The 2008 Oscar Season Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know what needs to win Best Song?

"Little Person" from Synecdoche, New York. Hell, everything from that movie needs to win.

National Board awards came out:

National Board of Review announces 2008 winners

I usually dig their Top 10s, but their Eastwood and Coens love is way too apparent. Haven't seen the two Clint flicks, but they've gotten tepid responses so far, as far as I can tell, and Burn was good, but not anything spectacular.

The list looks good to me.

I have not seen Rachel, Slumdog, Milk or Torino yet.

The Changeling is very good, as is Jolie.

Where did the Coens get much of anything?

Dark Knight made top ten :up:

Burn got into the Top 10, which I don't agree with, even if I am a Coens fan and moderately enjoy the movie.

Yeah, this wasn't a great year, but I'd have a hard time arguing the case for that one being that close to the top. Nothing bad about it (and better than Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers), but not very memorable either.

I just can't believe Clint was singled out in a year that has some amazing performances, and some that I haven't seen yet that LOOK more amazing. No way his "Get off my lawn!" schtick is better than DiCaprio, Del Toro, Penn, Brolin, Rourke, Langella, etc.

Yeah, this wasn't a great year, but I'd have a hard time arguing the case for that one being that close to the top. Nothing bad about it (and better than Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers), but not very memorable either.

I just can't believe Clint was singled out in a year that has some amazing performances, and some that I haven't seen yet that LOOK more amazing. No way his "Get off my lawn!" schtick is better than DiCaprio, Del Toro, Penn, Brolin, Rourke, Langella, etc.

If Ron Howard and/or Clint get nominated and win over Boyle, Nolan, or Fincher... Dear Christ.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that they'll give Clint the acting Oscar. The only other massive buzz so far is for Sean Penn, who instead of going full retard is going full homo, and Mickey Rourke, who apparently everyone hates. So you've got Clint, a badass, for sure, but not much about Gran Torino has impressed me thus far.

If anyone's deserving of two acting Oscars (other than DDL), it's Penn. So I won't begrudge him a second one, and it looks like Milk is so different than what he normally plays it could put him over the top. You never know.

Thing is, I doubt any of the major critics groups are going to give it to Clint, and I have a hard time believing SAG will be very impressed. Winning an Oscar without any precursors is going to be a bit of an uphill battle. Unless the Globes give it to him, and they like to starfuck younger actors normally.

We'll see.

If anyone's deserving of two acting Oscars (other than DDL), it's Penn. So I won't begrudge him a second one, and it looks like Milk is so different than what he normally plays it could put him over the top. You never know.

Thing is, I doubt any of the major critics groups are going to give it to Clint, and I have a hard time believing SAG will be very impressed. Winning an Oscar without any precursors is going to be a bit of an uphill battle. Unless the Globes give it to him, and they like to starfuck younger actors normally.

We'll see.

Yeah, it's a toss up. I just hope California politics don't influence the pick too much... again, I speak not having seen the film yet. They may feel the need to validate themselves for not going for Ledger or Brokeback in '05 when it was the overwhelming fave, you know?

I hope you're right.

Yes, I said it. Raiders is a tribute to adventure serials of the 30's. It's a hell of a lot of fun. It's perfectly cast, acted, and directed. But it has ZERO depth. And I don't know why you'd call it a landmark, because it didn't exactly usher in a slew of knockoffs or break any kind of cinematic ground--conversely, it's actually a pastiche of films that had been done over and over again for the last 40 years. How does it stand apart from Jaws, for instance, as a blockbuster or an adventure film?

i think one difference is that, while Raiders is a revisitation of the past, it is an original story. Batman is a very well known, very well established, total franchise with built in B.O. even a steaming pile of crap like "Batman and Robin" is going to make $100m at the box office. and i do disagree very much about Raiders not inspiring knock offs. i think every action/adventure film that has happened since 1981 has tried to measure up to Raiders. you have, say, the awful "King Solomon's Mines," "Romancing the Stone," and the whole "Mummy" series. and that's just off the top of my head.

i'd say it stands apart from jaws in that it is better directed and more thrilling -- Jaws is more of a horror film, i'd say -- and it created a timeless character who's himself an icon. i'm a fan of Chief Brody, Quinn, and Matt Hooper, but they're hardly heroic icons (Bruce the shark, maybe).

On the flipside, The Dark Knight is also perfectly cast, and while not directed as well (or consistently as well), has set pieces that are up there with ANYTHING in modern action films, and raises some very serious moral and ethical questions. Not anything that hasn't been probed deeper in other films, but for something as big and pop as this, it's a major achievement. It also reflects things in our current (read: pre-Obama) political situation without beating you over the head. There's SO much to take away from it, and I don't think it will lessen its appeal over time, either.

i do absolutely agree that TDK has much more political depth than Raiders, and than any comic book action movie, and it has more in common with "Heat." and the Mumbai attacks, for me, reinforced this -- how do you deal with people who only want to watch the world burn? who are not afraid of dying? of people who will line you up, take your passport, stuff it in your mouth, and then shoot you in the head? that's what, i think, Ledger was on about, and perhaps he got a glimpse of something, some Heart of Darkness, that made him go a bit crazy. it wouldn't surprise me if the role gave him PTSD.

In my opinion, when they've already nominated genre fare like Star Wars, Jaws, Raiders, Close Encounters, The Fugitive, Silence of the Lambs, etc. for Best Picture, the argument that TDK doesn't fit is ludicrous. It's not as shallow as any of those, and wouldn't be an embarrassment to the Academy in the slightest.

on this we agree. i think it deserves a BP nomination.

Two locks:

Milk
Slumdog Millionaire

I saw Slumdog and Milk this week end.

Slumdog :shrug: a good movie, I was expecting more

I have seen a lot of Indian films in Hindi, that have been more impressive.

I guess this just got too much hype, for me.

Milk, is an outstanding film

Penn is always good, he is exceptional here, the casting is great, Van Sant hits all the right notes, as someone that lived through the 70s - he nailed it.

I hope this film gets a lot of noms and wins.

Chief Brody, Quint and Hooper all jump out in my mind as far more memorable characters than anyone in Raiders... Indy included.

But that's probably just because I've seen Jaws upwards of 50 times. No joke, my dad's a fanatic.

"they're digging in the wrong place!" vs. "we're going to need a bigger boat."

it's like Sophie's Choice all over again.

Chief Brody, Quint and Hooper all jump out in my mind as far more memorable characters than anyone in Raiders... Indy included.

Memorable? I don't know about that. But I will say that the three characters from Jaws are shaded better and given more subtleties, and that probably has to do with a better script as well as better actors.

"they're digging in the wrong place!" vs. "we're going to need a bigger boat."

it's like Sophie's Choice all over again.

My fave Jaws line has always been Quint's "the head... the tail... the whole damn thing." Kick ass.

Memorable? I don't know about that. But I will say that the three characters from Jaws are shaded better and given more subtleties, and that probably has to do with a better script as well as better actors.

true. much has been made of the fact that you'd never get an extended "USS Indianapolis" soliloquy in any contemporary action/horror movie. no one would have the patience for that any more, and yet that might be the best scene in the film (mostly because the story itself is so riveting). apparently Shaw was completely wasted in the take they used. the three actors are terrific, and as scripts for these kinds of movies go, Jaws is pretty ace. some might point out that this is one of the rare cases where the movie actually is better than the book. i haven't read the book, so i can't weigh in, but i wouldn't doubt it.

true. much has been made of the fact that you'd never get an extended "USS Indianapolis" soliloquy in any contemporary action/horror movie. no one would have the patience for that any more, and yet that might be the best scene in the film (mostly because the story itself is so riveting). apparently Shaw was completely wasted in the take they used. the three actors are terrific, and as scripts for these kinds of movies go, Jaws is pretty ace. some might point out that this is one of the rare cases where the movie actually is better than the book. i haven't read the book, so i can't weigh in, but i wouldn't doubt it.

Oh the movie kicks the absolute shit out of the book, hands down. It's faithful to the Benchley novel to a certain extent, but the ending in the movie is better (believe it or not) and it's just more engrossing. The only reason I kept reading the book was because I love the movie so much, otherwise, it ain't worth it.

Best movies I've seen so far this year:

The Dark Knight (Want to see this again in IMAX)
Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr. fits the role perfectly)
Rachel Getting Married (Really solid movie. It stays with you for awhile after watching)
Man on wire (I got a little vertigo watching this)

YouTube - Man on Wire Trailer HD

Updated Shortlist:

The Dark Knight
Synecdoche, New York
Let the Right One In
Wall-E
Slumdog Millionaire
Man on Wire
Milk
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Pineapple Express
Frost / Nixon

4-7 are pretty much interchangeable... but all are fantastic.

As there doesn't look like much I want to see before the new year at the cinema and I'm unlikely to catch up on those I've missed on DVD before then, here's my top 10 of those released in the UK in 2008:

Wall-E
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood
Pineapple Express
The Dark Knight
Lust, Caution
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
The Orphanage
Dan in Real Life

Honourable mentions to Iron Man, My Blueberry Nights, Cloverfield and Gomorrah.

Those that could (easily) move in that I've yet to see include Body of Lies, Appoloosa, Rocknrolla, In Bruges, Hunger, The Savages, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, Youth Without Youth, Margot at the Wedding, Man on Wire, Persepolis, City of Men, Mongol, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days, The Wave, The Chaser, La Zona and Fear(s) of the Dark.

I love Hugh Jackman, and I'm curious to see what he'll do. I prefer the "funny" hosts, but I'm sure I'll be so dazzled by his beauty that any jokes he make will go ZOOM right on by me.

I also heard reference to a new format for the Oscars, so I'm curious to see what that's all about.

Shouldn't he get an Oscar nom for that scene in Australia, pouring the bucket of water on himself? Just sayin'

I can't find a picture of that, this one will do

hugh-jackman-bondi-beach-d06.jpg

The best movie I've seen so far this year was recently: Slumdog Millionaire.

The movie is like a Spielberg movie with perfect editing and a satisfying ending. I got lump in my throat at the end. I think it should get at least nominated for best picture. I feel a real charge after seeing this.

Slumdog would have been better without the Bollywood dancing bit.

Jai ho!

Would it really have? If it had just cut to credits over black would you have left the movie more satisfied? Hmmm?

Back
Top Bottom