The Hobbit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Hobbit Movie Trailer Description | Hobbit Movie News and Rumors | TheOneRing.net™

Starts with Bilbo (Ian Holm!!) talking to Frodo (Elijah Wood) at Bag End about his “adventures” and how he didn’t tell him everything.

Shows Gandalf making his proposition to young Bilbo and introducing all 13 dwarves by name as it cuts to each.

Bilbo protests of course, because Bagginses belong at Bag End.

The “big” scene is the dwarves, led by Thorin, singing a long slow song. I didn’t catch all the words, but I have to assume it’s from the book. Very ominous tone.

Lots of images in a montage, of travelling and fighting. I think I saw some goblins, and maybe some troll legs, but it went by quickly. Some creepy ruins–looked almost like Moria, but without the majesty. I wasn’t sure if it was underground in the goblin stronghold or something else. Dol Guldur?

There is definitely Rivendell and the shards of Narsil and maybe Elrond, but again, I can’t be sure.

No Smaug at all. No hints at plot, really. No Beorn that I could see. Not even any spiders, although I think I saw some creepy woods. One of my favorite scenes was the dwarves cleaning Bilbo’s dishes after dinner. Expect some acrobatic dishes

Thorin is depicted as a bit callous–he tells Gandalf he can’t guarantee his safe return. Gandalf agrees, and Thorin adds “Nor will I be responsible for his fate.”

It ends with Gandalf saying to Bilbo that if he returns, he may be changed–this is in voiceover while we see THE RING, and Gollum climbing behind Bilbo in the cave.

Can’t wait to see it again!

Maybe you LOTR nerds can help me out. Does anyone know the titles of the music in the trailer? I know that they're from Fellowship, but haven't been able to place them (most notably the cue at the end of the trailer during the Gollum encounter). It's been driving me crazy.

Doing a little search right now, it looks like the cue you're looking for from the end of the trailer is from something commonly referred to as "The History of the Ring." And it's reused in other variations throughout the LOTR trilogy.

Here's a good example of it. From the Complete Recordings for Two Towers, it's called "My Precious." That little cue can be heard clearly starting at around 0:24 in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDzCghGAxT0

And you can hear it starting at 0:40 in this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNx8tz4qVeI

And here's a super nerdy page telling us every time that it's used in the trilogy:

http://www.melson.nl/lotr/index.php?view=theme&id=1

Doing a little search right now, it looks like the cue you're looking for from the end of the trailer is from something commonly referred to as "The History of the Ring." And it's reused in other variations throughout the LOTR trilogy.

Here's a good example of it. From the Complete Recordings for Two Towers, it's called "My Precious." That little cue can be heard clearly starting at around 0:24 in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDzCghGAxT0

And you can hear it starting at 6:39 in this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNx8tz4qVeI

And here's a super nerdy page telling us every time that it's used in the trilogy:

The Lord of the Rings Score Analysis Project

Thank you so much. And about that score analysis link... good lord.

Ha, whoever put that together has a lot of time on their hands.

But, hell, here I am doing basically the same thing. In the wee small hours of Christmas morning. So I guess I don't really have any room to talk shit. Merry Christmas, man. NBA starts in a few hours! Hell yes.

I've read some responses today from the people who watched some of The Hobbit footage at 48 frames per second. My heart kinda sank when one of them described the effect as that soap opera look you get from badly calibrated TVs :no: I housesat for a friend a while ago and her new TV had that same effect and I thought it looked horrible and I hated the way it made every DVD I watched look completely non-cinematic. I've really looked forward to the movie but not happy to hear this at all.

I've read some responses today from the people who watched some of The Hobbit footage at 48 frames per second. My heart kinda sank when one of them described the effect as that soap opera look you get from badly calibrated TVs :no: I housesat for a friend a while ago and her new TV had that same effect and I thought it looked horrible and I hated the way it made every DVD I watched look completely non-cinematic. I've really looked forward to the movie but not happy to hear this at all.

Oh my, I hope it's just an unfinished type of thing. As for your friend's TV, it might just be the setting she has it on. :hmm: When we got our new HD TV it looked like that at first and I kind of freaked, until we realized it's a certain setting you can have it on, it came like that by default but you could change it. Maybe she doesn't even realize hers is set like that. I'd tell you what the setting was, but I don't remember.

Shoudn't the soap opera effect be eliminated if you watch in 3D? Maybe they'll come up with TVs that throw out extra frames when filmmakers decide to shoot in 48 fps. I can't stand the way it looks.

Oh my, I hope it's just an unfinished type of thing. As for your friend's TV, it might just be the setting she has it on. :hmm: When we got our new HD TV it looked like that at first and I kind of freaked, until we realized it's a certain setting you can have it on, it came like that by default but you could change it. Maybe she doesn't even realize hers is set like that. I'd tell you what the setting was, but I don't remember.

It's definitely a setting, but what it's doing is extrapolating frames in between the actual frames, giving you a virtual 48 fps and looking like virtual shit. It's usually called Real Motion or something like that depending on brand. I made my Dad turn it off on his when I went for a visit

It's definitely a setting, but what it's doing is extrapolating frames in between the actual frames, giving you a virtual 48 fps and looking like virtual shit. It's usually called Real Motion or something like that depending on brand. I made my Dad turn it off on his when I went for a visit

Thanks. Yeah I was surprised to see that on a new TV. Couldn't figure out who would choose to watch something like that!

And maybe let your friend know about it, Saracene!

Something shot in an extremely high frame rate is going to look unusual at first, especially at such resolution as something major like The Hobbit in a well calibrated theater. The effect is unlike anything most people have ever experienced and it's going to take a degree of exposure for people to get used to. The comparisons people are making with this so far are reasonable as it's difficult to find something to compare it to, and the unflattering remarks are merely because... it seems odd to them, like a poorly calibrated TV. I think it could be a big thing for digital cinema though, and certain filmmakers should have the option to film and present their work this way so that people can actually see it like they intend. It really can be extraordinary-looking.

And maybe let your friend know about it, Saracene!

I actually have mentioned it when we watched a movie at her house, and she had no idea what I was talking about - she didn't notice the effect or the change at all. I guess the responses to this are going to vary a lot. Myself, I've watched 3/4 of True Blood Season 3 while staying at her house and never got used to the "soap opera" look, it just remained jarring for me.

I actually have mentioned it when we watched a movie at her house, and she had no idea what I was talking about - she didn't notice the effect or the change at all. I guess the responses to this are going to vary a lot. Myself, I've watched 3/4 of True Blood Season 3 while staying at her house and never got used to the "soap opera" look, it just remained jarring for me.

Well, I suppose if it makes no difference to her she won't mind you changing the setting when you watch TV at her house. ;)

Something shot in an extremely high frame rate is going to look unusual at first, especially at such resolution as something major like The Hobbit in a well calibrated theater. The effect is unlike anything most people have ever experienced and it's going to take a degree of exposure for people to get used to. The comparisons people are making with this so far are reasonable as it's difficult to find something to compare it to, and the unflattering remarks are merely because... it seems odd to them, like a poorly calibrated TV. I think it could be a big thing for digital cinema though, and certain filmmakers should have the option to film and present their work this way so that people can actually see it like they intend. It really can be extraordinary-looking.

As someone commented yesterday, people have been watching films at 24fps since the 1920's. So there's definitely going to be a transitional period where they will have to get used to a new way of seeing.

But there's no doubt about it, this is the future. I'm sure the aesthetic challenges will sort themselves out, and I can't wait to see what our most talented cinematographers can do with it.

Back
Top Bottom