The Dark Knight review thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it would be rather cheap of Nolan to being Dent back. I don't think he would do it without having left a hint. How lame would that be if at the beginning of Part 3 we had to hear some expository dialogue like:

Gordon: Dent just broke out of Arkham Asylum.

Batman: Shit, well we faked his death and told the public he was a hero; what are we going to do now?

I mean, Gordon and Batman were right there next to his body. He wasn't going anywhere. And the discussion about how to play his death just wouldn't have happened. You have to assume they made sure he was dead offscreen.

By the way, kudos to Gary Oldman.

Here's a guy who has played every type of person under the sun, but rarely someone so tightly controlled, so morally upright. He's so good at being over the top/straight up fucking nuts that maybe you take for granted how hard it is to play someone so....normal.

I personally think Dent is dead.

And I'm glad they didn't make a whole 'nother film out of Two-Face. I think, maybe it could have used a little more time, but overall, it was very well executed.

Was anyone else totally disturbed by the mayor appearing to be wearing heavy eyeliner? Does that actor always look like that, or is he aspiring to be Pete Wentz?

Was anyone else totally disturbed by the mayor appearing to be wearing heavy eyeliner? Does that actor always look like that, or is he aspiring to be Pete Wentz?

YES!!!! Oh My God. And I've seen him in another movie before, just can't remember what it was. I'm pretty sure he ALWAYS looks like that.

I didn't notice the eyeliner but when he first appeared on screen I got really giddy because, well, he's Richard Alpert from LOST!!! And the only thing he looks like on LOST is a badass hiding some deep, dark secrets about the island.

250px-alpertrich.jpg

god, I love that show. is it time for season 5 to start yet?

Oh, I also dug the cameo by William (?) Fichtner in the opening bank robbery scene. I like him.

Richard Alpert as the mayor was a big WTF?! moment for me. Sad they didn't give him more to do.

What's cool is that if he turns up in the third film, I'm sure he will be a much bigger name by then as next season he will probably have a pretty hardcore role on LOST.

awesome and brilliant. heath's performance was really good.

did anyone stay during the credits to see the "in memory of...." ?

i did along with other people and when it appeared everyone clapped. it was touching.

I stayed as well. There was applause a few times during the movie, applause right at the end, applause when Heath's name came up as one of the stars before the full credits, applause at the "in memory of..." bit, and applause at the end of the credits.

There were only a small handful people left at the very, very end, and I called out "Show it again!" There was no applause in response, but some laughs. :wink:

I loved the "Shining"-esque build of music during the more intense scenes. It also reminded me of some of Jonny Greenwood's score of There Will Be Blood.

I thought the same thing! that was absolutely brilliant.

I'm seeing it again Monday, and then again next weekend :D

To everyone,

Yes, the film is just as fucking brilliant and amazing the second time around. Watched it again in a smaller cinema filled with people who hadn't watched it yet, and it got exactly the same reaction as when I saw it in the huge cinema the day it came out.

Funnily, the second time around, the film doesn't seem as long. It's still as shocking though - you don't really get used to the sheer violence and twisted nature of the Joker and then Dent. The scene where the random dressed in a Batsuit gets hung and hits the mayor's window scared the shit out of me AGAIN.

The only thing that disappointed me was the Batpod, and that's a minor quibble. It was totally believable up to the point where it mounted the wall and flipped around.

Nine and a half out of ten, at the very least. No doubt about it at all.

One of my friends wanted to go see it, so I also watched it for the second time tonight. To some extent, I really wish I would have waited a few days or a week to see it again, but it was still very good. It was interesting to see what the crowd did and didn't react to in comparison to the first time I saw it. I was surprised that the second time around, people seemed shocked when they realized Harvey Dent had turned into Two-Face (as if it was a supposed to be a surprise). I guess you can't expect everyone to be a complete Batman nerd.

There's a scene where Christian Bale starts walking down a corridor in his suit and loading a gun that reminds me awfully of Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. I haven't seen that movie but I remember a photograph of it. Maybe it's just me...

Oh yeah, loved it. I'm a Batman geek and really didn't disappoint. Seen it twice already.

There's a scene where Christian Bale starts walking down a corridor in his suit and loading a gun that reminds me awfully of Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. I haven't seen that movie but I remember a photograph of it. Maybe it's just me...

Not just you, I thought that a couple of times as well.

My boss took up to see this movie Saturday. :D I hadn't seen a Batman movie since Batman '89 and just watched Batman Begins for the first time on Friday night when someone suggested I watch it before seeing The Dark Knight. Now I want to see Dark Knight again soon, I can't stop thinking about the movie, really wanting to see some of the Joker scenes again. Plus we didn't stay for the credits. :angry:

My favorite funny Joker line: When the guy asked him if he'd really thought he could bust in and steal the mob's money and get away with it... "Yeeeees".... :lol:

amazing movie :up:
heath stole the show of course.. there's not much i can say that hasn't already been said somewhere in this thread.
i gotta see it again soon :drool:

Can anyone think of another movie that sucked but featured a truly captivating and unforgettable performance?

So strange.

I almost feel that Heath's swan song was wasted against a backdrop of predictability and cop-out twists and action scenes.

A sloppy and hollow summer superhero movie bumped into mediocrity by a spellbinding character portrayal.

What all the reports I've heard, it sounds like Nolan still can't direct an action scene to save his life. Truly disappointing.

(Oh wait, nevermind, I forgot that he directs them poorly on purpose, because Batman is all shadowy and confusing... my bad)

You know, I'm sure that a bunch of fawning over a film can become annoying (and, yup, I'm fawning over this film), but, jesus Lance, maybe see the fucking movie before you start your whining about it?

What, because I'm disappointed to hear that Nolan hasn't fixed my biggest problem with the first film? Or because I think it's retarded that the film is #1 on IMDB? That's all I've "whined" about regarded this film so far.

I'm really glad to hear that all the performances are stellar, and that it's a tense thrilling movie, but we all expected that much, so why would I bother talking about that now? So it's fine for everyone to talk about this and that about this movie for the months leading up to release, but the second it hits release I can't talk about impressions or its reception until I've seen it myself?

What, because I'm disappointed to hear that Nolan hasn't fixed my biggest problem with the first film? Or because I think it's retarded that the film is #1 on IMDB? That's all I've "whined" about regarded this film so far.

I'm really glad to hear that all the performances are stellar, and that it's a tense thrilling movie, but we all expected that much, so why would I bother talking about that now? So it's fine for everyone to talk about this and that about this movie for the months leading up to release, but the second it hits release I can't talk about impressions or its reception until I've seen it myself?

We all agree that the IMDB situation is insane. I was not referring to that at all.

Lance, I suppose you can comment on whatever you like, it just seems like you ought to see it before you feel actual disappointment. I don't know how on Earth anyone can have "impressions" of anything without actually experiencing that thing. You can pass along what you heard all you like, of course, and that's perfectly legit, but these are not your impressions.

When did I ever post my own "impressions" anywhere on this board yet? I think you misinterpret. I can certainly be disappointed by other people's own impressions who have seen the movie and posted their own reviews and reactions, which is what I'm talking about. Obviously I don't know for a fact what I'll think about the action in the film or the script myself, but I've read detailed impressions and descriptions from others on those matters, and currently I'm preparing for a film of lesser excellence than I was originally anticipating.

Isn't this why we read reviews in the first place?

Back
Top Bottom