Sherlock, series 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"You said you had a thing. Do you want to add anything to that?"

"No. Only lies have details."

*comes crashing in*

A new Sherlock thread! :combust:

So I don't think I can wait for PBS to air the new episodes, especially since they shorten them by 8 minutes (or at least that's what they did for Season 2). It's going to be hard to avoid spoilers, anyway.

Piracy! :corn:

I just watched it! Or most of it; the stream crashed for a while. :doh: It was really fast-paced compared to past episodes and was also really funny, when it wasn't being intense. I'll have to wait until the actual US airdate to see the part I missed.

It was good but more about bringing Sherlock and Watson back together than the secondary plot. Gatniss is coy about whether the explanation for the end of the last episode is the true one. Watson's fiancée was funny and a little suspicious. Hoping the next one will be better.

I downloaded Google Chrome and the Hola extension just so that I could re-watch it on the BBC's site and see the part I missed. It turns out that I missed a lot of things due to the crappy quality of the live stream I was watching.

Thoughts:
-- I keep reading that "we still don't know how he did it." Um, I thought it was pretty obvious that the last scenario was the real one, since it didn't involve magicians or Sherlock making out with Moriarty (which was hilarious). Sherlock probably told Anderson the real story because he seemed to be the only one who really wanted to know. The writers said that we would find out, so I think that's it.
-- Mycroft and Sherlock playing games together was weird and adorable.
-- Sherlock needs to be punched again after that thing he did with the bomb. Apparently it's never not OK to be trolling John.

I just came across this interesting bit about John
We don't know much about Holmes's childhood, true, but he has no such ungovernable impulses as an adult. He can be accused of indoor firearm use, but not much more. As for sexual promiscuity and numerous short-term relationships? That honor is far more likely to go to the good Dr. Watson, the self-proclaimed conqueror of females over many nations and three separate continents.
in this fun article. Stop Calling Sherlock a Sociopath! Thanks, a Psychologist.
I've seen this "Three Continents Watson" thing referenced elsewhere in the fandom but I have no idea where it came from canonically. Does anybody know where this rumor of Watson the womanizer came from?

I just came across this interesting bit about John in this fun article. Stop Calling Sherlock a Sociopath! Thanks, a Psychologist.
I've seen this "Three Continents Watson" thing referenced elsewhere in the fandom but I have no idea where it came from canonically. Does anybody know where this rumor of Watson the womanizer came from?

2 - The Sign of Four - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1859-1930)

Miss Morstan entered the room with a firm step and an outward composure of manner. She was a blonde young lady, small, dainty, well gloved, and dressed in the most perfect taste. There was, however, a plainness and simplicity about her costume which bore with it a suggestion of limited means. The dress was a sombre grayish beige, untrimmed and unbraided, and she wore a small turban of the same dull hue, relieved only by a suspicion of white feather in the side. Her face had neither regularity of feature nor beauty of complexion, but her expression was sweet and amiable, and her large blue eyes were singularly spiritual and sympathetic. In an experience of women which extends over many nations and three separate continents, I have never looked upon a face which gave a clearer promise of a refined and sensitive nature. I could not but observe that as she took the seat which Sherlock Holmes placed for her, her lip trembled, her hand quivered, and she showed every sign of intense inward agitation.

Well I loved the second episode, though it's getting absolutely slaughtered by most over here, people declaring they are abandoning the series etc.

I think it delivered something that just didn't meet up with people's expectations, and most have decided that means it was shit. I found it highly entertaining, quite clever and humanised Sherlock quite well. I'll wait to see what you guys think on your side of the pond before going further.

I agree. These past two episodes have focused on developing character.

It almost looked like it would fall apart when the soldier wanted to kill himself but it worked out the way I wanted it to. It does leave a bit of the cliffhanger in that we don't know how much John will be involved in future episodes if at all.

Bring on episode 3 :up:

I'm an American cheater and watched it on a livestream this afternoon. :whistle: At first I didn't like it because I felt like I was watching Psych and Sherlock had morphed into Shawn Spencer. But it was a character-oriented episode, and it was nice to see what they do when they're not chasing terrorists and things like that. And it was extremely funny, which felt wrong at first, but I find myself wanting to watch it again.

Drunk Sherlock and John... :lol:

I really don't like it that Mary's pregnant. That was one thing that I thought would ruin the show, and it's happening. :| Or so we think; there's still one episode left. I would be surprised if she died right away this season (she dies in the original stories), but I'm wondering if she'll turn out to be evil, will have faked pregnancy symptoms for some reason because she knew Sherlock would notice, or lose the baby. Either way, she seems a little too clever and already knows how to manipulate Sherlock.

Can you really stab someone and they won't notice? :scratch:

Anyway, I'm really worried about what's going to happen in the next episode. Moffat wrote it. :uhoh: Even if it's devastating, I'm ready for a more traditional Sherlock story now with more intensity and suspense. I guess I'm ready... :ohmy:

It's weird how lots of people just want Sherlock to walk into a room make everyone else look an idiot and solve the case. We've had that quite a few times already and it reduces the character of Sherlock to a deus ex machina.

All I care about is that Watson continues to be the best Watson ever. I'd also like it if they keep going with the random story references that make my geek side smile (although I don't care if they never top how hilarious the of course "rache" was supposed to be Rachel line).

^ I'm scared. :no:

All I care about is that Watson continues to be the best Watson ever. I'd also like it if they keep going with the random story references that make my geek side smile (although I don't care if they never top how hilarious the of course "rache" was supposed to be Rachel line).

I just like hearing Benedict Cumberbatch say my name. :cute: :wink:

Ahem, anyway, I got The Complete Sherlock Holmes for Christmas, so I'm going to start reading the stories sometime soon and then maybe I'll get some of the "inside jokes" that are in the show. I've already read about some of them online, and they're pretty clever.

I'm possibly the only one, but I'm not really that crazy about Cumberbatch. He's decent enough.

He's an aquired taste. ;) Seriously though, my take is that he is really a very, very gifted actor and that Sherlock is not his best work: it just doesn't give him enough scope to work with. My favorite by far is Wreckers, followed by Third Star. His performance in Wreckers is just killer.

:shocked: Did you see that?! Did you guys see that?!

I'm happy that Moriarty might possibly still be alive, but it could also have been a setup to stop Sherlock from being exiled and sent on a "fatal" mission in Eastern Europe.
Mary shot Sherlock! :ohmy:
I was surprised at Sherlock's "girlfriend," but I knew enough about the original story to see what was going on, and there were subtle hints that it wasn't for real. It was still an entertaining twist.
Sherlock killed somebody! :ohmy:
Magnusson is a Creep with a capital C. Or was. :yikes:
That Redbeard scene was pretty sad. When Sherlock needs to calm down, he thinks of his dog... :sad: "They're putting me down now..." :sad: :sad: And that means Mycroft was telling him to think of his dog when he was scared at the wedding. :(
Mary is still pregnant. I don't like where this is going. Is the show going to be a family drama now? I was hoping that she had been faking pregnancy symptoms for some reason.
I was wondering if Sherlock would ever have a relapse. But at least Molly is there to slap some sense into him and Anderson is still up for a drug bust!

That was a fantastic episode. I was glued to my seat the whole time. Mind=Blown. And I am so stoked for next season! There is something exciting to look forward to instead of the rebuilding process that had to be done after Sherlock's "death" last year. Bring. It. On.

I gotta torrent this or something. You guys are killing me here while I try not to click all the spoilers.

No kidding. I can hardly check the thread anymore. I did in fact torrent The Empty Hearse and it was great, although for some reason it wasn't the breathless excitement that I anticipated. The most difficult part of that episode by far was creating a likeable Mary and a believable relationship for her, John and Sherlock, and they totally did it.

Back
Top Bottom