Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've seen in the ads for it it looks terrible, I mean the reason she's cursed seems so stupid and the whole thing just looks like a bad horror movie cliche. Even if it is getting good reviews and is the best film ever, the ads for it have put me off ever wanting to see it

That's terrible logic. Because a studio wants to market a goofy horror film for a crowd that brings the Saw, Hostel, etc... market big bucks and misrepresents the film, that shouldn't discount you wanting to see it. I understand that it comes down to taste, and that's cool, but to cite advertising as a reason is stupid.

Word-of-mouth and places like Rotten Tomatoes and MetaCritic are the best places to make an informed decision before seeing a movie, not some TV spot or commercial for a film of this nature.

Wow, four people put an erroneous apostrophe in "Monsters Inc."

Unfortunate.

Good catch. I'm very disappointed in myself for doing so. Although, I will say that I wrote that out like right when I woke up today and was a bit groggy. Still unfortunate, though.

While I'm glad Sam Raimi is back to doing more "personal" (or at least quirky) films, I don't think I'll ever forgive him for Spider-Man 3. And I wasn't a fan of the first one either.

So I'm not bothered by the relatively poor reception.

I saw Drag Me To Hell. It's pretty hilarious. And disgusting.

While I'm glad Sam Raimi is back to doing more "personal" (or at least quirky) films, I don't think I'll ever forgive him for Spider-Man 3. And I wasn't a fan of the first one either.

So I'm not bothered by the relatively poor reception.

Apparently that movie was a result of crazy studio interference, but that doesn't excuse Peter's arc and how obnoxious Kirsten Dunst continues to be.

That's terrible logic. Because a studio wants to market a goofy horror film for a crowd that brings the Saw, Hostel, etc... market big bucks and misrepresents the film, that shouldn't discount you wanting to see it. I understand that it comes down to taste, and that's cool, but to cite advertising as a reason is stupid.

Word-of-mouth and places like Rotten Tomatoes and MetaCritic are the best places to make an informed decision before seeing a movie, not some TV spot or commercial for a film of this nature.

I just don't see why I should see it, for all I know it's more of the same as the advertising shows, critics are idiots a lot of the time. Maybe I'll catch it when it's on tv, but I'm not gonna pay to see it. Seriously the plot looks idiotic, if I want to see a horror film, I'll go to one that has a somewhat decent plot.

Well when a commercial shows the plot of a film and why she is cursed, I think it's a good enough to be able to decide that the plot is something I would absolutely hate.

And what I'm saying is, when you've got literally everyone who comes out of it saying "Hey, wait a second, it's legitimately funny, scary, and a bit schlocky, not at all how it's advertised," that's when you should at least take a second and look back and revisit your initial decision.

The plot is the same, yeah, but it's what's done within it that makes for a good experience. Either way, you're missing out. Go watch an Evil Dead movie.

And what I'm saying is, when you've got literally everyone who comes out of it saying "Hey, wait a second, it's legitimately funny, scary, and a bit schlocky, not at all how it's advertised," that's when you should at least take a second and look back and revisit your initial decision.

The plot is the same, yeah, but it's what's done within it that makes for a good experience. Either way, you're missing out. Go watch an Evil Dead movie.

I've seen the Evil Dead movies, good movies but honestly I'd rather watch one of those again then see Drag me to hell but that film does look funny, in an "oh my god this is terrible" type of way, but Terminator: Salvation was enough of those type of films for me for this year

Terminator's a perfect example on how to avoid a shit movie. I was so revved up for that until it actually came out.

The Hangover was pretty funny. Not too memorable, but Zach Galifiankis was way too fucking awesome.

Terminator's a perfect example on how to avoid a shit movie. I was so revved up for that until it actually came out.

The Hangover was pretty funny. Not too memorable, but Zach Galifiankis was way too fucking awesome.

I really wish I didn't see Terminator, that film was funny for all the wrong reasons. Without even getting into the plot...Christian Bale's voice is enough to put me off

I'm curious to see the Hangover though, just for the Mike Tyson part alone

Agreed. An example of a movie that was hyped to the point that it made me—not a fan of that type of fare—want to go see it just to see what the deal was.

It wasn't as funny, at least to me, as others had made it out to be, but I still laughed out loud at several parts. And the closing credits was actually my favourite part of the movie.

I love seeing comedies either in a packed theater the first weekend or wait until it hits DVD, and this one's certainly worth seeing for a steady stream of laughs throughout.

Agreed. An example of a movie that was hyped to the point that it made me—not a fan of that type of fare—want to go see it just to see what the deal was.

It wasn't as funny, at least to me, as others had made it out to be, but I still laughed out loud at several parts. And the closing credits was actually my favourite part of the movie.

And where did the hype come from? Fucking studio marketing. Got butts in the seats for the first weekend, and now they've got a hit. Success, Hollywood.

One film I'm sad I didn't see in the cinema was Twilight, then again I would of probably been killed by an army of teen girls for laughing out loud every five seconds

Why would you even want to see it in the first place? I'm all for unintentional comedy, but that's something else entirely. In 2-3 years, it'll all be over though, which is comforting.

Why would you even want to see it in the first place? I'm all for unintentional comedy, but that's something else entirely.

We were bored and knew it would be hilarious, wasn't ever expecting it to be good, it was exactly what I expected, absolutely terrible, and even funnier than I ever could of imagined. Not sure what was funnier the film or the number of MTV Movie Awards it got

I do want to know what some people think of Drag Me to Hell, it looks like a ton of fun, and Raimi for sure returning to his roots, I was definitely going to watch it on DVD but I'm considering a matinee during its run. I expected it to be what it is, a sure-fire cult movie, but never did I expect a 95% on RT, good going critics, way to lighten up once in awhile.

I do want to know what some people think of Drag Me to Hell, it looks like a ton of fun, and Raimi for sure returning to his roots, I was definitely going to watch it on DVD but I'm considering a matinee during its run. I expected it to be what it is, a sure-fire cult movie, but never did I expect a 95% on RT, good going critics, way to lighten up once in awhile.

It's worth it to see with a group of friends who have no idea what they're walking into. One of my friends came out of it loving it and I loaned him the Evil Dead series right on the spot, while the other had a decent enough time.

It totally feels like it exists in the same universe as that series, too; although it's more in line with the second film than the first. Hell, I kind of wish that there was some crossover in the works.

Speaking of Raimi:

Darkman > Spider-Man 2

Yeah, I said it. At least the former creates its own mythology, does so in a fresh and creative fashion (on a limited budget, mind you) and doesn't have a bunch of post-9/11 rah-rah NYC! NYC! USA! USA! bullshit. Plus Liam Neeson. Frances McDormand. Larry Drake. 'nuff said.

Australia

This shit feels longer than Gone With the Wind. And I still have another hour to go!

At least Hugh Jackman is pretty, which is everything I expected out of the film.

I actually enjoyed the second half of the film a lot. Actually, after the bumpy first 30 minutes I was involved.

I'm not sure posting online in the middle of the film makes for the optimum viewing experience, though.

:wink:

That's just a sure sign the movie's not holding my attention. ;)

I do tend to do that a lot, though. :reject: However, with this movie, I'm fairly comfortable that I'm not missing a lot of nuance that calls for strict attention.

The movie really wasn't that bad. Just unnecessarily long. It felt like it could have been two separate movies. One about the cattle drive, one about the war.

Um wow, I won't attack you, but Finding Nemo was tops for more from them until Ratatouille came out.

I couldn't even finish it to be honest. It was on the level of "Unbearable childish talking-animal Dreamworks horse-shit" for me. And I gave it a fair shake too, I watched about an hour of it. Aside from some impressive animation I found absolutely nothing to like. The Toy Story movies lose some points for similar reasons, especially Toy Story 2, though those films make up for it more with at least a little creativity and imagination. Aside from maybe Wall-E, I think Up was the first Pixar film to really strike a successfully functional storytelling balance between mature subtext and more kid-friendly accessible plot and humor. Really the only flaw I have with the film is the villain who is completely under-explored. Even Russell was effective, and he had one of the more powerful moments in the film when he was talking about his Pa.

Then again, I'm not really a Pixar fan. I only really like maybe half of their films, and am not in love with any of them. And they're still probably the best American animation studio. Sad.

I watched part of Titanic on tv last night. Some of the lines read by some of the actors made me cringe so hard I was afraid I'd permanently damage my facial muscles. The lines themselves, plus the way they were read... :crack:

That's just a sure sign the movie's not holding my attention. ;)

I do tend to do that a lot, though. :reject: However, with this movie, I'm fairly comfortable that I'm not missing a lot of nuance that calls for strict attention.

The movie really wasn't that bad. Just unnecessarily long. It felt like it could have been two separate movies. One about the cattle drive, one about the war.

I sing you to me, Mrs. Cori.

:sad:

nulla.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom