Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Julie and Julia 9/10

ok , just kidding

I did see A PERFECT GETAWAY

I do agree with Ebert it is a darn good movie a solid 7.5 / 10

Hawaii never looked so good.

They did a good job throwing in a couple of Red Snappers

and the cast hit their marks, ladies were easy on the eyes - go if you want to have a good time.

Amores Perros - I saw this when it first came out but watched it again because I'm refreshing my knowledge of Mexican cinema to impress the Mexican boyfriend, and also because of, you know, Gael García Bernal :drool: . If you haven't seen it, rent it right away. It is some amazing film making and it's hard to believe it was García Bernal's first role. Really stunning all around. :up:

500 Days of Summer

If Lance doesn't blow his load to his film within the first 15 minutes, mark it zero.

Too bad it's probably one of the most perfect romantic comedies that I've ever seen.

500 Days of Summer

If Lance doesn't blow his load to his film within the first 15 minutes, mark it zero.

Too bad it's probably one of the most perfect romantic comedies that I've ever seen.

This is the kind of review I can get behind.

So would you suggest I bring a box of Kleenex?

And some extra tissues in case I get a little teary-eyed?

Marnie

This used to be shown on Sky TV once a week without fail but I never got round to watching it. Naturally, as soon as I decided to finally watch it Sky stopped showing it. C'est la vie I guess. I've caught up on everything back to the original Man Who Knew Too Much in the meantime, but this was certainly worth the wait. With psychological themes and a twisted romance played out it brings to mind both Notorious and Vertigo, two of Hitch's finest. But while this doesn't quite match the quality of those films, I think it's his best out of everything post-Psycho. Sean Connery adds enough shades to his character to distinguish him from his most famous and then current role, tuxedo or no tuxedo. His actions veer from genuine affection (I don't think love is appropriate) and concern to a curiosity that borders on detached cruelty. But this is Tippi Hedren's film and she makes sure every eye is on her. It's been so long since I saw The Birds that I don't recall her performance there, but here she is excellent as the disturbed, lying kleptomaniac. Thoughts of Grace Kelly are banished before long.

There's a lot to be said about Hitch'a work too. The style is unsettling, with painted backdrops giving the technicolor film an otherworldly sheen. I also loved the way he presents Marnie's thefts, with the soundtrack almost muted as he focuses on her features. Shame about the lazy cameo though.

Well said. Marnie has been gaining in appreciation and critical respect in recent years, and I've actually been lucky enough to see it in the theatre more than once. Visually, this film has no match among Hitch's late period films. The characterizations are rather disturbing, and like Vertigo, there isn't really a character you can fully get behind; they're all damaged.

Personally, I prefer it to Psycho, but I'm in a minority of people who think that film is totally overrated. I don't think it stands up very well to repeat viewing, and I'm just not a fan of that flat, television style.

Miami Vice - Frustratingly good and bad at the same time

A Scanner Darkly - Same as above

Barton Fink - I likes. John Goodman's character is my new role model.

Let's just say that my neighbors really should never complain about me being noisy...

Watching it again to hear all of the references to "Jesus," "Hell," and "damn" that Goodman says is fun. Cannot believe that of all of the people in the film, the studio head was nominated for Best Supporting Actor that year.

I don't know if his entire body of work is underrated, but what he does with the Coen Bros. is always top-notch.

I'd say his performance in Barton Fink is one of the best acting jobs that no one ever talks about.

There's just always been something about the guy I like. But yeah, he always nails the Coen stuff. You've also got stuff like Monsters, Inc., Revenge of the Nerds, and mothafuckin Arachnophobia. And fuck it, I liked Fallen.

Arachnophobia is the best in that bunch. Yeah, I've always liked him, too.

What Planet Are You From? is terrible, but he's awesome in it.

Dirty Work is almost too awesome. I can barely stand it.

All I'm saying is even in his lighter (maybe shittier)) fare, Goodman consistently gives funny, inventive, etc. performances. He's just extremely likable.

Of course, he's no Goldblum.

How could we resist?

jeff-goldblum-the-fly.jpg

"Help me. Please. Help me."

I hope he knew just how much he helped all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom