Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just done a Paul Rudd double feature - 'I Love You, Man' followed by 'Role MOdels' - both surpassed my admittedly low expectations. That Seann Wiliam Scott - kid has charisma - but Rudd brings it home. So smug. 'Role Models' was the better of the two IMO - 'I Love You, Man' has too many similarities to a friendship I have with one of my mates... Scary...

The Hurt Locker

Pretty fucking great. I'm not sure what else I can possibly add to the amount of praise this film's received over the past year and a half. I would point out that the sound design is mindblowing. Way more impressive than anything... probably since Miami Vice or The New World. Stunning real world sound recording and mixing, amazing foley work, and a really unique use of composed score. The film frequently blurred the diegetic sound, abstract musical pieces, and strange non-world sounds that seem to be coming from some hidden place beneath the film. Episodic as the film is, every time the film and its characters entered a new location, the sound did an astonishing job of establishing place, usually shortly before distorting itself to become its own expressive force within the scene. Just flabbergasting, really.

As for the film itself, excellent around the board. Some segments didn't really live up to the others (most notable the sequence with the Colonel who goes for the ride-along... which really didn't work for me), but it was never enough to wound the film as a whole. Some parts of the movie seemed to approach a sort of Kubrick-esque surreality, but never really went over the line, which is probably for the best. I would have liked to see a film that does cross that line though near the start, and take the Full Metal Jacket tone to a new level in this contemporary setting. But that's not this film, and I'm not suggesting it should be... just digressing.

However, I will say the film never really "wowed" me, even in latter parts in the second half where I think it really could have. Again, not necessarily any real flaw... it's just not going to be one of my very favorite films at the end of the year, most likely.

I just saw 500 Days of Summer last night. I think it can be summed up as the most perfect, wonderful chick flick ever! It still has comedy in it (very funny comedy, too). The story is so cute! Even though it's a chick flick, I think a lot of guys would like it. The soundtrack is also :drool::cute:! I recommend it to anyone who loves cute independent movies. Best movie I've seen in a long time! :up::up::up:

(and I'm not usually a chick-flick kind of person, so it MUST be good! :lol: )

Funny People

7 out of 10

Overall I liked it-the first half more than the second. It went on too long and the second half was just tiresome at times. For me the fact that it went on too long made it lose some of the emotional qualities, because it was touching. Eric Bana's character was weird-or maybe it was just his performance. I loved Adam Sandler's performance, it made me cry more than once. The funniest guy to me was Jonah Hill, he had some great deadpan lines (even though I can't remember any of them now :der: )

Adventureland

As some of you guys know, I'm pathetic and a sucker for the lead actress, so I'll admit straight away that I'd probably enjoy any movie in which she appears in virtually every scene. Like this one. But, thankfully, that wasn't the only thing that this had going for it. Good performances, a cool late 80's setting, good tunes (Pale Blue Eyes!, Unsatisfied!, Your Love!). I chuckled at a handful of smaller moments but the scene when Bill Hader chases the dude away with the baseball bat had me laughing my ass off.

Coming of age stories have been around since the dawn of time so there were some moments that felt a bit "been there, seen that" but at the end of the day Greg Mottola put together a bunch of honest observations of the lives of young kids and it worked for me. Pretty good shit. I recommend it.

Yeah, that one keeps coming back into my mind.

I think it will hold up to repeat viewings, and I'm not talking about slo-mo clips of K-Stew.

Away We Go - I liked this a lot better than friends who had seen it, maybe because I had low expectations. I'm a big Dave Eggers fan (and I like his wife Vendela Vida, too) and I thought it was smart, sweet and funny but not fantastic.

Waltz With Bashir - This has been sitting on the table for two weeks and I finally got around to watching it this week, and I watched it twice. I was pretty much blown away. I wish I'd seen it in the theater. Very original, compelling, stylish, moving - pretty much everything every review I read said it would be.

What's funny is that no one wants to man up and admit that Indy 4 is worse than The Phantom Menace. I think the nuked fridge (so bad it inspired its own catchphrase) and LaBoof swinging with the monkeys is on the awful level of Jar Jar, and the film doesn't even come close to matching Episode 1's high points (the pod race, the final duel). The whole thing, save for a note-perfect ending and a very good Harvard chase scene, is rather forgettable.

In this week, the 10th anniversary of TPM's release, can't we finally have some perspective?

0111_phantommenace.jpg

I know this is a few months late...but I'll own up.

I think Indy 4 is really horrible movie! The plot is stupid and confusing and I think they were just in it for the money (well...at the time) :sigh:

I must have missed your initial question in that post from whenever it was. Yeah, I'd say Indy 4 is probably worse than TPM. I mean, I hardly have strong enough an opinion on either of them these days to chose one over the other, but yeah... I could buy that.

And Lucas, Ford, Spielberg, and Harvey are laughing all the way to the bank.

Nickelback laughs all the way to the bank, too.

At least they have quesadillas

Yeah, but that's because those guys are mentally challenged. They laugh all the time.

Also, /Filmcast seriously has to stop talking about art films.

They need to murder Adam Quigley.

The Hollywood Saloon commentaries on the first three Indy films were a hell of a lot of fun, by the way. I can't recall any of their soundbite antics being in them either.

Adam Quigley just said Mysterious Skin has no reason to exist because he "can't imagine what anyone could get from it," only to go on to talk about how rewarding a film Requiem for a Dream is.

I face-palmed about 30 times throughout that entire episode. You could tell everyone wanted to beat his ass, too. At least Devindra did.

Hmm, also apparently 500 Days of Summer has nothing illuminating to say, and World's Greatest Dad offers an honest insight into the human condition. Color me surprised.

Wait until they talk about the Mr. Fox trailer.

Yeah, wow. I'm not sure any of them really know what they're talking about, Devindra aside as usual. However, by now I'm more or less in their camp regarding Mr. Fox. For my tastes I'm really turned off by the whole thing. Super-high-tech Coraline stop motion is bad enough for me, but this just looks terrible. And I'm never a fan of casting big recognizable actors for animated character voices.

Yeah, wow. I'm not sure any of them really know what they're talking about, Devindra aside as usual. However, by now I'm more or less in their camp regarding Mr. Fox. For my tastes I'm really turned off by the whole thing. Super-high-tech Coraline stop motion is bad enough for me, but this just looks terrible. And I'm never a fan of casting big recognizable actors for animated character voices.

Right now, I'm coasting on my love for Wes Anderson and the people involved. Clooney is the only one that seems a little out-of-place, to me, at least. The animation itself looks pretty kitsch, but I'll just reserve judgment until November.

Have any major directors like Anderson switched to animation like this though? It'll be an interesting experiment at the very least.

I managed to check out Darjeeling a couple years back, but currently I think I'll be passing on this one all together, especially because November is already such a full month with movies I actually really want to see.

Are you just lukewarm on Anderson's work overall, or dislike his recent films? I know you alluded to it with your Rian Johnson comparison, but wasn't sure what you fully meant by that.

I waver on his work, honestly. I really love The Life Aquatic (BLUM) and Tennenbaums is pretty wonderful, but I could take or leave the rest. Enjoyable flicks, but nothing particularly compelling for me personally.

P.S. Apparently Cargill loves American Gangster. 'Nuff said?

Totally cool.

I was shocked to agree with most of what Cargill had said so far, until he delivered that bomb. He then follows that up with his feelings about the Serious Man trailer that seal the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom