Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
District 9 - Aliens + apartheid symbolism + exploding humans = entertaining

District 9, whoa. I wasn't expecting all that much earlier this year, but dang if it didn't blow me away. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it couldn't make up its mind about whether it was a faux-documentary, or simply shooting in docudrama style, when the two started to blend it was distracting.

And with its reception, try and believe there won't be a District 10.

Also, we're in for a load of pop culture references to cat food in the next year or so. Be prepared.

Two movies this weekend, and I loved them both:

"It Might Get Loud", yeah it's awesome. I mean, Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White JAM! That couldn't possibly be bad. I loved how "fanboy" Jack White got while Page was playing, it was totally endearing. The Edge backstory was my favorite, naturally and I really thought they edited in the stories really well. Also, from a Q&A after the film, there is some pretty cool footage that they couldn't include that will be on the DVD including more of the jam session, so yeah, December cannot come soon enough.

District 9 was an excellent film. I thought their take on an alien "invasion" was really different and the social satire was not heavy handed. Also, the lead actor, isn't really an actor but his performance was better than most "actors" out there right now. Warning: it is gory in places, so if you are sensitive to the gore, you might not want to eat beforehand.

I loved District 9. I wish it would have been a summer kickoff movie instead of a bookend. It feels like summer is starting now.

By the way, this week's Entertainment Weekly has a fall/winter preview, and color me impressed. What a fantastic season to make up for a completely shit summer. :love:

Yeah until I looked at that spread I hadn't put it all together in my head, I was thinking there was only a few things I was looking forward to for this fall, but its shaping up to be the best in years (on paper).

Or eat during.

Hahaha, yeah I felt slightly weird about being perfectly fine and munching my popcorn and cookies during some of those scenes. My friend next to me had to keep covering her face.

I'm truly psyched for District 9, and the rest of this year could be fantastic as well. There are about 8-10 movies I'm really excited for, as opposed to the 3-4 at this time last year.

There are about 8-10 movies I'm really excited for, as opposed to the 3-4 at this time last year.

In no order:

Broken Embraces
Antichrist
An Education
The White Ribbon
A Prophet
Shutter Island
Where The Wild Things Are
The Tree of Life (...maybe)
Wild Grass
Nine
Bright Star
The Road
A Serious Man
The Informant!
The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
Ninja Assassin
Bronson
Love Exposure

Umm.... yeah.

Fantastic Mr. Fox
Shutter Island
Wild Things
The Road
Nine
The Invention of Lying
The Informant!
Dr. Parnassus
A Serious Man

are the ones that I have to see. I try to stay up-to-date on Facebook and Flixster as well.

A screener for Bronson's out floating around somewhere, Lance.

No love for The Lovely Bones? Stanley Tucci as a child rapist and murderer has me all intrigued. Plus Brent Spiner said that Mark Wahlberg is fantastic in it, and Brent is fucking Data, for fuck's sake.

I'd add my list, but it doesn't belong in this thread. Maybe it should be a new one? :hmm:

I think The Lovely Bones looks interesting enough. Something about the trailer rubbed me the wrong way though, maybe it was the 1st-person Tucci shaky cam or Marky Mark's ridiculous blonde wig. I don't know. I'd like to see it at some point, but I don't think I'll rush out the first week like I would for the ones I listed.

So, The English Patient was stunning. Thought it was a spectacular movie.

Particularly mesmerized by Juliette Binoche's performance. Damn, it was good. She had such a sympathetic way about her and she completely owned the film, for me, from her introductory scene until the very end. And, even though the Fiennes/Scott Thomas affair took up the majority of the story, I was just as satisfied and moved by the romance between Binoche and Sayid.

I saw it when it first was released,

I do remember thinking it was an excellent film in many regards.

Glad to hear it still holds up.

There just aren't many films these days (or ever, really) that have such an epic scope but also such a keen sense of the little details. Every technical aspect of this film is absolutely top-notch, all done by some of the best people in the business. And if you've read the source novel, it's just a wonder Minghella was able to adapt it into something resembling a normal film, while still retaining the poetry of the original work.

And, of course, the acting. Dafoe deserves a mention as well, and Ralph Fiennes never gets enough credit for playing under so much makeup for half the film. Binoche is the emotional hook and is perfect, Scott-Thomas is just ravishing classic glamour. And Sayid is good, even though he doesn't get to snap anyone's neck with his legs this time, though his part was greatly reduced from the novel.

Really glad you liked it, GAF. And I'm sure you realize that seeing it again after you know all the little puzzle pieces is a completely different (but equally enjoyable) experience.

Doesn't Lance still need to see this?

There just aren't many films these days (or ever, really) that have such an epic scope but also such a keen sense of the little details. Every technical aspect of this film is absolutely top-notch, all done by some of the best people in the business. And if you've read the source novel, it's just a wonder Minghella was able to adapt it into something resembling a normal film, while still retaining the poetry of the original work.

And, of course, the acting. Dafoe deserves a mention as well, and Ralph Fiennes never gets enough credit for playing under so much makeup for half the film. Binoche is the emotional hook and is perfect, Scott-Thomas is just ravishing classic glamour. And Sayid is good, even though he doesn't get to snap anyone's neck with his legs this time, though his part was greatly reduced from the novel.

Really glad you liked it, GAF. And I'm sure you realize that seeing it again after you know all the little puzzle pieces is a completely different (but equally enjoyable) experience.

Doesn't Lance still need to see this?

I don't know about your son, but I've never seen it either. Elaine Benes scared me off of it. "Elaine, I hope you're watching the clothes, because I can't take my eyes off the passion".

elaine_benes.jpg

You don't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom