen each other for years and go on one last motorcycle trip with each other. He said he might be doing Iron Man so that's still up in the air.

Yesssssssssss!!! Best Actor!

His speech will go down as one the best in awards history. Hilarious.....everyone was laughing. I can't remember much but there was 'f' words and he said that Marisa was brave for taking her clothes off all the time and he liked looking at her....LOL. She was laughing too. Sharon Stone was loving it.

Here is some of it -

'Thank you to Darren Aronofsky for giving me another chance after I f***ed up my career for the past 15 years.'

'And thank you to my agent for telling me exactly what to eat, what to wear and what to f***.'

To which, host Jonathan Ross answered: 'A great speech from Mickey Rourke - who is now suspended for three months.' The comment had been in reference to Ross' own suspension at the BBC.

Next up on stage to present the Best Film award, Mick Jagger continued the joke: 'You thought it was going to be Jonathan doing all the f***ing - and it was Mickey.'

I wanted to watch the BAFTAS on BBC but I had to see some of the Grammys and my Sunday night shows

slide_948_16001_large.jpg

Mickey Rourke, who thanked his dogs during his Golden Globes best actor acceptance speech, says his pooches received a shout-out for one simple reason: They were there for him during his darkest hour more than a decade ago.

"I sort of self-destructed and everything came out about fourteen years ago or so ... the wife had left, the career was over, the money was not an ounce," Rourke, 56, reveals during the Oscar night edition of The Barbara Walters Special, of which PEOPLE has an exclusive preview. "The dogs were there when no one else was there."

But the star of The Wrestler says his split from ex-wife, actress-model Carre Otis, 40, further exacerbated his personal turmoil. "What happened was, I was not in a really good place in my head and my heart, and I think when the wife left, it all came down and I didn't want to be here."

But when asked by Walters if, at the time, he was suicidal, Rourke said, "Look, there's always a weak way out. I've always known that. Yeah, I didn't want to be here, but I didn't want to kill myself. I just wanted to push a button and disappear."

And at the point, Rourke turned to his dogs.

"I think I hadn't left the house for four or five months, and I was sitting in the closet, sleeping in the closet for some reason, and I was in a bad place, and I just remember I was thinking, 'Oh, man, if I do this,' " he tells Walters. "And then I looked at my dog, Lowjack, and he made a sound, like a little almost human sound. I don't have kids, the dogs became everything to me. The dog was looking at me going, 'Who's going to take care of me?' "

Loki died :(

NEW YORK — Mickey Rourke is headed to the Academy Awards both as a nominee and a grieving pet owner after the death of his 17-year-old Chihuahua, Loki.

A representative for Rourke, Judy Woloshen, said the actor's beloved dog died Monday night.

Says Rourke: "Loki is deeply missed but with me in spirit. I feel very blessed that she fell asleep peacefully in my arms."

Rourke, who's having a career comeback with his acclaimed performance in "The Wrestler," was especially close to Loki and is a longtime owner of chihuahuas.

Art imitates life I guess, or life imitates art. Whatever..

I also read that Mickey might not do Iron Man 2, that his agent wants more money for him to do it

I also read that Mickey might not do Iron Man 2, that his agent wants more money for him to do it

I don't know what he originally agreed to do it for.

But, I hope he does not get stupid and ruin his career a 2nd time.

For his sake, I hope Sean Penn or even Langella wins on Sunday.

Art imitates life I guess, or life imitates art. Whatever..

They offered him peanuts, so why not? Same reason that Sam Jackson might not be able to stick around either, as sad as it is.

He is, however, locked on to do the Stallone action flick The Expendables, which looks pretty awesome.

Deep, if you're throwing out Penn and Langella, why not Dick Jenkins? I wouldn't put it on par with Penn's performance, which I found to be at the same caliber as Rourke's, but Jenkins was such a surprise in The Visitor that I don't know, I really liked him in it.

Funny you mention Stallone,
He gave a big speech why Mickey has to win
the jest of his reasoning, Mickey lived this, this is Mickey's life!!

Where is the streach for Mickey's work or even Jenkin's work?

both good actors
but when you hear them interviewed, they sound just like their characters. :shrug:

Penn and Langella each took their craft to a new and greater place.

Nicole Kidman's best work was in The Hours,
William Heard, Kiss of the Spider Woman

The French actress, from last year Mairion, again great and demanding work.

Do some people just want actors to win because they related to the story or character? They liked the character or movie more?

Back
Top Bottom