"The Wrestler" Thread-Mickey Rourke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to see this on Thursday I think. My brother said he loved it and we have a similar taste in movies so I'm looking forward to it. :)

so did you see it - Antiram?

apparently Mickey Rourke did not give his best performance
- he held something back

Last edited:
This movie proves that working the deli counter is the most depressing job ever.

That and what's really cool is that those were real customers he was serving. Most of the deli scenes were improvised. The lady that helped drive him over the edge was the director's mother though.

I loved that his boss at the deli is the bongo player in the Crazy Dogggz.

Arf, arf. Do the doggy bounce.

That and what's really cool is that those were real customers he was serving. Most of the deli scenes were improvised. The lady that helped drive him over the edge was the director's mother though.

the lady that asked for two large (chicken) breasts
when Randy replied, "That's what I'm looking for, two large breasts and brains."

was a real customer and a total improvise.

for all you fans that can't get enough of Randy 'the ram'

here is a link to an interview with the director

'The Wrestler' Director: Fake Sport, Real Pathos : NPR

rourke_540.jpg

Mickey Rourke hired a former Israeli commando and cage fighter to be his trainer for the film.
Aronofsky says that every day, Rourke lifted weights twice and consumed about 7,000 calories.

I heard that interview yesterday...it was really good and made me really want to see the film even more

Here is an awesome interview of Mickey by Christopher Walken for Interview Magazine recently. Great stuff with some interesting bits from years ago when they used to hang out and work together. If you like these two actors then you will not want to miss reading this article.

Mickey Rourke - Interview Magazine

I saw him on Larry King last night with Chris Jericho and it was obvious they were setting it all up for a rumble, Jericho was all offended and angry.... Maybe Mickey will wash his hair for the occasion :D

HOUSTON (AP) -- Listen up wrestlin' fans: actor Mickey Rourke says he's ready to rumble with WWE superstar Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania 25 in Reliant Stadium on April 5.

Rourke portrays professional wrestler Randy the Ram in the acclaimed movie "The Wrestler."

He's signed to wrestle Jericho, for real.

He made a surprise announcement Sunday night on the red carpet before the Screen Actors Guild Awards in Los Angeles.

He said he was pleased by the acceptance of the movie by all the WWE wrestlers — except Jericho.

Then Rourke said he was going to toss Jericho "around the ring like tossed salad."

Meanwhile, Jericho, appearing on WWE television, said, Rourke was out of line and that he was offended by Rourke's comments. He said Rourke made "a mistake."

Stay tuned.

PWInsider is already reporting that, according to Rourke's publicist, Mickey will NOT be participating in this year's WrestleMania.

So, the plot thickens but, honestly, this can't be helping Mickey's chances of winning an Oscar. What Hell is he doing? :doh:

Now, PWInsider is reporting that Mickey will be at WrestleMania to support the WWE Superstars who support the movie The Wrestler.

Once again, stay tuned. WrestleMania isn't until April.

^So many news sources are saying he's not doing it. I hope his reps would have the intelligence to plead and beg him not to do it. Let's bloody well hope anyway!

I've got some Mickey buzz,

- As he mentioned on Larry King the other night he's working on doing a film with Tony Scott again, which is a drama that might film in Berlin. He also mentioned doing something again with director Walter Hill(he did Johnny Handsome).

- The latest rumour is Bollywood director Vidhu Vinod Chopra is going to make his Hollywood premiere with film 'Broken Horses' and he's got Mickey as the leading man. It's a gangster genre film that will be filmed in NY and New Mexico. Mark Johnson (of ‘Chronicles of Narnia’, ‘The Notebook’ and ‘Rain Man’ fame) is the executive producer of the film, and Chris Buchinsky (’Hancock’, ‘Spiderman 2′) is the story board artist.

- Mickey will be on the Barbara Walters special on Oscar night!

- Sylvester Stallone recent quotes on Mickey. He wasn't surprised that Mickey Rourke is receiving critical acclaim for his role in 'The Wrestler' saying,

"I can totally believe it. It was just a matter of time... He's a tough ass guy. He's old school... Eventually someone was going to do a story that captures his heart, his plight and his biography."

"Mickey, if anybody deserves an Oscar, it's you. No question about it. You lived it. You earned it. You deserve it. You're an incredibly talented man. It's about time everyone says, 'You know what. Give it to the winner."

He was kissing all the beautiful women at the SAG Awards, even Angelina. On the cheek of course, or Brad would have kicked his ass. Maybe, if he could.

It reminded me a bit of Gary Busey when he grabbed Jennifer Garner and planted one on her. Not nearly as awkward or crazy, but especially the Kate Winslet/Mickey one.

I do hope his career continues and that this won't be a one shot deal for him. I haven't seen The Wrestler, I hope I can in a theater and not have to wait for DVD.

It reminded me a bit of Gary Busey when he grabbed Jennifer Garner and planted one on her. Not nearly as awkward or crazy, but especially the Kate Winslet/Mickey one.

:lol::lol::lol:
I remember that....it was hilarious..mainly cause Jennifer had no clue who he was!! :lol:

Watched this yesterday and thought it was excellent. Shot really well. Those scenes with the camera following behind him as he's walking along...hearing his heavy breathing and groans. You could feel the aches and pains that he was constantly experiencing. Sad ending - great song from Bruce.

I loved that his boss at the deli is the bongo player in the Crazy Dogggz.

Arf, arf. Do the doggy bounce.

The entire movie I'm thinking to myself, "How the hell do I know this guy?", I'm walking out of the theater and realize, "Holy shit, that was the dude from Crazy Dogggz!"

Conchords_112_The_Third_Conchord.jpg

I really enjoyed this, although I didn't believe for a second any red-blooded young male would turn down a lap dance from Marisa Tomei.

The person I went to the movie with and I discussed that as well...

Overall, I really enjoyed it. It was one of those films that stuck with me quite a while after it was over. I liked that the relationship between him and his daughter wasn't one sided in who you were supposed to be siding with, and it was easy to sympathize with both. I also really enjoyed how they never specifically discussed or showed how he went from huge fame to where he was, and how the ending leaves it all up to you as well. It seems like Hollywood always has to over explain things, so it's refreshing to see something that doesn't hold your hand for 2 hours and tell you what you're supposed to think.

Favorite line: “The eighties fuckin’ ruled, man, till that pussy Cobain came and fucked it all up.”

I really enjoyed this, although I didn't believe for a second any red-blooded young male would turn down a lap dance from Marisa Tomei.

And I certainly never would pass up a lap dance from Marisa Tomei - she looks fantastic. :drool:

They should give the Oscar to Tomei's body.

Tomei has the body of a woman in her 20s (period)

It made no sense whatsoever that she would not do well in a dance club.

There are plenty of actresses in there late 30s or 40s that look closer to their age. and would have been more believable as "over the hill".

Casting her and throwing her naked body on the screen was just a way of satisfying all us male fans.

I've got some video links for 2 fantastic and very candid roundtable interviews with Mickey. The first one is for the Hollywood Reporter with Mickey Rourke, Ed Harris, Josh Brolin, Hugh Jackman, Richard Jenkins, and Benicio Del Toro.

A heart felt, and for me, emotional moment when a sincere Ed Harris says, "It's good to have you back Mickey".

4 streamed videos approx 12mins -
Actors Roundtable with Rourke, Brolin, Jackman, and�More - Get The Big Picture -

thr_actors.jpg

The second roundtable is for Newsweek with Mickey Rourke, Robert Downey Jr, Brad Pitt, Anne Hathaway, Frank Langella, and Sally Hawkins.

A humbled Brad Pitt says to Mickey- "When I started out, trying to figure out acting, I had three gods. It was Penn, it was Oldman, it was Rourke."

Newsweek's Oscar Roundtable | Newsweek The Oscars | Newsweek.com

YT links of it all on one page. This has extra video that isn't on the Newsweek site, with tidbits on the US election and where each person was. Hilarious cause everyone goes into serious talk of where they were on election night and Downey asks Mickey and he simply says he doesn't get involved in politics as he's not qualified and leaves it up to everyone else. They're all like....oh, and then move on to someone else.

Oscar Roundtable with Pitt, Langella, Hawkins, Downey Jr., Rourke and Hathaway - RopeofSilicon.com Movie News, Trailers, Reviews and More

24ayaa8.jpg

I forgot there was a thread devoted to this and posted over in the general movie thread instead. I really loved it. Although I agree it was ridiculous to think that anyone would turn down a lap dance from Marisa Tomei (just as it was that the two women in Knocked Up weren't allowed in the club because they were too old), somehow it all worked for me anyway. I've been thinking about the movie the last few hours so it kind of got to me.

I forgot there was a thread devoted to this and posted over in the general movie thread instead. I really loved it. Although I agree it was ridiculous to think that anyone would turn down a lap dance from Marisa Tomei (just as it was that the two women in Knocked Up weren't allowed in the club because they were too old), somehow it all worked for me anyway. I've been thinking about the movie the last few hours so it kind of got to me. 6/10

What nobody sitting next to you giving running commentary?

What nobody sitting next to you giving running commentary?

Apparently 5PM Monday is a good time to see a movie here. Now I know.

There was one loud-mouthed couple but they managed to STFU until the credits rolled, which meant they ruined Springsteen but I can live with that since I downloaded the song. I still gave them a dirty look, though.

Back
Top Bottom