Random Movie Talk XV: You Asked For It, Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will cheer if Moonlight pulls off an upset, but I'm not holding my breath.

Haven't seen Moonlight yet (if I timed my Netflix mail correctly I should get it on Tuesday), but I love a good upset. And also, I maintain that La La Land wasn't all that.

I just wanted to mention that this year I was able to see the Oscar Short films and Short Animated Films. Cinemark lied to me and did not show the documentary shorts as well, and I really need to see about getting a partial refund for that falseness, but I digress:

If you are able, please see La Femme et le TGV. It's wonderful, and really well made. I hope it wins tonight. I know that won't mean anything for its popularity, but at least it'll get some praise.

And for the animated shorts, while not nominated, the short features, "The Head Vanishes" is one of the most heart-wrenching animated films I have ever seen.

Folks, believe the hype: Get Out is the real deal. One of the best comedies I think I've ever seen, certainly one of the most subversive. And also very effective as a horror movie.

Folks, believe the hype: Get Out is the real deal. One of the best comedies I think I've ever seen, certainly one of the most subversive. And also very effective as a horror movie.
I was disappointed to find out it was a comedy. Does the humor take away from the horror at all?

It was a blast. Definitely creepy and horror on multiple levels, but also very funny. So glad my friend suggested seeing it yesterday.

And whatever, I posted yesterday that it was worth the hype but nobody noticed. I SEE HOW IT IS 'ROUND THESE PARTS.

Folks, believe the hype: Get Out is the real deal. One of the best comedies I think I've ever seen, certainly one of the most subversive.
And also very effective as a horror movie.

Oh shit yes. I saw this yesterday and it's fucking phenomenal.

Sounds like they had the Best Actress card in the envelope. Someone's gettin' fiiiiiiiireeeeeeeed.

Moonlight should have won. The LLL folks were gracious. It was by far the most interesting thing that happened that evening.

Also, I thought MBTS was a boring, pretentious Boston minstrel show complete with post-Good Will Hunting-era SNL skit level jokes about shAHks and stAHs and being retAHded that works better as parody.

Oh god no. It's intense and creepy as hell. The frequent shifts between that and the comedy are seamless.
Awesome, I'm more excited then.
Well now we can say the phrase: "Academy Award winning film Suicide Squad".
I may have had all of my favorites lose tonight, but my God, the tears of pure joy and laughter at Suicide Squad winning an Academy Award made it almost worth it.

I really want to see that movie, the commercials make it sound so interesting. Doesn't look like it's at our local theater right now, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

i actually thought at the time that warren beatty might have been having a health issue. his awkward movements and speech made it seem to me like he was really having physical difficulty either reading the card or making the announcement and was trying to hand it to faye dunaway so she could say who won. so my takeaway is that i'm relieved that he's okay and relieved that i wasn't watching someone have a stroke live on television. but what a clusterfuck that was. at least one of those two pwc employees in charge of this spent the day working on their resume.

Last edited:
i actually thought at the time that warren beatty might have been having a health issue. his awkward movements and speech made it seem to me like he was really having physical difficulty either reading the card or making the announcement and was trying to hand it to faye dunaway so she could say who won. so my takeaway is that i'm relieved that he's okay and relieved that i wasn't watching someone have a stroke live on television. but what a clusterfuck that was. at least one of those two pwc employees in charge of this spent the day working on their resume.

The one and only thing that Beatty did wrong, to me, was to not just walk over and ask someone off stage. He was clearly confused and knew something was wrong. Better safe than sorry.

But that broadcast, in general, was really fucked up. The pre-taped videos, for example, kept ending before they were finished. That's live broadcast 101, to have those things perfectly timed to their segments. And then there was also the error in the In Memoriam.

I recently did a truck broadcast prep for the first time a few weeks back. We made all of the vignettes for the NHL 100 ceremony and I'll tell you what, the company that hired us was ON their shit about timings. The people who put on the Oscars have NO excuses for not having timings down to the second. Very strange, IMO.

Also it was really such an oddly low-budget affair. Having Kimmel host, having no introduction, very modest live performances, etc. They probably spent like a quarter of what they normally do on this production.

The one and only thing that Beatty did wrong, to me, was to not just walk over and ask someone off stage. He was clearly confused and knew something was wrong. Better safe than sorry.

But that broadcast, in general, was really fucked up. The pre-taped videos, for example, kept ending before they were finished. That's live broadcast 101, to have those things perfectly timed to their segments. And then there was also the error in the In Memoriam.

I recently did a truck broadcast prep for the first time a few weeks back. We made all of the vignettes for the NHL 100 ceremony and I'll tell you what, the company that hired us was ON their shit about timings. The people who put on the Oscars have NO excuses for not having timings down to the second. Very strange, IMO.

Also it was really such an oddly low-budget affair. Having Kimmel host, having no introduction, very modest live performances, etc. They probably spent like a quarter of what they normally do on this production.

my stepdad is now a teacher of television production at the university level in my home town, but before he did that he directed a lot of live shows, like telethons, provincial parliament sessions, live "breaking news" segments, that kind of thing. i was talking to my parents today and my mom was of course talking about the mix-up, but my stepdad wouldn't shut up about how awful the broadcast was. apparently there were a lot of very basic camera switching and placement mistakes - at one point even i noticed one (there were two cameras in line and they were using the rear one, so the front camera was blocking the presenter for at least a full five-second shot before they switched away). i agree that it was a weirdly amateur affair.

and I'll tell you what

a1a30689298933a336902a4f21c98fc5_-padre-de-la-familia-hill-hank-hill-clipart_1280-1707.jpeg

my stepdad is now a teacher of television production at the university level in my home town, but before he did that he directed a lot of live shows, like telethons, provincial parliament sessions, live "breaking news" segments, that kind of thing. i was talking to my parents today and my mom was of course talking about the mix-up, but my stepdad wouldn't shut up about how awful the broadcast was. apparently there were a lot of very basic camera switching and placement mistakes - at one point even i noticed one (there were two cameras in line and they were using the rear one, so the front camera was blocking the presenter for at least a full five-second shot before they switched away). i agree that it was a weirdly amateur affair.

a1a30689298933a336902a4f21c98fc5_-padre-de-la-familia-hill-hank-hill-clipart_1280-1707.jpeg

:lmao: @ your spoiler.

Yeah, if you know what to look for, that broadcast came across as very slapdash. Glad to see I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

I couldn't wait for Manchester by the Sea to be over. Unbelievably tedious. The way everyone spoke to each other (not referring to accents) added an unconvincing, mean vibe to the whole movie which did not fit at all. (This isn't a prudish thing, I'll happily watch any decent gangster movie without batting an eyelid). No character was likeable or interesting enough (I'd even take bearable) to make me want to care. How it has scores of 96 on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, I find baffling.

Back
Top Bottom