The Newsroom - Premieres 24 June 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I liked the juxtaposition of Drunk Jack McCoy getting berated by the higher-ups with the montage of the show during 2010. I thought it was an interesting storytelling device, and showed nicely some of the conflicts that are going to be a constant presence in the series.

I disliked pretty much everything else.

Just caught the first episode on youtube and suppressed my gag instinct through the opening monologue to catch some of the softer, squishier underbelly of the show which I really enjoyed- there were a few scenes that I kept rewinding, notable the whole scene when Emily Mortimer enters for the first time.

I get it's a TV show and they compress events in order to make a watchable narrative, but grasping the impact of Deepwater Horizon so quickly was enormously grating. Congrats, Captain Hindsight.

The show has terrible messaging and interesting potential. I think I'll put it on the backburner mentally until the reviews start ticking a bit more positively.

I like Sorkin, but the opening monologue showed everything that is wrong about him. So preachy, uninformed and pseudo-reactionary that it hurts. The characters are also a huge failure so far. Studio 60 was better than this.

I wish the main character had said something like. "there is no such thing as the greatest country". He chose the cop-out route.

After the third episode I can safely say I hate Maggie.

The sappy side stories seem a little forced but I still enjoy enough of the show to keep watching.

Despite my issues with this show, I am still watching and was actually riveted to last night's show. :huh:

I was a little nervous when I saw you posted

I was beginning to think many of us were using too high of a standard for judging t v series these days

it seems with each brilliant series we move the goal posts back a bit further for the next series

anyways, glad to see you still like it, I do too,
and as series go this one is quite a bit above average and enjoyable.

I liked the last episode quite a bit even though I was worried in the first 5 or so minutes that there was too much personal back-story-telling. I still find the "love" triangle to be absolutely insipid and I am at the point where I'm barely tolerating Allison Pill or her character, but everyone else is pretty interesting and rounded.

^I generally agree with all of that. I think I also just have a love-hate thing with Sorkin.

yeah I guess I kind of agree, but it does seem like he was doing character development, and there are enough parts to the program that I don't have to love every part

I am kind of annoyed they took the smart guy on the oil spill,
and now have dumbed him down to a big foot devotee

I am kind of annoyed they took the smart guy on the oil spill,
and now have dumbed him down to a big foot devotee

Me, too. It was charming for a minute but then he beat it to death. I worked with a similar kind of guy once who was so brilliant but was also obsessed with stuff like big foot and aliens, so this aspect of his character is at least actually kind of believable to me. We just don't need to keep hearing about it.

anitram said:
I still find the "love" triangle to be absolutely insipid and I am at the point where I'm barely tolerating Allison Pill or her character, but everyone else is pretty interesting and rounded.

100% agree

How similar is this show to Network? That's one of my favorite movies. I saw the description of this show and cringed, but there's got to be more to it than some guy at the crossroads of his career ranting about society on air while office romances go on in the background.

Does the character who makes the big speech in Network almost exclusively speak in that grandstanding manner, as if his life depends on the words coming out of his mouth at every waking moment? If so, then yes.

Does the character who makes the big speech in Network almost exclusively speak in that grandstanding manner, as if his life depends on the words coming out of his mouth at every waking moment? If so, then yes.

yes. everyone in Network speaks like that, actually.

i haven't watched this since the first episode. i feel it will be painful.

Painful in different ways. 'Nobody really talks like that' vs. 'Oh my God, that's so real.'

I don't think I've ever eaten anything in a bathtub or have any interest in doing so, yet I had no problem believing that somewhere on the planet this could be happening, from cupcakes to caviar to....well, here you go:

http://thingsieatinthebathtub.blogspot.com/?m=1

But no, I doubt "last night when I was eating my cupcake in the bath" is something someone is going to drop into conversation the next day. People do all kinds of weird/sad shit and when I saw that scene it seemed entirely plausible to me.

The fifth episode was actually not terrible because it was more focused on the news itself. Probably the best one since the pilot.

The fourth was an absolute piece of shit.

So the latest revelations about the women's stupidity include Maggie confusing the state of Georgia with the country Georgia, MacKenzie counting on her fingers, and Sloan going rogue on air. Firing the writers: good move.

Maggie is insufferable. I cannot believe the levels of idiocy and stupidity. Plus it is a great example of what Hollywood writers think is a funny way of portraying adult women - as completely and utterly neurotic.

Otherwise I enjoyed the last episode. The scenes with the shrink were a bit too reminiscent of Josh on TWW but otherwise the story was interesting.

I really like the therapy storyline. Fortunately Will is my favorite character, along with Jim, so I can put up with the rest.

Overall, I'm enjoying the show despite my ongoing complaints.

Back
Top Bottom