South Park New Season!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mofo

Refugee
Anyone watched it? I thought the whole Indiana Jones rape thing was hilarious, didn't care much for Cartman's chinese invasion except for Butters shooting everyone in the crotch:drool:

Butters rules.

Did you pick up on the rape scenes?
Not sure if the first was supposed to parody anything, but the 2nd was The Accused, and the 3rd was Deliverance.

It's not a new season...it's part 2 of season 12, which started in the spring.

Anyway, the episode was two plots that could have been full episodes of their own crammed together and stifled. Meh, it's probably for the best that they weren't made into their own episodes...they just seemed like 2-3 jokes repeated for 10 minutes anyway. It was disappointing.

Season 11 was actually very good overall. I hope Trey Parker and Matt Stone get out of this slump, and fast.

cartman.jpg

One of the worst SP episodes of all time.

I'll be brutally honest, I haven't seen the new Indy movie.
Don't really care that much about it, to be honest.
Maybe that's buoyed by lukewarm reviews, whatever.
I worship the original trilogy. Especially the 1st and 3rd.
The 1st (Raiders)is IMO, the best popcorn movie ever.
End of story.

The Indy rape idea on SP, is hilarious.
Redundant of previous episodes? Ok, maybe but funny.
There is also a slightly amusing China flavor going on.

You seem to, at the very least be a pseudo film buff.
What would make this anywhere near one of their worst episodes, Lance?
This opinion baffles me. Could you explain? If you want.

I don't mean disrespect.
You actually purport yourself as a film buff, rather than a average hack like me. Seems, you might have a technical explanation we maybe could all handle.

I'll be brutally honest, I haven't seen the new Indy movie.
Don't really care that much about it, to be honest.
Maybe that's buoyed by lukewarm reviews, whatever.
I worship the original trilogy. Especially the 1st and 3rd.
The 1st (Raiders)is IMO, the best popcorn movie ever.
End of story.

The Indy rape idea on SP, is hilarious.
Redundant of previous episodes? Ok, maybe but funny.
There is also a slightly amusing China flavor going on.

You seem to, at the very least be a pseudo film buff.
What would make this anywhere near one of their worst episodes, Lance?
This opinion baffles me. Could you explain? If you want.

I don't mean disrespect.
You actually purport yourself as a film buff, rather than a average hack like me. Seems, you might have a technical explanation we maybe could all handle.

That's the problem with it though. It's an idea, and as you say, not even a particularly original one. This episode consisted of nothing but two comedic ideas. 1. Literalize the "rape" of the move. 2. Cartman chinese parnoia. Two solid building blocks for a classic SP yarn. Unfortunately they failed to develop these even slightly beyond that basic concept. No arc, nothing. And not only to do they fail to develop those ideas in the slightest, but the episode didn't even have any real jokes. The most successful SP episodes follow a very proven formula. Equal parts straight satire and absurd humor. The writing on the show has been consistently leaning further towards the satire-only side of the spectrum and it suffers significantly.

They've been pretty smart, and fairly high-concept of late, but they seem to be losing sight of what actually makes their idea funny. This was a prime example of that failure in my eyes. Not nearly as bad as the Britney Spears episode from earlier in the season, but not a whole lot better either.

season 13 is on now

the jonas brothers one was ok
the coon one was rubbish
but the 3rd one on the economy was pretty good

But not a patch on Season 11 and 12 which were amazing

I actually think season 13 is miles ahead of where season 12 was at this point. Margaritaville alone is more inspired and clever than pretty much anything from last season, and there hasn't been any worthless crap like Britney's New Look yet.

yea but cartman getting aids is one of the funniest things i have seen

"i'm not just positive about it, I'm HIV positive about it" :lol:

And overlogging?

81515442gw0.png

I agree margaritaville was a classic

bit the coon one was dull

Jonas bros was funny due to micky mouse and kenny dying

i am working my way backwards now - s9 was the first one i really got into, just filling the gaps and then going back all the way to season 1

Geez... not sure if anyone here watches this show, but the last episode left me a little choked up (I know, right... from "South Park?").

Wow that was surprisingly authentic for the show, just going with playing "Landslide" over the closing montage and not undercutting the idea of it. I'm really interested if they buy themselves out of their Comedy Central contract and bail either now or after the next 6 episodes.

I've never been a faithful viewer of the show or anything, but I get the feeling from seeing stuff online that this was some kind of a special episode or something? I'm intrigued. What made it stand out exactly? What was the plot, and the thing that's making people get emotional about the episode?

I've never been a faithful viewer of the show or anything, but I get the feeling from seeing stuff online that this was some kind of a special episode or something? I'm intrigued. What made it stand out exactly? What was the plot, and the thing that's making people get emotional about the episode?

Well, as background there's been a marked increase in self reflection and commentary on some of the show's own tropes the last few seasons (see the Mysterion trilogy of episodes, for example), and some behind-the-scenes issues with Comedy Central and censorship for episodes 200 and 201. Tonight's episode was about Matt Stone and Trey Parker feeling isolated from the energy of the show- the pretext is it's set after Stan's 10th birthday party, where he realizes he's getting old/cynical and not liking the things the rest of his friends do. The South Park "twist" (admittedly a little cliche) is that stuff you don't get (like The Police/Bob Dylan to kids, or dubstep to adults) literally sounds like crap. Again, Randy is the token adult who goes crazy trying to prove that he's young, but at the end of it Sharon and Randy have an ostensible conversation actually directed to the audience from Matt/Trey about how they're moving apart, just aren't into what they loved before, and (Randy/Marsh) decide to get a divorce. Then a montage set to Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide" covers how the boys are splitting apart: Kyle and Cartman are hanging out and actually enjoying each other's company, Stan's alone and cynical, and the episode ends with Sharon moving out and Stan just staring at the ceiling in his empty bedroom.

I have no idea if the show's going to be back this fall.

I've only seen isolated episodes of this show, mostly because it was on "the naughty/foreign/weird channel" and my parents were vehemently against it, but my oh my what a track record it has. Shame The Simpsons is so shit these days.

I haven't watched last night's yet, but I've thought this season has been terrible for the most part. Worst season of the show so far, at least for my tastes.

I'd say S12 or S13 is the worst, although each had a couple episodes I really loved. "Canada on Strike" and "Eek, a Penis" for the former, "Eat, Pray, Queef" and "Pee" for the latter. S14 had more than a few misfires too, but at least it had "Creme Fraiche."

Honestly, I've enjoyed this half season quite a bit. Both ends of the spectrum, from the Canadian absurdity (redundant) of "Royal Pudding" to the poignant end of last night's episode.

I think the Canadian Royal Wedding scenes were some of the funniest I've seen of South Park. I also thought the Comedybot episode was pretty good. I'd be really sad if they call it quits. It's probably been my favourite show since the 2nd or 3rd season. That said, I couldn't see Parker and Stone letting the show go to shit like the Simpsons has, which I would hate to see even more. As long as they have another outlet for their humour, I'll be happy. Book of Mormon was probably the funniest thing they've done, so I'm sure they've got a lot more in the tank

Yeah, that wedding episode was good. I also liked some parts of the City Sushi vs. City Wok episode. They did a great job showing the massive cultural ignorance here in the west towards Asia in a way that was entertaining. Japanese and Chinese people really do have a terrible time understand each other's English, so that was killing me. The multiple personalities crap was lame though, and annoyed me enough to still water down what I thought was great.

I don't know, to me I'd say this season of South Park is worse than any season of the Simpsons in the last 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom