Stay Classy... Anchorman!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just saw it. I thought it was great. Not really a touch on the first one -what is? - but there were plenty of laughs, a lot of satisfying callbacks and some great cameos.

Loved the little subversive nod to the type of news that gets ratings and the gradual progression to that... Wasn't expecting commentary. The only bit I didn't like was his relationship with his black female boss. It was unnecessary, made little sense, the gags were predictable and save for a few weren't funny, and the race aspect of it made me uncomfortable. He was an ignorant buffoon at the dinner table, but a minute later she was apologising to him in a cab.

Also Kanye.

Just saw it. I thought it was great. Not really a touch on the first one -what is? - but there were plenty of laughs, a lot of satisfying callbacks and some great cameos.

Loved the little subversive nod to the type of news that gets ratings and the gradual progression to that... Wasn't expecting commentary. The only bit I didn't like was his relationship with his black female boss. It was unnecessary, made little sense, the gags were predictable and save for a few weren't funny, and the race aspect of it made me uncomfortable. He was an ignorant buffoon at the dinner table, but a minute later she was apologising to him in a cab.

Also Kanye.

Thank you for that mini review. I heard roughly the same thing. Probably won't see this in theaters, but I'll probably get it on the black market.

I liked it a lot more than I expected to. Too much effort was put into making it the exact same movie as the first one and the characterizations were disastrous in spots (Brick is unintelligent, not from another dimension), but I thought the script was great and the spirit that made the original special was left intact.

I completely disagree with you on that Cobbler I laughed through the whole scene

I mean, sure it was uncomortable, but that was the point. These movies are both supposed to be existing in a time period and that time period included him being uncomfortable and trying to (idiotically) bridge the race gap he viewed present, when it wasn't. His inability to "read the room" was brought up more than once in the film.

Anyways, I was so damn happy. All I really wanted out of this movie was for Ron and Veronica to not stay split up and thanks to that, I was more than pleased.

Audience loved the film too, the kid was a horrible actor and that was brilliant, the call-backs to the last movie weren't shoe-horned in like I had feared they would be. They definitely took care when they wrote this script and it came through.

And I wouldn't say that was a little nod to popular news, it was basically the whole plot. Thought it was really well done. I'm glad we had a few different villains in the film but nothing over-the-top like the feud between Ron and Veronica because, really, how can you top that?

The bit with the shark was just the kind of stupid I wanted out of this film.

And, finally, last, but not least:

Liam Neeson made me choke on my popcorn when he showed up. I purposely didn't look to see who the cameos were going to be and I couldn't have been happier because of it. I laughed so hard, biggest response from me of the whole film.

The one and only thing about the film that completely threw me off was how much bigger the budget obviously was. The production values of this film looked absolutely nothing like the last one. They didn't look like they were filmed in the same universe at all, you could just tell that everything about this film was more expensive and that threw me off a bit throughout.

Basically: Anchorman is one of my favorite movies ever and I was very nervous about this sequel, but they did the original film justice and I am completely satisfied with what we got here today.

Also, Kanye is the worst actor...of all time.

Oh and

HE'S A WERE-HYENA!

EDIT:

Oh my God, it's a real phrase!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werehyena

I completely disagree with you on that Cobbler I laughed through the whole scene

I mean, sure it was uncomortable, but that was the point. These movies are both supposed to be existing in a time period and that time period included him being uncomfortable and trying to (idiotically) bridge the race gap he viewed present, when it wasn't. His inability to "read the room" was brought up more than once in the film.

Anyways, I was so damn happy. All I really wanted out of this movie was for Ron and Veronica to not stay split up and thanks to that, I was more than pleased.

Audience loved the film too, the kid was a horrible actor and that was brilliant, the call-backs to the last movie weren't shoe-horned in like I had feared they would be. They definitely took care when they wrote this script and it came through.

And I wouldn't say that was a little nod to popular news, it was basically the whole plot. Thought it was really well done. I'm glad we had a few different villains in the film but nothing over-the-top like the feud between Ron and Veronica because, really, how can you top that?

The bit with the shark was just the kind of stupid I wanted out of this film.

And, finally, last, but not least:

Liam Neeson made me choke on my popcorn when he showed up. I purposely didn't look to see who the cameos were going to be and I couldn't have been happier because of it. I laughed so hard, biggest response from me of the whole film.

The one and only thing about the film that completely threw me off was how much bigger the budget obviously was. The production values of this film looked absolutely nothing like the last one. They didn't look like they were filmed in the same universe at all, you could just tell that everything about this film was more expensive and that threw me off a bit throughout.

Basically: Anchorman is one of my favorite movies ever and I was very nervous about this sequel, but they did the original film justice and I am completely satisfied with what we got here today.

Also, Kanye is the worst actor...of all time.

Oh and

HE'S A WERE-HYENA!

EDIT:

Oh my God, it's a real phrase!
Werehyena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With regards to that scene

Really what made me a little uncomfortable was Linda went from being an aggressive, powerful boss, who was disgusted with the Channel 4 News Team's behaviour, to hopelessly attracted to Ron Burgundy with no exposition whatsoever. I get that the dinner was time-specific (and the jokes at the dinner were the ones I laughed at, particularly when he called the family "pipe-hittin' bitches") but after all that she was apologising to him in the cab. It didn't work for me.

Also the shark stuff was pretty dumb, yeah.

I liked it a lot more than I expected to. Too much effort was put into making it the exact same movie as the first one and the characterizations were disastrous in spots (Brick is unintelligent, not from another dimension), but I thought the script was great and the spirit that made the original special was left intact.

Brick gave me some of the biggest laughs of the whole film.

It's not that I didn't find Brick funny, he absolutely was, it was just a classic example of writers taking a quirky character people loved and and turning them into something truly wacky to crank up the lulz.

Last edited:
Also yeah, Kanye can't act based on Anchorman 2. I hate to say it but Drake had him covered.

Found this an interesting read... Will Ferrell Says Working With Kanye West On 'Anchorman 2' Meant Listening To A Lot Of 'Yeezus'

"It was very surreal to have Kanye -- who's such a big fan of comedy -- in our movie hanging out for two days", he said. "He was playing the new tracks a lot -- over and over. Even when you're trying to film, he's playing the tracks."

The "tracks" are the ones that comprise "Yeezus," which was released in June, right around the same time West filmed his cameo for "Anchorman 2." Naturally, the cast and crew were too intimidated to ask West to stop blaring his music on the set.

"We got a scared 18-year-old intern to ask him to turn them down," Ferrell joked before revealing that West lingered around the set after his scenes were finished. "He hung out, even after we said, 'You're done'. He was like, 'no, no' and stayed in the background, hanging out and fighting with people."

:lol:

Saw this last night. Tons of good laughs. The last half of the movie was kind of ridiculous, but I went to see a ridiculous movie, so I walked out happy.

After almost a year that the movie came out, I finally caught The Legend Continues on Epix this weekend. I agree, the shark scene was dumb, but for the most part the movie was funny. They showed the original and the super sized version which was 30 minutes longer. Not sure which I like better yet. Anyone have a preference?

The super sized version was amusing, but the original cut is a little more concise. The first Anchorman is better than both of them.

Yeah, I'd mostly like to see it for the same reason I watched Wake Up, Ron Burgundy, just can't get enough of these guys.

I like Brian the best, but Ron is good too, of course. Champ is amusing. Brick is my least favorite, but more so in The Legend Continues. The scene in front of the soda machine with Kristen Wiig went on a little long, but I'm sure by my 20th view, I'll laugh my ass off. :wink:

Brick's story line might have been the only thing that I didn't like about the movie.

Right, plus they could have utilized Kristen Wiig a little better. Her funniest moment is her tighty whitey wearing butt smeared across a laundromat window. :huh:

Who the heck is Julius Caesar?
You know I don't watch the NBA.
?????.

I saw this movies at an advanced screening at like 11 PM with my dad and a bunch of college kids. There were about 20 people there and we laughed our balls off the whole time.
I guess that atmosphere just made it more memorable and even more hilarious.
The Doby song and the van scenes had me rolling.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I thought Brick was fucking hilarious in the sequel.

Did love the sequel, not a patch on the first one of course, but it was great.

Although - and I hate to say this - Kanye's acting left a bit to be desired. Drake outshone him.

I thought Brick was fucking hilarious in the sequel.

Did love the sequel, not a patch on the first one of course, but it was great.

Although - and I hate to say this - Kanye's acting left a bit to be desired. Drake outshone him.

If you smoke enough weed or get drunk enough, Brick IS hilarious.

Not sure if you could judge Kanye and Drake's acting. They were barely in the movie. The battle scene wasn't nearly as funny as the first movie. Liam Neeson and his son couldn't save it. We needed Tim Robbins and Ben Stiller in there. :wink:

Brick was hilarious in the sequel. I finally watched it on Netflix. Part 2 did meander for a while but it had its moments.

Brick was a prime example of the biggest problem I have with comedy in general. You have something that people find hilarious, you think, OK, let's go with that and then in the next incarnation, you over do it.

It's the same thing with making a movie for the Minions or the Penguins of Madagascar. Were they the funniest parts of their respective movies? Yeah. But that was because they were comic relief. When you take that one thing and make a full movie out of it, it almost inherently fails.

/stillexcitedfortheLegoBatmanmovie.

Brick was a prime example of the biggest problem I have with comedy in general. You have something that people find hilarious, you think, OK, let's go with that and then in the next incarnation, you over do it.

It's the same thing with making a movie for the Minions or the Penguins of Madagascar. Were they the funniest parts of their respective movies? Yeah. But that was because they were comic relief. When you take that one thing and make a full movie out of it, it almost inherently fails.

/stillexcitedfortheLegoBatmanmovie.
:up:

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom