SURVIVOR - One World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A mediocre first episode.

How much I like this season will be inversely proportional to how long Colton stays.

Definitely not off to a rousing start.

The "you have to give the idol to the other team" thing blows.
Alicia is an uberbitch.
Its obvious the men would get fire quickly as they have Colton who is flaming.
Broken wrist saved Kourtney from being voted off first cause that looks like how it would have gone down anyway.
Matt Shirtstain isn't the brightest bulb on the tree, obviously math not a prerequisite to becoming a lawyer when he forms an alliance of 4 and calls it "dominant" on a 9 person tribe...he'll be gone soon.
The Pit Boss acquitted himself well.
Please no more shots of Nina till her fat lip heals (OK just no more closeups of Nina period).

The ladies weren't exactly putting a good showing in either. At least the guys got along with each other for the most part. The ladies not so much.

The guys started it by stealing their shit from off the truck.

I enjoyed the first episode. Major drama already :love:

Alicia wont last long with that bitch ass attitude.

not off to a good start at all

the guys are just a bunch of arrogant dicks.

Not a good start for the women, I agree. But from an entertainment standpoint, I thought it was a much better beginning than probably the last two seasons. Last season, I don't think I got invested at all until later in the season. . .In fact, I don't think I was ever invested in last season. But this season, I already have favorites in the first episode.

My only complaint is that it looks like the women are going to be lagging challenge-wise, which I think is unfortunate.

The guys do seem to be jerks, but I think there are some decent guys in there--they're just overshadowed by the assholes--the banker and that blond guy and the two Tarzans. There sure doesn't seem to be much incentive to make nice with the other tribe. Makes it easy for your own tribe to vote you out.

I really like the alliance Chelsea and Sabrina are in (even though I concede that Alicia is highly annoying), and I hope it goes far.

Alicia wont last long with that bitch ass attitude.

She may, if that first day alliance holds and her attitude remains directed at those outside her alliance. If I'm Chelsea and Sabrina (can't remember who the other two were in that group...Kat was one of them, I think), seeing how things are shaping up challenge-wise, having that alliance is vital and keeping Alicia around would be a good long term strategy.

I agree with maycocksean, Alicia is absolutely safe. The girls will stick to that five-some alliance for sure since the weaklings are all on the outside.

Chelsea seems to be the best pick to win at this point. She had a strong "winner's quote" in the first episode about controlling the game, snatched up two chickens (!), had a great quote after the challenge that kind of presented her as the tribal leader, etc. She's also clearly athletic enough to be a big immunity threat as well.

Colton is just a terrible, terrible player. He pretty much gave up about ten minutes into the game. Honestly, if he avoided the girls and helped do some manly work with the guys, he could probably easily outlast Tarzan and another male or two on his tribe. Now, he's just a sitting duck and will probably receive all the votes when they go to tribal, play the idol and send home somebody strong. This will only further ruin his position within the tribe which is already at a low.

I thought the premiere was an excellent start. It doesn't look like this season will have much in the way of huge personalities, but I think it's a game savvy enough bunch that will make for some interesting switch-ups down the round.

My only complaint is that it looks like the women are going to be lagging challenge-wise, which I think is unfortunate

Did you see the other male vs. female seasons? The challenges are pretty bullshit and don't require much in the way of physicality (which, frankly, I prefer to a season like Palau which was all physical). In both Amazon/Vanuatu, they had challenges with a balance beam and the men ended up getting their asses kicked which was why it was surprising to see them do so well on it last night. Survivor allows you to go across the beam on your ass though, so pity the men that go themselves in trouble right away by not doing the obvious.

Anyway, we'll see lots of challenges heavy on puzzle elements or getting through slim obstacle courses, etc. The women will win plenty.

Big Mac, I was just reading your predictions from the last several Survivor seasons. None of them panned out. Maybe this season you'll break your streak. :wink:

Well, I predicted that Kourtney/Colton would stick out right away and Jeff even picked them out at the start of the episode for that reason, so plus on me. Also, the strong males have control over on the men's tribe (with them already laughing at Tarzan) and the young, strong women have taken over on the women's tribe. So, technically, my prediction from earlier is quite correct although I don't think it took any skill to suss any of that out simply by looking at this cast.

Dude, you've been predicting winners for the last several seasons and been incorrect every time. Don't go breaking your arm patting yourself on the back by predicting that Kourtney/Colton would stick out like sore thumbs. Kourtney has tattoos near her tits and wore a whale hat. Colton has a lisp that would put the boys on Christopher Street to shame. I'm pretty sure everyone else thought they would stick out from the rest of the cast.

Well, I predicted that Kourtney/Colton would stick out right away and Jeff even picked them out at the start of the episode for that reason, so plus on me. Also, the strong males have control over on the men's tribe (with them already laughing at Tarzan) and the young, strong women have taken over on the women's tribe. So, technically, my prediction from earlier is quite correct although I don't think it took any skill to suss any of that out simply by looking at this cast.

Hope you're right. I'm rooting for the women personally, so I don't want to see them blown out at challenges.

I agree that the challenges are fair, but based on last night's episode and the preview next week it sounds like they struggle challenge-wise at least initially.

I also agree about Chelsea. Catching those chickens when no one else could--pretty badass! I like her a lot--she's tough, she seems to have a good head on her shoulders, comes off as an all-around cool chick. I hope she goes far. She could be my first "Survivor crush" since I was smitten with Dani years back (she won the season she was in :heart: ). :D

By the way, Big Mac, I'm just busting your balls. I certainly appreciate your passion for the show and the game.

Well, predicting a winner is a pretty hard science to be honest. I mean, you have a 1-in-16to20 chance of getting it right. I did peg Richard Hatch as the winner of Borneo and Aras as the winner of Exile Island, but I think that's it based on a first episode choice.

Anyway, this is page 2 of the thread and Alicia's ass needs some more :applaud:

Oh yes, it's very difficult. I don't really try to predict who wins. I just pick out a few people who I root for.
Alicia definitely has some booty, but she should know better than to play the bitch card. Being a bitch doesn't really work in Survivor. Look at Jerri. She played the bitch card and didn't come close to winning. Even though she was a Villian in Heroes Vs. Villains, her nicer side emerged and she at least advanced further in the game.

I thought the first episode was very entertaining. When the guys started stealing from the ladies, it wasn't like Jeff was yelling for them to stop. All's fair in Survivor and war. :wink: Just ask Rupert the Pirate.

ok, the women really do diserve to lose.

this challenge was one they should have been able to win

this season has had two back to back sub-par episodes

- Sabrina's pretty funny. There's no way she won't be back on an All Star season. Talkative, strong, mouthy.

- Colton made a big power play. It was obvious that the muscle foursome would crumble. The editors went out of the way to show the names of the five women forming the majority alliance in the first episode (which in turn made it obvious that Nina would go home tonight), but they didn't do that for the guys. Probably because those jocks started acting cocky despite not even having the five they needed for a majority....

- The women would have been better off without Kat. They've now made it abundantly clear that their priorities are on keeping their alliances rather than winning. Christina/Monica will now flip for sure if they make the merge...

- But with the muscle head jocks mad at Colton after he turns the numbers on them, those guys will probably flip to the girls' five-some and hand them the game.

- And then that female fivesome will be the final five...hence why they went through the trouble to demonstrate their alliance and the members involved right off the bat in the first episode. Under that scenario, methinks Kat will be dragged to the finals and receive zero jury votes.

- I mean, seriously? You're going to go up to another woman and fart on her in front of ten million people?

Also, imagine how pissed the fans will be if the female tribe loses four of the six immunities before a merge at the Final 12. The women would have only five left (their entire majority alliance) and the men would have seven. However, the men would have two muscle jocks wanting to flip because they're pissed at Colton and/or Colton wanting to flip. It's like winning the game through losing. I mean, you could argue that the females had more tact because nobody flipped from their side under that scenario, but that would only because the people that would have flipped didn't make the merge...I always figured this scenario could happen in the game at some point. This just might be the season. If so, it's kind of bullshit. The women's tribe could effectively win the game simply by winning one immunity before the merge and causing the male jocks to realize that they aren't in power...thus making the five the men won entirely irrelevant. And frankly, given the disadvantage the women are already at, this is probably the only scenario that leads to any of them winning the game.

It's also stupid that Colton could flip to the women because there's nothing the men could have done to prevent that. He made up his mind before he ever even said a word to the other men on his tribe.

you have laid out a lot of stuff there
and it could all play out like that, too

if that all does happen, I will like it.
I would not mind at all if a woman ends up winning.

I will find it very boring if the men, just power through the women
and then some dumb jock wins

The dumb jocks will be drawing dead the second they go to tribal council. The challenges aren't all that physical so the men don't really need them. They'll go home at every pre-merge tribal since everyone in Colton's alliance won't see a point in flipping things up. The problem is that they will alienate the three left from the jocks alliance immediately whereas the women only have two on the outside as of right now.

I don't mind the women winning or anything. It's just a weird scenario where the numbers would work out perfectly for them. I mean, the only way they could get a majority now going into the merge would be to win four straight immunity challenges and then hope Christina/Monica don't flip. I just don't see that scenario happening whatsoever, so the only road to victory now is to have some disgruntled men flip to their side. I do think people like Alicia, Chelsea and Sabrina go deep in this game and that alliance they created at the start might last through to the end.

Two very important points from last night you didn't bring up...

Tarzan...worst choice in underwear in history. Has the man looked in a mirror before? With that physique he shouldn't be wearing the bikini briefs he bought when he was 22 still.

Probst wore a green shirt at the immunity challenge...possibly first time ever not in blue...he did switch back to blue for TC.

Now the question is...will Colton need to play the idol when (if) the men lose immunity? If he has the 5 non jocks all on board, they could vote out Matt the math lawyer (wonder how long it'll take him after he's voted out to figure out that an alliance of 4 on a tribe of 9 is not "dominant" no matter how muscular you are). Its too bad Carson Daly is aligned with him, cause I like Carson so far, just happens to be muscular and therefore aligned with the math challenged lawyer.

Men had much better strategy on the challenge having the Pit Boss go first with the most people to traverse and having Carson and the math lawyer at the end being able to essentially lift people past them to the finish line. Women should have had a legit shot at this one, smaller size and usually better balance working in their favor, but Kat f'ed the thing up from jump street...Daunte Culpepper's wife was the only one with any clue and by the time they let her show them the way they were toast. One of them said that "it was the boobs" that caused them to lose...Dolly Parton ain't on that tribe, there were plenty of ways around (like going behind) the boobs were a poor excuse.

I knew when they went to commercial before the preview/exit interview that Nina and her fat lip would mention "life experience" in her exit interview. While Kat is a severe liability, Nina brought zero to the table and deserved eviction, her "life experience" as a fat lipped LA cop didn't help her from laying about camp and doing nothing. Hope Mrs. Culpepper gets to stay around longer than some of the alliance of 5, she is the one playing the best (challenge and camp wise) on the women's tribe and she deserves to be around longer certainly than Katfart and probably AliciaUberbitch, though Uberbitch's mouth will keep her around cause she'd be a great companion at the final TC for someone.

With the way the men are going right now, I don't see them losing a challenge. Once they got their fire going, it was all down hill for them. The women have shown no cohesion whatsoever. It seems like Chelsea, Christina and Culpepper's wife are the only ones with a clue. Alicia is obviously in the running for this season's Naonka Award.

The women are pathetic. Kim, Chelsea and Sabrina seem to be operating with some brain power (the first two are on my team in my Survivor pool, yay), but as for the rest, total disaster.

I think at least some of the jocks will be picked off as soon as they go to tribal. Whoever said upthread that they're not needed for super physical challenges has nailed it. Given how weak the women are, the non-jock men should immediately start picking off the strongest guys, one by one. Total no-brainer.

Colton is supremely irritating, but he could be the Cochrane of this season and get a lot further than I would have initially thought.

It was weird that Colton said he was alligned with Leif, Jonas and Tarzan when it was clearly Troyzan that was sitting with the other three guys. I didn't even notice Tarzan awake at all.

It seems that they'll have five though and won't need to play the idol whatsoever. Matt and Mike are the ones on their radar, so they'll go home before Bill and Jay.

Colton's edit has seemed too damn massive for a pre-merge boot, so I think he makes the merge. I've also heard rumors of Troyzan being a major character (in the Coach/Phillip vein) and that he's been asked back for another season. But again, rumors.

It seems that they'll have five though and won't need to play the idol whatsoever. Matt and Mike are the ones on their radar, so they'll go home before Bill and Jay.

I assumed based on the first episode that Matt would be the first to go if the 5 get their act together - he seemed totally obnoxious and over-represented, but then they all slinked away into the background this week so it's tough to tell.

A friend of mine ran into Cochran at the airport in Chicago and he hinted that they're going to mix up the tribes early on. Don't know how he knows that but I assume he must have some inside information on the current season.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did that, to keep the women from being decimated.

If it happens it would throw all of BigMac's prognistications out wouldn't it?

Colton is a kick in the pants! At first we thought he was going to be so quick to leave, then we felt he was going to be real entertainment this season, then the drama set in and now I'm wondering if he could really pull things off and make it far through this series! He's good for a few laughs, that's for sure!

I don't see Colton winning. He's already too disliked by the others. He'll probably go as far as Cochran did in his game. Definitely wouldn't surprise me if they mixed up the tribes. I remember several seasons back when there was the whole controversy of the tribes initially being split up by race. I think that was the one where Yul won. Certainly had a lot of folks talking.

Monica is the only good thing on that tribe right now. Good to know Duante got something right...

They had to stay with Kat at this point in the game. Way too early to break things up - loyalty goes a long way.

And BigMac needs his own Survivor blog ;)

Back
Top Bottom