The Blacklist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Season 9 when The Blacklist goes rock n roll:

Raymond-Red-Reddington-on-The-Blacklist-Season-9-Episode-1.jpg

392fb0c80b99c454908c3ffa8e4495a9.jpg

The-Blacklist-Ressler.jpg

b81e36f23fa6946f5b96fba5edc31051.jpg

Well, I will say that Megan Boone's acting n the past 3 episodes is the best I've ever seen from her.
Finally finished season 8. Her acting might have improved, I can't quite tell because the writers gave her such horrible dialogue to work with. But the ending of the episode did get me.

Finally finished season 8. Her acting might have improved, I can't quite tell because the writers gave her such horrible dialogue to work with. But the ending of the episode did get me.

The timeline of my post about her great acting was during the episodes in mid season where she didn't appear. :wink:

The timeline of my post about her great acting was during the episodes in mid season where she didn't appear. :wink:
[emoji38] I should've checked!

I have a lot of thoughts, I'll write them up later, but I'm actually generally glad I caught back up.

Look forward to reading them.
I have some thoughts on how things stand in the current season, will discuss after you post about last season.

Alright, so, since I know there are people just starting the show, spoiler tags of course. But I will say, Mikal, if you're enjoying it, I am going to be rejoining the train of actively enjoying watching the show in season 9 for whatever that's worth.

EDIT: Oops, hit post too soon. Enjoy the suspense.

EDIT x2: Ok done, here it is:

Obviously I haven't liked this show since around season 4 or 5. If I ever actually actively liked it in the first place. I don't know, I was pretty sucked in the first couple of seasons for sure. But I was always here for James Spader. And apparently I always will be. I would've actually enjoyed a final season of Deaddington with Liz running the Blacklist, just to wrap things up neatly. As frustrating as every decision she's basically ever made on this show has been, I still wanted her to have whatever happy ending she could, and that would have been the only option for her to have one. I don't know if I would have so actively felt this way if I hadn't seen another person say it, but the writers did her so dirty: She never truly got any answers and when she did, she died immediately after. It's a cruelness, even if she's fictional. We've lived with this character (despite poor acting execution by Boone [I wish her the best in whatever she does next, though, sincerely]) for eight years and that's how she gets treated? Ouch.

So what IS the answer in that case? My feeling is, unless there's a deathbed confessional from Red to Agnes in the series finale, or something (because I do suspect that eventually Harold is going to acquiesce and let Red be part of her life) the show is never going to give us a straight answer. And do they really need to? I see there are still people online who don't believe Red is Katerina and I think there's good reason not to believe it: It's ridiculous. You can't make a person taller and wider of bone structure, no matter how much plastic surgery. We've never seen anything on this show to the scale of what would need to be accomplished for the actress playing young Katerina to become James fucking Spader. But that said, it's a fictional show. They did every editing trick they could in the book to tell us point blank that Red is Katerina. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt....

Or let's not. I've decided, since I don't think the show is going to give us a definitive answer, that this is my truth:

Raymond Reddington did not die the night of the fire. We only have Katerina's word for that, since DNA on this show is useless. Yeah, Red went through a lot of effort to hide those bones from Liz, but I still don't trust it. So what happened to him? Katerina stashed him, because she felt guilt over what happened to him and his life. Tried to give him something new. But at one point or another, the part in the Ghost's story about how they needed to create someone to be Red, he volunteers to help them. So Raymond Reddington has always been the Red we've seen on the show, BUT he's acting as Katerina's Cyranoid. Anytime someone gets shot down about Red being a Cyranoid, it's because we saw that Liz's eventually backed down under pressure, and they don't think anyone would go through the thing's that Red has gone through and keep doing the job, because he doesn't care about her in reality. So what if he does? If he's Liz's dad, then he cares just as much as Katerina and can also be her eyes and ears. So Liz's realization in the ending was that she had both of her parents with her the whole time. This would also explain why Red didn't give a shit about Jennifer, because he had to remain as neutral as possible, being Katerina's Cyranoid, since he gave up his own life for the task.

I'll be honest, Jennifer has always been the biggest thorn in my side when trying to convince myself that Raymond Reddington is still alive. It was always either she wasn't actually his kid, or Red =/= Reddington. Otherwise, he's a pretty shitty guy :lol:.

Anyways, I can't rectify reality with the fictional TV show, so that's the narrative I've created myself. I'm content, and I'm glad to finally watch this show without the weight of the mystery holding it down. This could've been such a fun show if we'd just got the mystery out of the way back in season 5 and let Red/Liz work together on at least a mostly level ground. You could've continued to have him hiding his secrets, like the source of the Blacklist, and not had all of this wild tension. But I see the writers really did want to drive Liz completely insane instead. Well, they did it. What a bummer fucking ending.

I'm slightly repeating myself here, but even if I didn't like Megan Boone's acting, the Red/Liz dynamic is what we've been watching for years and that was a very cruel way to end it.

Last edited:
And mercifully its done.

Nice to see Pendulum make a return engagement. Frankly the highlight of the 2 hour finale (abd probably the season, maybe the past half dozen seasons).

So what IS the answer in that case? My feeling is, unless there's a deathbed confessional from Red to Agnes in the series finale, or something (because I do suspect that eventually Harold is going to acquiesce and let Red be part of her life) the show is never going to give us a straight answer.

You nailed it.

Back
Top Bottom