Star Wars Episode VIII: A New Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think cobbler (a dumbass) said he watched Revenge of the Sith first, which is just hilarious on a number of levels. So that's probably part of how he knows Hayden Christensen.

Why do any require more suspension of disbelief than the others? And suddenly the introduction of more dialects besides American and British English and it's somehow funny? Sounds a little racist to me. Bravo to Lucas for casting outside the box and not getting too hung up on some tiny bit of continuity. The guy who plays Captain Typho is also Maori if I'm not mistaken. Also, I'm pretty sure there's a line in The Force Awakens about them not using clones anymore so I'm not sure if your comment about Stormtroopers even makes sense.

Because it's insanely boring.

I am also yet to meet a Maori person who doesn't laugh that the Star Wars original Nazi equivalent are brown folks, if they like Star Wars and it ends up coming up in conversation.

I'm aware they don't use clones anymore by The Force Awakens, that's why Finn freaks and joins the Resistance by and large.

It was pretty funny that that was my first introduction to Star Wars. I'll see if I can find the link for you tonight - the ending (where Vader screams "nooooo") ends up being "do not waaaaant", it's really funny.

Anyway, it was worse before Lucas fixed it, when you had some old dude who Anakin could never have possibly looked like because his face was burned when he was much younger.

:down: It was fine the way it was. In fact I find it rather telling that a person watching it for the first time finds Christensen's inclusion to be odd because it is.

:down: It was fine the way it was. In fact I find it rather telling that a person watching it for the first time finds Christensen's inclusion to be odd because it is.
Right
If Anakin's ghost shows up as Christensen, shouldn't Obi show as MacGregor?

Regarding the burns, we're seeing his essence/aura or whatever you want to call it not his actual physical self, so its fine to have Sebastian Shaw as the older Anakin as the original version had.

I don't believe Vader's transformation is too abrupt, and I guess that's part of what the prequels help flesh out; Sith Lords are always plotting against their masters and Vader wasn't lying when he tried to get Luke to help him overthrow the Emperor and rule together. When he is wounded and Luke refuses to put him away at the Emperor's request, and then subsequently seeing Luke being tortured as a result is enough for me to see him turn on his master.

i believe (folks feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) that lucas already had the basic outline of the prequels written out before the original trilogy was made. so if that's true, then watching his son being tortured to death no doubt brought back memories of what happened to padme, which could easily be a trigger for his sudden change of heart.

Just the fact that its his son being tortured/killed is enough of a reason for the change of heart. The other stuff (plotting against the master and memories of Padme) just add to it, no reason to find that change in Vader hard to believe.

True, but Vader tried to kill Luke/ chopped off his hand/sent him plummeting probably to his death like "oh well, bye" in Empire, and that was - what, a few years in between?

I like RoTJ a lot, but that's a pretty big shift in that time from "lol, bye Lefty" to his son to "Oh shit, my son is being tortured there is still good in me!"

Maybe Vader found Jesus in between.

(I don't really feel that strongly about it, I just finally had something to add to the conversation here.)

Yeah I mean I don't feel strongly about it either, purely because the ending is really nice and I loved it, it just seems a little tonally odd that he has a complete reversal in the space of three or four minutes. Maybe some more exposition on Vader in ROTJ would have helped.

Later reports have claimed they were fired as current Star Wars boss Kathleen Kennedy continually disagreed with their freewheeling directing style. Something major must have happened to oust them with just 3 weeks remaining of a 5 month shoot. Why not just boot them from the editing suite when it's all in the can, maybe order some reshoots?

Big question is who will step in to finish it, and soon? Will they get credit, as I believe DGA rules state only one director, or duo, gets sole credit if they filmed over 50% of the movie. Richard Lester refilmed just enough of Superman 2 when he was brought in to replace Richard Donner to claim sole credit and I can imagine any notable director would want the same thing. Last I heard, Ron Howard was the hot rumour, would he work uncredited when not just doing narration?

This is now the 6th Star Wars film not directed by Lucas, and to my count the 4th of them with significant behind the scenes trouble. Lucas clashed frequently with Kershner on Empire, he ghost directed Jedi and of course there were Rogue One's reshoots. You'd think this franchise was practically a way of printing money but you'd best adhere to the template apparently. Can only hope Rian Johnson has injected Ep VIII with some unique personality and not turned in a 'safe' addition like Abrahm's Ep VII.

Last edited:
On the next Han Solo...
images

Ron ain't terrible but this is a dumb turn. Lord and Miller were the only chance this movie would be worthwhile. But weren't they already four months into shooting? Sounds like another Rogue One situation and we know how that turned out.
...bad

True, but Vader tried to kill Luke/ chopped off his hand/sent him plummeting probably to his death like "oh well, bye" in Empire, and that was - what, a few years in between?

I like RoTJ a lot, but that's a pretty big shift in that time from "lol, bye Lefty" to his son to "Oh shit, my son is being tortured there is still good in me!"

Maybe Vader found Jesus in between.

(I don't really feel that strongly about it, I just finally had something to add to the conversation here.)

Well, it's worth noting that Vader didn't send Luke plummeting anywhere in Empire. Vader had his hand reached out to Luke, offering him help to get back up to the platform, when Luke voluntarily let go and fell.

Also, I have never encountered anyone, on the internet or in real life, that defends the prequels(which I don't hate, but they have many problems) the way Laz does. I think he's the only here I've ever seen defend the Hayden-at-the-end-of-Jedi thing.

And Cobbler, if you're watching the original trilogy on DVD or blu-ray, you're watching a special edition. The original, unaltered trilogy was never released on either format, except for a half-assed DVD release in 2004 that was low quality because it was actually a laserdisc rip.

If you'd ever be interested in watching the unaltered versions, a guy by the moniker of Harmy combined a bunch of sources to unofficially rebuild the unaltered versions in HD, and they are fantastic. This project has its own wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmy's_Despecialized_Edition

Ron ain't terrible but this is a dumb turn. Lord and Miller were the only chance this movie would be worthwhile. But weren't they already four months into shooting? Sounds like another Rogue One situation and we know how that turned out.
...bad

Rogue One is really good on the whole, and the second half is outright great.

Eh... I think it's pretty easily the worst Star Wars movie. Such a boring tone-deaf mess until about the last 40 minutes which are admittedly kinda cool.

Eh... I think it's pretty easily the worst Star Wars movie. Such a boring tone-deaf mess until about the last 40 minutes which are admittedly kinda cool.

I would take it easily over AOTC, probably TPM as well. Maybe even The Force Awakens.

All the transitions to the various locations in the first section of the film were not necessarily disorienting but certainly not put together in a momentum-building way. It just wasn't very engaging.

Also, I have never encountered anyone, on the internet or in real life, that defends the prequels(which I don't hate, but they have many problems) the way Laz does.

I have several friends in their late 20s-early 30s who are knowledgeable film guys and will debate people who make negative passing remarks about the films. They feel as strongly as I do, even if we all know we're in the minority.

If you want more of a professional opinion, Matt Zoller Seitz is one of the best film writers online, he started the House Next Door Blog (and became known for his long musings on Terrence Malick's The New World) and now writes for Roger Ebert's official site.

Here's something he wrote way back when about Revenge of the Sith that's pretty in-line with what I feel:

Fellowship of the Sith | The House Next Door | Slant Magazine

Back
Top Bottom