The Pacific

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
Did anyone else catch the first episode? What did you think? Surprised no other Band of Brothers fanatics had made a thread yet.

If you don't have HBO, don't illegally download movies / tv, and would like to see the first episode (and then become pissed off because they likely won't stream any future episodes), you can watch it here if you register for the site:

HBO: The Pacific: Homepage

I only watched the first 10 mins of it then I switched it when the first battle scene occurred. I could not handle it. I have a hard time watching war movies with graphic battle scenes. It makes me uneasy. When those scenes are over, I can go back to watching it. I will eventually watch the 1st episode all the way through. I liked what I saw though. especially the opening when they were interviewing war vets.

The question is, what did you think?

As some assumed beforehand, they seem to be trying to show atrocities on both sides, and the racist propaganda that was shoved down peoples' throats at the time. It seems to maintain a good balance though, but I assume it's going to be upsetting and off putting for the types of Americans' who choose to pretend their country did no wrong historically.

Once they got to Guadalcanal, it became quite tense, and they did a good job showing the confusion the Allies had when they arrived essentially without resistance. The first battle scene was properly intense and confusing, and I thought they did a good job shooting and presenting it. Hopefully it becomes easier to distinguish the characters with more episodes, but I imagine having to wait a week in between will make it a little rough. I can't really remember if you felt like you didn't recognize anyone in Band of Brothers at first or not. I think it's off to a good start, the episode felt like it was over far too soon. They're going a slightly different route than they did with Band of Brothers, but it still feels familiar.

On a personal note, it's one of those things, like Thin Red Line, where it's even more unsettling for me to watch since I understand what the Japanese soldiers are saying, makes it all seem that much more wrong. Regardless, I'm glad the less glamorous and camera friendly theater of the war is being shown in a series. I'm glad they're not pretending like the government sponsored de-humanizing racist propaganda didn't exist, and glad they're actually mentioning and showing the tremendous amount of casualties and losses America suffered in the Pacific.

As some assumed beforehand, they seem to be trying to show atrocities on both sides, and the racist propaganda that was shoved down peoples' throats at the time. It seems to maintain a good balance though, but I assume it's going to be upsetting and off putting for the types of Americans' who choose to pretend their country did no wrong historically.

Once they got to Guadalcanal, it became quite tense, and they did a good job showing the confusion the Allies had when they arrived essentially without resistance. The first battle scene was properly intense and confusing, and I thought they did a good job shooting and presenting it. Hopefully it becomes easier to distinguish the characters with more episodes, but I imagine having to wait a week in between will make it a little rough. I can't really remember if you felt like you didn't recognize anyone in Band of Brothers at first or not. I think it's off to a good start, the episode felt like it was over far too soon. They're going a slightly different route than they did with Band of Brothers, but it still feels familiar.

On a personal note, it's one of those things, like Thin Red Line, where it's even more unsettling for me to watch since I understand what the Japanese soldiers are saying, makes it all seem that much more wrong. Regardless, I'm glad the less glamorous and camera friendly theater of the war is being shown in a series. I'm glad they're not pretending like the government sponsored de-humanizing racist propaganda didn't exist, and glad they're actually mentioning and showing the tremendous amount of casualties and losses America suffered in the Pacific.
The recognition of wrong on "our" side sounds cool! I remember when "Saving Private Ryan" came out, right wing nuts like Bay Buchanan were saying it was anti-American and ruined our memory of America's role in the war by showing its savagery. I hate these people.

I wasn't a fan of "Band of Brothers" when I bought the DVD set for my father, but he loved it. Can't wait to get this for his next birthday!

I'm excited it's finally airing but I've had like no time this week, hopefully I'll catch it this weekend.

I watched it online but it couldn’t hold my attention the way Band of Brothers did. But it’s too soon to tell and I’m biased because the European theatre of WWII interests me more than the Pacific one. I would enjoy a similar miniseries written from a German point of view, but obviously that’s never going to happen. :lol:

I watched and have mixed feelings

I hate manipulation, the first part statesaide was quite boring,

that one American soldier might reconize the fact that Japanese soldiers are people too, and have wives and families, oh my.

could the Japanese expansion into less populated and resourse rich parts of the Pacific be compared and contrasted to the American expansion across the Western American continent and into Mexico, which happened less than 100 years earlier, I doubt they will go there.

I agree with the sentiments that the first part of the show was rather slow and tough to get into. The battle scene was great, but right now I don't feel much attachment to any of the characters, like the way I did to Dick Winters in Band of Brothers. Hopefully, that'll change soon.

I doubt they will go there.

Considering it's a World War II miniseries, I'd say probably not. :scratch:

Anyhow, I don't get HBO so I haven't been able to see it, though I hear good things so far. I'll definitely pick up the series when it comes out on DVD :up:

I thought last night's episode was fantastic, I was quite impressed.

Looks like the next episode is all shore leave related though, so I'm expecting to not be thrilled.

Great series so far. I'm so glad to see World War 2 kept alive in people's memories and not simply passing into history.

I'd say this is very similar to Band of Brothers, so far. I think it's gonna be tough to follow most of the characters, except for the handful of main ones, until you see the whole series for a second or third time. And the battle scenes are very good. But I didn't get a real good feel about what really went on at Guadalcanal. The episodes are only about 45 minutes, so it went by kinda fast. Hopefully the upcoming episodes brings it all together. I thought The Thin Red Line gave a much better picture of that particular theater of war. Of course, that film was only about Guadalcanal.

Anyways, looks like this should be as good as Band of Brothers. Not sure if as many characters are gonna stand out though.

And someone mentioned the view from the Japanese side. I'd highly recommend Eastwood's Letters from Iwo Jima. A great companion piece to his Flags of Our Fathers, and a better film imo. A very fair and insightful look at the Japanese soldiers struggles on that island.

Another good episode tonite.. I am liking this for sure.. and yes, its like BOB but with a different feel IMO. Lackey is a great character and really stands out so far for me. I will watch this whole series for sure.

The last 20 minutes or so of last night's episode had my adrenaline blasting through the roof, crazily intense. The next episode looks to have even more of that.

I've finally caught up. Saw last night's episode this morning. That's some serious war going on there. How did they survive, and without water? :shocked:

Yeah, the last two episodes have been incredibly intense. There was a lot of horrifying imagery in this most recent episode, pretty terrifying to watch.

Yeah, the last two episodes have been incredibly intense. There was a lot of horrifying imagery in this most recent episode, pretty terrifying to watch.

I was afraid to go see "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" because a lot of reviews said the violence was so graphic that it would be too much for some people. Then I realized I had just watched all of "Band of Brothers" and am currently watching "The Pacific" so how bad could it be? So I finally went to see it (loved it) and was like, what violence? I think too many war shows at once has officially desensitized me. :|

Just finished watching it. Yeah....saying it was sad would be an understatement.

Beautifully done episode, a great tribute.

I've enjoyed it but not nearly as much as Band of Brothers.

The final episodes should be intense.

I agree, Joyful, but still have really enjoyed it. I think the way they decided to make the series jump between characters and locations unfortunately made it quite a bit less immersive than Band of Brothers. The writing and story telling in general hasn't worked as well to help you get to know the characters either, but there have been some extremely powerful scenes and moments in every episode. I'm quite happy that I subscribed to HBO entirely to watch the series as it has aired.

This coming Sunday's episode is Okinawa, which should be fascinating, as I don't believe I've ever seen a movie portray it. I believe the final episode is about the characters returning home.

Back
Top Bottom