The Newsroom - Premieres 24 June 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
The first trailer for Aaron Sorkin's new series, depicting the inner workings of a cable news show and its star, starring Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer, Sam Waterston, Alison Pill, Dev Patel, and Jane Fonda among others, was recently released:

The Newsroom Season 1: "Changed Man" Trailer - YouTube

I'm a huge Sorkin fan, and I've been waiting for this show ever since it was announced(and for a new Sorkin series ever since Studio 60 got canned), so I'm really looking forward to this.

Anyone else stoked about this?

I am stoked! Having worked in a local TV newsroom, I am hoping to relate and laugh with what this show portrays.

This looks excellent, as to be expected. Though the sheer amount of known faces is a tad distracting, & the motion graphic editing is lifted straight from the Social Network marketing campaign, but it does work well here.

Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip was so god-awful.

Just wanted to remind people. :lol:

In the last week articles, reviews started leaking that said this was a bit of a miss.

I watched it last night expecting not too much.

I will say it had a solid season opener. Much better than Veep.
Not brilliant, but certainly good. I will definitely keep watching.

i thought it was just ok. a times good, at times really preachy and sentimental especially for an HBO show.

I unenthusiastically programmed it into my DVR, but I'm probably just going to delete it because Aaron Sorkin is just so in love with himself and his Very Important Dialogue.

I unenthusiastically programmed it into my DVR, but I'm probably just going to delete it because Aaron Sorkin is just so in love with himself and his Very Important Dialogue.

Irvine said it went from ok to good, I certainly agree with that.
It had a much better opener than Veep or Girls, and I stayed with those.

I think I know why it didn work on the whole for me.

I kind of hate the characters. And not in a way where I tune in to actively hate someone, like Pete Campbell. Like, these people weren't assholes, they were just insufferable. Big difference.

OK, I finally watched The Newsroom on HBO Demand. Having once worked in a newsroom, I was eager to see how such a place would be portrayed.

I think it had it down to a T. You have egos running wild, excitement and intensity over breaking news, loyalty being questioned. Basically, it brought back memories for me.

I'll definitely be tuning in to this show.

I finally watched it On Demand as well. I agree with most of what's already been said - good at times, annoying at others, characters are irritating - but there was enough there that I'll probably keep watching for now.

that's an informed opinion

is this brilliant tv? no

is it decent?
compared to what we are offered these days, absolutely

I really liked the first episode and thought that the second one was awful. Just awful.

All the women were made to look stupid and neurotic. The show was full of personal side-story crap that was way over the top.

Willing to watch the next ep, but very disappointed at the moment.

I really liked the first episode and thought that the second one was awful. Just awful.

All the women were made to look stupid and neurotic. The show was full of personal side-story crap that was way over the top.

Totally agree. The dialogue in last night's episode was so stupid. Both Emily Mortimer and especially Alison Pill and their characters are irritating to me. I kept thinking, this is from the same guy who gave us C.J. Cregg? Not sure if I'll keep watching.

Both Emily Mortimer and especially Alison Pill and their characters are irritating to me. I kept thinking, this is from the same guy who gave us C.J. Cregg?

I know!

We're supposed to believe that a woman who was off (embedded?) in Afghanistan and Iraq and heaven knows what other hellhole for the better part of the last 3 years is so stupid that she can't figure out how to use her Blackberry? And is so klutzy and dimwitted in presentations that you think she's 16? I won't even touch Alison Pill because I don't like her as an actress and her character is insufferable already, written as if she belongs in a dumber, even more irritating version of the film Juno.

I really hope things shape up here.

Exactly! There is virtually nothing about these two women that rings true, even down to little things like MacKenzie saying "You punk!" to Will in ep 1 and Maggie saying to Jim "You dweeb!" in ep 2. It's just all wrong. I hate Maggie and I feel like I'm supposed to think her behavior is cute or something.

Finally saw the first two episodes. Loved the first and cringed during the second...for the intentional and unintentional parts. Still looking forward to the third.

Back
Top Bottom