Random TV Talk IV: We're So Broken Inside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i really liked season one, even though i had the twist spoiled for me long before i watched it.

i tried watching season two and it all got so convoluted so quickly that it felt like work trying to follow along, so i bailed after about four or five episodes and never picked it back up. most reviews i've seen after the show ended seem to agree that it fell off a cliff in season three and never came close to being good again though, so i don't think your opinion is all that unpopular.

RIP Jerry Stiller

giphy.gif

Was there ever any discussion about THE LEFTOVERS around here? It ended three years ago but I just watched the whole series over the last couple weeks.

It's one of the most unique, moving, and all-out fucking *weird* TV shows I've ever seen. I highly recommend it. It's exceedingly unconventional. There's a recurring piano and strings motif that's stunning, the cast is great. It's also pretty fitting for the age of Covid-19, featuring a setting where the entire world has suddenly changed because of one event.

Fans of LOST (and I know this forum used to have a huuuuuge Lost following) you should check this out. Lindelof is one of the co-creators of course, and some of the ambitious episodes of Leftovers that are focused on one character are so satisfyingly reminiscent of the high points of Lost.

I just finished season 2 last week, after originally bailing on season 1 after 3 episodes (the Matt ep did me in).

Season 2 definitely clicked with me, maybe because it's not quite so bleak? Certainly less Guilty Remnant. Really enjoyed the structure of the season building all these characters towards a shared finale. Spot on with the music, great use of various versions of Pixies as a motif. Sometimes the obvious choice is the most fitting. Nora MVP.

I'm going to wait a bit before heading into season 3 to give it some room to breath, heaps of other stuff to watch too. Just finished the first season of Succession, that was a hell of a show. Veep by way of the Murdochs, caustic AF.

And a shout out to the most recent season of Better Things. Such a deceptively full on show. Frankie's Quinceañera had me on the edge of my seat for that horrible gut punch you know is coming. Loved the New Orleans sojourn and the finale was strong as ever. Got chills when a familiar string section stirred up to play over the closing moments.

Was there ever any discussion about THE LEFTOVERS around here? It ended three years ago but I just watched the whole series over the last couple weeks.

It's one of the most unique, moving, and all-out fucking *weird* TV shows I've ever seen. I highly recommend it. It's exceedingly unconventional. There's a recurring piano and strings motif that's stunning, the cast is great. It's also pretty fitting for the age of Covid-19, featuring a setting where the entire world has suddenly changed because of one event.

Fans of LOST (and I know this forum used to have a huuuuuge Lost following) you should check this out. Lindelof is one of the co-creators of course, and some of the ambitious episodes of Leftovers that are focused on one character are so satisfyingly reminiscent of the high points of Lost.

Season 1 was a bit of a slog, but when I finally caught up with S2 later on I was blown away. As you said, a really daring and moving show.

Also a bit of a gap until I saw S3 but it more than lived up to expectations, and I think it had one of the greatest, most powerful series finales I've ever seen

Margaret Qualley is hot as fuck.

And speaking of Lindelof, guy hit it out of the park again with Watchmen. He gets a lifetime pass from me.

Margaret Qualley is hot as fuck.

Yes. Yes she is. That's actually one of my biggest complaints about the show, they basically just wrote her character off. She's in literally one scene in S3. That's some bullshit. Still a great season, though.

I've been enjoying reading all the tributes to him today. You can see just how far his influence went, it's amazing to think about. And he sounded like such a wonderful person, too-so many lovely stories being shared about him.

98 years is a damn good run, too. May he rest in peace.

Some good TV news today.

Ozark has been renewed for a 14 episode final season.

and Curb Your Enthusiasm has been renewed for Season 11.

I need a new TV show to watch so bad. In quarantine I've watched the Sopranos, Deadwood, and the Leftovers and those three shows were so monumental I've had a hard time finding anything that can even come close to that feeling.

I tried Ozark and switched it off about 5 minutes into second episode. I think I just don't like Jason Bateman very much.

Watch Dark, it's the best thing on Netflix right now as far as I'm concerned. Third and final season was just released.

The Shield - top 5 all time drama for me. Starts a bit trashy, but one of the best written shows I've seen for pure plot and drama. And the single best finale of all time.
Spartacus^ - starts VERY trashy, but if you can last until the rain comes it exponentially improves.
Justified - Timothy Olyohant as a modern day Elmore Leonard cowboy. Fun.
Halt and Catch Fire - starts uncertain (again) but each season improves on the last. Once it refocuses on the female cast it takes off.

For half hours:
Superstore - feels like the true successor to The Office, bingeable.
Normal People* - I'm personally only 3/12 eps in but it's fantastic. Irish series from a couple of months back, tender and messy love story in late high school. It's also an easy GAF meme waiting to happen.
The Girlfriend Experience* - very Soderberghy, intense character studies.
Vida* - vibrant story of two Latina sisters inheriting an Eastside bar.
What We Do in the Shadows - The Office, but vampires. Funny as fuck.

* contains boobs
^ contains dongs

I need a new TV show to watch so bad. In quarantine I've watched the Sopranos, Deadwood, and the Leftovers and those three shows were so monumental I've had a hard time finding anything that can even come close to that feeling..

I just signed up for HBO Max and plan on watching Chernobyl and The Leftovers over my long weekend. Have heard good things about both.

Halt and Catch Fire - starts uncertain (again) but each season improves on the last. Once it refocuses on the female cast it takes off.

That's my recommendation too. I saw this last year and really loved it.

I just watched the new "Baby-Sitters Club" series on Netflix this past weekend. My childhood nostalgia came back full force :). It's so adorable. Would definitely recommend it for anyone who was a fan of the books and/or who has young kids who might be interested in that kind of show.

Eastbound and Down has to be one of the most emotionally confusing shows I've ever watched.

Within a single scene, I find myself completely flabbergasted by how offensive it is, nearly crying over how sad it is, and then completely losing my shit laughing.

I'm onto season 3 today. No way I get through the week without finishing this show. I never expected it to be anything other than laugh-out-loud funny, since I'd only ever seen the first episode, and knowing some of the people in my life who were fans of it back then, I just thought it was a crass comedy. I'm less surprised now by how dark Righteous Gemstones was out the gate.

Really liked the first episode of Lovecraft Country and then the second episode was...just...what the actual fuck was that?

I only saw the premiere, does ep. 2 get too over-the-top in terms of horror/action, or too weird, or...?
It's just an almost incomprehensible episode. I was thoroughly confused and thought a lot of the pacing, editing, and shifts in tone were a mess.

I'll watch next week, though, maybe I was just missing something. I still love the cast and some of the other elements of the production.

THE QUEEN'S GAMBIT has been getting a lot of hype and I'm here to say you should believe the hype. It's really fucking good.

I look forward to Netflix canceling it unnecessarily after a season ending cliffhanger in a year or two. (I would say that about any Netflix show these days, not picking on this one.)

I look forward to Netflix canceling it unnecessarily after a season ending cliffhanger in a year or two. (I would say that about any Netflix show these days, not picking on this one.)

It was a limited series and I'm pretty sure the creators have said that was the entire story. There's no plan for another season. And I think it would be for the best if that was the end. Don't drag it out. Have you seen the whole thing?

Last edited:
It was a limited series and I'm pretty sure the creators have said that was the entire story. There's no plan for another season. And I think it would be for the best if that was the end. Don't drag it out. Have you seen the whole thing?

Nope. Haven’t watched it. I didn’t know it was a limited series. That’s pretty much the only way I’ll watch Netflix anymore. Been burned too many times by great shows being unnecessarily canceled. So maybe I will!

Back
Top Bottom