Sex & The City Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yum!! I loved him. John Corbett, the actor, is from West Virginia, too, like me!

Picture2-4.png

God what a HOTTIE.

So a few friends and I were discussion the movie and the series and Carrie and Big, and I voiced an opinion at the dislike of Big being painted as the bad guy, and before we came to blows (kidding) we had a very in depth discussion in which we all came around to that opinion.

Its one i've held always through out the series. While Carrie is my third favourite of the girls (with Samantha and Miranda further up the list) its not my opinion of her or the writers but perhaps the hype, or the 5 thousandth person who says they have a "big" when in reality fact, its most probably a guy who's not interested that they keep hounding and hounding taking any flicker of niceness as one step away from a wedding ring, or a totally asshole who cares less for them then a stranger on the street.

In the movie for me, I believe Carrie over reacted, and if she had stopped, and talked for a moment more, it would not have been the way it turned out (yes i know happy endings and all, but still, its the months before that get me!)
She became so preoccupied with the wedding (of a woman who cares not for weddings etc) that she scared him, she didn't reassure him, or change plans by said 'we can't stop this' well you can, you can say 'hey we've decided low key is the way sorry!' and placed stress onto someone who didn't need it. Now Big was not totally faultless, but his panic and fear is totally understandable. Also the hissy fit Carrie showed by when he was apologising by smacking him around with the flowers, was an overeacting. If they had returned to the church, no one would be any the wiser. Its ok for the man whos been married twice before to feel a little out of place and stupid at a wedding for the third time. Each time they've broken up, its been Carrie's doing, and I really feel like Big is painted as this chauvanistic arrogant man, when in fact, he isn't.

perhaps i shouldn't have opened that second bottle of wine! hahahaha

:yes:

I agree with a lot of what you said about the wedding. To have things turn out that way felt forced, like they had to force that major plot point to happen to have the rest of the movie go the way they wanted (i.e., keeping Carrie & Big apart).

In the movie for me, I believe Carrie over reacted, and if she had stopped, and talked for a moment more, it would not have been the way it turned out (yes i know happy endings and all, but still, its the months before that get me!)
She became so preoccupied with the wedding (of a woman who cares not for weddings etc) that she scared him, she didn't reassure him, or change plans by said 'we can't stop this' well you can, you can say 'hey we've decided low key is the way sorry!' and placed stress onto someone who didn't need it. Now Big was not totally faultless, but his panic and fear is totally understandable. Also the hissy fit Carrie showed by when he was apologising by smacking him around with the flowers, was an overeacting. If they had returned to the church, no one would be any the wiser. Its ok for the man whos been married twice before to feel a little out of place and stupid at a wedding for the third time. Each time they've broken up, its been Carrie's doing, and I really feel like Big is painted as this chauvanistic arrogant man, when in fact, he isn't.
amen. the point in the movie where she realized what you said (it was her fault he got last minute jitters) was the best part. because it was then that she realized, yeah the wheels that were turning for their wedding could've been stopped.

though i do feel just about every scene with carrie and big felt forced in one way or another. let's make a seemingly happy man suddenly change his mind at the last minute, infuriate the woman, and then months later they suddenly get back together and all is right in the world. it just all seemed a little hard to believe to me.

I've just finished my on-and-off Sex & The City marathon, :love: Man I love this show. The only episode I skipped is the one where Aidan and Carrie move in together and Carrie goes all shrill because Aidan's dog chewed her shoes, and Trey brings in the cardboard baby as a joke. That's my least favourite episode ever. Oh, and though I do love Carrie she's got the most irritating shriek in the history of TV, :crazy:

I've noticed a few random things I haven't noticed before; like a blink-and-miss-it appearance by the guy who plays Jeremy Darling on Dirty Sexy Money in one of the episodes. And that in one episode Carrie's boss Enid wears the same jewelry that Samantha wore a couple of episodes earlier. And that the very final episode has virtually no Carrie narration, which answers the question of why the finale always felt different to me than the rest of the series.

My most annoying Carrie-shriek moment has to be the episode where she and Aidan go to Aidan's country shack and she goes mental when she sees a squirrel in the window... TWICE! :banghead: I mean, jeez woman, it's just a :censored: squirrel!

I watched a few episodes over the weekend, and nowhere is that annoying Carrie shriek more apparent than in the episode where Nathan Lane announces he and his fag hag are getting married. The "you're getting MAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIII rried??" was akin to nails on a chalkboard.

Awwwww :sad: I LOVE that laugh!!!!!! (In the DVD commentary they tell that they did that scene over and over so Carries' laugh could change from even bigger to smaller. Though now, I can't remember if the one they used what the biggest laugh or a smaller one. :scratch: )

P.S. That episode, "I Love A Charade", is one of my all-time favorites! :heart: :heart:

:bump:
I've been borrowing the DVDs from my neighbor, until I'm able to get them on my own, and I just had to bump this thread to fully appreciate.:love:
Random thoughts.
I want to marry Steve Brady.:heart:
"They Shoot Single People, Don't They?" from Season 2 is one of my favorite episodes. I really relate to it.
The dress Carrie wore to the snobby party in "The Caste System" in Season 2, has to be the ugliest thing she wore in the entire series.

Anyone else?:sexywink:

I love Steve, but his voice is so annoying. I don't know that I've seen the actor in anything else, so I can't say if it's a put-on for the character or not.

If he sounds like that all the time, then I'll probably pass on everything else he ever does.

^ I:heart: his voice. I think it's adorable. Steve is not the type of guy I'm normally attracted to, but I just love him. He's a sweetie.:cute: I'll admit I was majorly pissed at him in the movie when he told Miranda he'd cheated on her.

I've been re-watching all the episodes ON DEMAND and I am finding Aidan annoying. I used to like him, suddenly he bugs me. I don't quite know why. He's ... boring?

I liked Aiden, especially when they met and went on several dates before they did the deed. And Carrie was wondering if something was wrong, and then, eventually he drew her a bath, got in, and then the following date where they went to listen to music, and he knew all along he was planning to spend the nite (got a dogsitter) without telling her in advance

i think i'm getting sick. 1) i watched the movie. 2) i didn't hate it. forget being sick, terminally ill is more like it. i also have watched a number of the chopped up safe for cable re-runs, being ashamed of this fact and making sure not to leave the tv on tbs when i turned it off, lest someone else turn on the tv after me and figure out what i was watching (my family would be nosy like that).

:shifty:

One of my favorite quotes from the entire series (and one that's helped me immensly the last week):

"Maybe we can be each other's soulmates, and guys can just be there for fun?" (If someone knows the exact quote, let me know, haha) :up:

I loved that quote. I remember it was Charlotte that said it. I don't remember when it was, though. My favorite quote from the entire series is the one from the ending montage of the series finale where Carrie is talking about all the different types of relationships and then says, "But the most exciting, significant and challenging relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to the love the you you love, well, that's just fabulous.":heart:

ETA: One of my favorite scenes in the entire series is from the last episode of Season 2 'Ex and the City' where Carrie finds out Big is engaged to Natasha. That final scene where she's walking away from him at the Plaza after she does her The Way We Were thing to him is perfection. I LOVE that quote, "Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they're supposed to run free until they find someone just as wild to run with them." Right as she's saying that, she sees one of the horses from the carriage rides struggling to get out of its bit. It was a great metaphor. I watched that episode after a particularly bad day with an ex boyfriend and I literally burst into tears when I saw it.:reject:

I liked Aiden, especially when they met and went on several dates before they did the deed. And Carrie was wondering if something was wrong, and then, eventually he drew her a bath, got in, and then the following date where they went to listen to music, and he knew all along he was planning to spend the nite (got a dogsitter) without telling her in advance

I just popped in the DVD the other day and watched that episode. Its one of my favorites. It totally made me realize why I fell in love with Aidan in the first place. He was such a gentleman.:love:

Just saw this from the Associated Press. I'm excited, and know that Carlos is, too ;)

Parker and gal pals plan more `Sex and the City'

LOS ANGELES - There's still sex to be had in the city, even though Carrie Bradshaw has settled down with one man.

New Line Cinema spokeswoman Candice McDonough confirms that "Sex and the City" star Sarah Jessica Parker , her three co-stars and writer-director Michael Patrick King are signed for a sequel to last year's hit movie.

The film will reunite Parker and gal pals Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis and Cynthia Nixon.

In a statement, King says: "I'm very excited to work with these amazing actresses again and would love to give everyone more information about the sequel ... but I'm busy with my `Sex' life."

New Line parent Warner Bros . plans to have the sequel out in summer 2010.

I read a mini-interview with Michael Patrick King where he said the sequel storyline won't be some huge, dramatic thing like Big leaving Carrie at the alter or Steve cheating on Miranda. He said you can only go to that well once and then you have to look somewhere else. So he said it would be a different kind of story, in line with some of the other, less dramatic, aspects of the series.

What that means, I don't know. But I'm glad they're aware enough to not try to repeat the first movie. Phew!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it too. Like Fitz and Shannon said, if they were going to make some huge dramatic storyline again, I don't know how I'd feel, but if they just make a good movie, I'll be thrilled. I still miss my SATC. Sometimes, popping in those DVDs are just what you need. :heart:

WHY GOD WHY????????????????????????????????

One movie was enough - what, her dilemma this time is if she ought to put Big in a retirement home????? :banghead:

I think I'll sit this one out. :down:

Fat chance. You'll go and laugh and cry and eat a bucket of popcorn like the rest of us and you know it.

:wink:

I've been watching the whole series again On Demand and I get so addicted. I can watch it for hours. :reject: There are very few things I can watch over and over and over, and this is one of them.

I love this show. I would marry it if I could.:heart: Like JG said, I can watch this show over and over again.:heart: I've been watching my Season 3 DVDs a lot lately, and just got done with the Carrie/Big affair arc. That's the only time where I really didn't like Carrie. Aidan was so perfect and loving and amazing, and I can't believe she threw that away on Big. I watched "Running With Scissors" last night with MPK's commentary, and he said they made Aidan that way on purpose to make Carrie look even worse. I love it. On a side note, what do you guys think of Season 1? It's always been one of my favorite seasons because it has such an indie, eclectic raw feeling to it, but I've seen online that a lot of people hate it. I really don't get why.

Back
Top Bottom