The Bi-Curious Case of Benjamin Button

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had breakfast with a friend this morning who just saw this movie and said it was just ok , that is was way too long. But then he's a guy. I wouldn't mind sitting for a couple hours watching the likes of Brad Pitt up on a big cinema screen.

Had breakfast with a friend this morning who just saw this movie and said it was just ok , that is was way too long. But then he's a guy. I wouldn't mind sitting for a couple hours watching the likes of Brad Pitt up on a big cinema screen.

Lazarus, U2popmofo, LemonMacphisto, Dalton and I are all guys, and we all loved it.

The woman next to my friend was sobbing really loudly.

I cried throughout that movie. I admit, I cry during movies, but this one was even worse than normal.

I knew I was in trouble when I got choked up when his dad was running through the streets with him in his arms - that poor little baby.

And then in the present scene, when you realize Katrina is bearing down on New Orleans.

It was just an extended series of me getting all verklempt.

It wasn't a perfect movie by any means - I had a few nitpicks. But overall, I did love it.

And dear god, Cate Blanchett was exquisitely beautiful in it.

It wasn't a perfect movie by any means - I had a few nitpicks. But overall, I did love it.

I agree

can't say I loved it. But, I did like it.
Good film making. Cate is always great.

She is very pretty.
But, lets be real - the young Cate and young Brad (teen age one) are obviously digitally altered images.

Very few nitpicks.

I thought the two bits with the hummingbird were a little unnecessary (too Forrest Gump, as I think someone else may have mentioned earlier). That's the main one.

The other was that while I totally almost lost it when he shows up again in New Orleans as a child showing signs of dementia ... if he's getting younger, why dementia? He was "old" as a baby, with all the physical afflictions. Why would he be having dementia as he gets very young? Were all the "old" afflictions purely physical, but any mental deterioration not show up until he is "young"? Should we understand that his mind was opposite from his body - mind is old when body is young and vice versa?

It's not enough to distract from my love of the movie - just something that made me think "wait a minute ..."

I was wondering about teenage Benjamin as well - when he returns after vanishing from Daisy and Caroline's life, I couldn't tell if it was make-up or digital, but either way, he looked amazingly young. I don't care if it was digital manipulation - I thought they did a great job. Ditto the younger Daisy - it was obviously still Cate Blanchett, and whatever they did to make her look very young, she looked stunning.

Should we understand that his mind was opposite from his body - mind is old when body is young and vice versa?

I kind of thought that was the whole point? Or I'm way out to pasture. :lol:

I was bothered by teenage Daisy (the one where Benjamin left the old folks' home) and the fact she didn't have blue eyes. They were very obviously brown and it's a little thing, but it bugged.

A child's brain has less capacity than an adults.

A brain getting younger would have less information stored in it.

They also, kind of eluded to this when he was having the fling with the swimmer in Russia.
He said it was more fun each time.
That is the process in reverse, or so I have been told.

One of my nitpicks is that the baby looked like a rubber doll. Like a very cheap prop.

Good point. I won't let it bother me anymore. :)

And yeah, the baby was a bit ... off. But I can live with that, too.

The last shot of the movie was, I thought, a perfect ending.

Oh, and I was very happy to see Tilda Swinton. I had no idea she was in this.

I can't convince Maddy to go with me to see it. No interest I guess. And the fact I've bugged her every day doesn't help. I'll just have to find time to go alone I guess. :sigh:

The other was that while I totally almost lost it when he shows up again in New Orleans as a child showing signs of dementia ... if he's getting younger, why dementia? He was "old" as a baby, with all the physical afflictions. Why would he be having dementia as he gets very young? Were all the "old" afflictions purely physical, but any mental deterioration not show up until he is "young"? Should we understand that his mind was opposite from his body - mind is old when body is young and vice versa?

A child's brain has less capacity than an adults.

A brain getting younger would have less information stored in it.

They also, kind of eluded to this when he was having the fling with the swimmer in Russia.
He said it was more fun each time.
That is the process in reverse, or so I have been told.

See, I read it as his brain is normal while his body is backwards. To me, what he experienced near the end of the film was more like Alzheimer's than anything else--didn't know where he was, who he was, who Daisy was.

See, I read it as his brain is normal while his body is backwards. To me, what he experienced near the end of the film was more like Alzheimer's than anything else--didn't know where he was, who he was, who Daisy was.

Yeah, same here.

I read and saw a tv program that the youth scenes were indeed digitally enhanced.

They did a fantastic job with it, then. They looked great without looking completely fake.

Re: the Alzheimer's thing. Makes perfect sense to me now. I don't know why it didn't seem right to me yesterday.

That's how I saw it as well.

They did a fantastic job with it, then. They looked great without looking completely fake.

Esp. the young Brad Pitt, I thought. I really could not believe how baby-soft his skin looked. With Blanchett I could almost convince myself she'd been botoxed like crazy with a lot of make-up or something (except a lot better), but Pitt looked genuinely young.

Esp. the young Brad Pitt, I thought. I really could not believe how baby-soft his skin looked. With Blanchett I could almost convince myself she'd been botoxed like crazy with a lot of make-up or something (except a lot better), but Pitt looked genuinely young.

I really believe those young versions of them were digitalized,
it was not botox
or make up
or even rubber skin glued on their faces,
> it was like CGI?

you know how all the singers are filtering their voices though computer programs to get their singing on pitch

well, these guys put their faces through a program to get them on pitch :shrug:

I really believe those young versions of them were digitalized,
it was not botox
or make up
or even rubber skin glued on their faces,
> it was like CGI?

you know how all the singers are filtering their voices though computer programs to get their singing on pitch

well, these guys put their faces through a program to get them on pitch :shrug:

Yes, I know, they were digitalized. I just meant that given that both were digitalized, Pitt looked better to me as the younger Benji. Maybe my eye is used to seeing women in film botoxed so that's why I said I could almost convince myself about Blanchett, but it was much better than that. I knew they were digitalized going into the film yet never once did I think he in particular looked fake as the younger character.

I also agree, I thought Brad Pitt looked incredible in the younger version (and he is not my "type" either). Cate was beautiful but something about her looked more fake than Brad's digi-face.

Back
Top Bottom