Sex & The City Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I disagree with your #3 spoiler comment. Maybe I'm weird ... but considering I had my own Mr Big in my life (although not quite the same - he ain't the love of my life :wink: ), it probably explains a lot!

I feel the only reason they had the plot be what it was in that aspect was to ... well crap, I can't say anymore without spoiling. Oh well. I'll just leave it as me going "NUH-UH" to your comment. :wink:

And I maintain that I thought Jennifer Hudson was kinda bad in this.

In regards to Jennifer Hudson, did anyone ever get the impression that she was there kind of like a *** black fairy godmother, esp with the whole keychain thing and in the last scene wearing her little cloak going off into the sunset?/not really spoiler but if you haven't seen it... ;)

Maybe I'm weird ... but considering I had my own Mr Big in my life (although not quite the same - he ain't the love of my life :wink: ), it probably explains a lot!

I feel the only reason they had the plot be what it was in that aspect was to ... well crap, I can't say anymore without spoiling. Oh well. I'll just leave it as me going "NUH-UH" to your comment. :wink:

And I maintain that I thought Jennifer Hudson was kinda bad in this.

I didn't like Jennifer Hudson.

I think my problem is that I've never liked Mr Big. I never got why she kept going back to him. Too much hurt. Now Aidan, he was a sweetheart. :love:

2008_05_28t043931_300x450_us_sexandthecity.jpg

:banghead:

I guess I liked Big because he was one charming mofo, wasn't he? He was often an asshole (and hello, cheating on his wife!). I think I'm more forgiving because I keep one foot planted in reality and can forgive a lot because it's fictional. :wink:

If it were me ... wow, I hope I'd be able to cut him out of my life for good. But who knows? If he's the love of your life and you are able to make it work, I guess it's possible to forgive a lot.

Maybe I'm just a romantic bonehead. :wink:

I never liked Aidan, but only because I personally never found John Corbett all that attractive. But yeah, he was a sweetheart.

I :love:ed Big in the movie more than I ever did on the show. He was so much more real and vulnerable. He finally proved to me that he really does love Carrie. I don't want to spoil too much, but my favorite scene was the one towards the end with Carrie and Big in the closet and that whole shebang. :heart:

Also, I want to get married in that Vivienne Westwood gown.:drool:

I :love:ed Big in the movie more than I ever did on the show. He was so much more real and vulnerable. He finally proved to me that he really does love Carrie. I don't want to spoil too much, but my favorite scene was the one towards the end with Carrie and Big in the closet and that whole shebang. :heart:

In the show he came off as really arrogant but I still loved him. However in the movie with that softer romantic side to him,WOW!

Oh and that scene you referred to :love:

Also, I want to get married in that Vivienne Westwood gown.:drool:

Really? Actually, I think it could have been the bird stuck on her head that made it look worse. I think she looked lovely when she had her hair down and the veil was lower.

^That was one of the times I cried. Another was the Brooklyn Bridge reunion.:love:

I never cried at a Big moment. I can't explain it. I just don't get them. :lol: But yes, the reunion on the bridge. :heart: :cute:

A lot of people online were complaining that you could see a microphone/camera hanging down during most shots in the film. Can't say I ever noticed it. I'm going again on Saturday to see it with Johan so I'll be able to investigate more closely. :D

I just came from the theater and with all due respect to the opinion that Big was a romantic in this film, I call bullshit. I'm not sure this is spoiler material so I'll post in a different color just in case.

Carrie never should have compromised who she was for him. It disgusted me. He wasn't willing to do it for her.

He was marrying CARRIE BRADSHAW. What the hell did he expect?

Other than that, I adored this film and found myself in tears several times.

Girlfriends :hug:

A lot of people online were complaining that you could see a microphone/camera hanging down during most shots in the film.

If I understand correctly, that's not the film's problem - it's an error done by the theater ... something about framing or something?

The question frequently comes up at Roger Ebert's "Answer Man" column, or whatever it's called.

Other than that, I adored this film and found myself in tears several times.

Girlfriends :hug:

I was choked up several times... My poor mom (who just broke up with her Big for the oh, 20th time - and I am NOT exaggerating!) was sniffling the entire time.

The scene at the party with Miranda and Steve, Sam in the background looking like a protective lioness, really got me. It's moments like that which make me think of and love my girlfriends even more.

Say all you want about it being shallow, materialistic, etc. That is the heart of the show, female friendship. :yes:

That was sad, but it also made me mad, because it just screamed "PLOT DEVICE!!" I thought Big, being Big, would have done more to get things back on track. But I suppose to have that be the main point of the movie, it had to happen that way.

I just came from the theater and with all due respect to the opinion that Big was a romantic in this film, I call bullshit.

:yes:!

That was one of the saddest parts it got to me too

Same here. That, the bridge reunion, and when Carrie gets the phone call from Big to say he's not going ahead with the wedding were all very sad moments.

I have to see this movie sometime this week!

I just want to comment about Aidan. I don't agree that he was that wonderful. I saw him as a very "My way or the highway" kinda guy, a strong, stubborn personality, and he was just not right for Carrie. I almost married one of those, so I can spot that type a mile away!!! :)

All through the movie I was staring at Cynthia Nixon's mouth and listening to her talk and wondering where the hell have I seen her before??? I've been wracking my brain for days until the coin finally dropped......AMADEUS!!!!

Remember the scene where Salieri sends a maid to Mozart's house - supposedly as an anonymous gift but actually to spy for him? Well.....she's the maid!

No one has a mouth like hers.....lol.

Check this out......recognize anyone at 1.32??

YouTube - Lacrymosa (Requiem, W.A. Mozart)

Just got back from the movie. I really liked it. Liked the way it ended. Liked the closet scene near the end you guys were talking about. Charlotte rocked - I think she Poughkeepsied, LOL! That was hilarious! I've always liked Big/Chris Noth, and even more so in the beginning of the film. :drool:

Lots of women in the theater - I think we counted 4 men total. A whole row of older/elderly women were in front of us. Thought that was pretty cool in the range of the show's appeal. :up:

just got back and I LOVED it.
Was I the only one that got teary lots and lots of times? It all started when the girls were being re-introduced and on the street with Carrie and Big and the flowers. . . .oh geez, if it was a DVD I would've had to pause it to compose myself:reject:

Finally saw it!!!!!!! :love:

I thought Big was very romantic at points, there were times he just had me melting. I think Carrie is just a little too selfish at times, like when Big was trying to take care of the email with the contractor. That scene made Big look like a jerk and Carrie look like a poor hurt woman with the mean man. I realize this is a movie, but let's just imagine this was real for a sec. In reality...couldn't a girl just give her man ten minutes to finish up the email with the contractor (a contractor that is a benefit to both of them, by the way) and then discuss wedding details afterwards? :shrug: That scene annoyed me.

Okay...more spoileriffic stuff in another color...

Before the movie, I predicted Samantha and Smith wouldn't stay together. As I watched the movie though, I thought, oh, they're gonna work out...so I was surprised that they did split. Everything was perfect on paper, and most would have thought she was a fool for leaving what appeared to be such a great situation...but she didn't care, she wasn't happy. She knew what she wanted, she didn't have it...so she was gone. It was sad, but I liked it. I also loved that Samantha didn't cheat on him.

I was surprised that who Steve had sex with didn't even come up as a question from Miranda. That would be the first thing I'd want to know if my man revealed something like that. I mean, was it a longtime friend he's still in touch with? Someone he met in the bar and never saw again? A hooker? I mean, cheating is cheating, but...ya know. Maybe for the sake of the movie though, they decided not to pull in another character.

Charlotte was so great in this movie, I loved the intense moments of anger she had towards Big, and she had some really funny moments. I love when she revealed what her opening line would be to Big if she ever saw him again...and when she actually said it to him...and, of course, when she crapped her pants.

I love, love, LOVE Big. He's charming, witty, and ultimately sweet. He's just not good at always showing exactly how he's feeling...but it's not like he's the only guy guilty of that...and a lot of those guys don't have any of that other good stuff going for them. Big means well. His role in the movie was his best yet because the arrogance got strippd away and we saw him be more vulnerable, more insecure, more genuine. Before the movie, I had predicted that they were going to get married...and something was going to go wrong to stop that (surely because of Big), but they would still get married. I was right, so...yeah, the main part of the movie was predictable for me, but it didn't make the movie any less enjoyable.

I liked Jennifer Hudson's character more than I thought I would...although all of the Louise puns did get a little annoying. I also thought it was kind of unrealistic for Carrie to be hiring a personal assistant, it didn't flow well, it just seemed like an easy way to force this new character into things. Like I said though, I did actually enjoy her character, so that was nice. I thought it was weird for her to save all of Big's emails though. Yes, I realize it had to go that way for the plot to work...but, ignoring movie stuff and being realistic...if somebody hired me as a personal assistant and told me she didn't want to see this person's emails ever again, I wouldn't store them in a separate folder under my account...I'd block them, and they'd get trashed. I know though, I know...that's why it's a movie, not real life!!

Oh, and I loved when Samantha yelled at the guy at the rehearsal dinner! She's awesome.

The last line of your post was indeed great. I love Samantha.

I had the chance to see it again this morning, but opted out. I think once is enough for me, until the dvd at least.

:up: She's a great character.

I saw it for the third time yesterday. That is DEFINITELY enough for now. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom