Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2017, 02:24 AM   #141
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Well, finally saw Silence.

To speak of something like Manchester in the same sentence is insulting. Scorsese is operating on an entirely different level here, one which few, if any, American directors are capable of. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I don't know how one could fail to see the mastery, even if visually it's more restrained than what Marty usually does.

Still need to sit with this for a couple days to expound more, but it's beautiful and haunting. Essential to see this in the theatre.
Have you read his interview in Film Comment? Even the way that he discusses his choices in explicit formal terms alongside they're cinematic and theological underpinnings feels out of time from a modern American approach.

Not to take away from Lonergan/Manchester at all. I'm on Team Lance on this one -- found it deeply affecting, humane, and frank in how it views grief as not a bridge to be gulfed, but tiny steps toward connectivity.

Have any of all seen ALWAYS SHINE? It's a micro-indie that Oscilloscope dropped in theaters/VOD about a month back. Mackenzie Davis from Halt and Catch Fire is a failing actress heading to a cabin in Big Sur with her more successful gal pal. Shit gets real super quick -- think PERSONA meets PERFORMANCE.

Not too dissimilar from Alex Ross Perry's QUEEN OF EARTH from a couple years back; its director, Sophia Takal, hails from the same filmmaking collective. Though, her perspective keeps this raw as hell and not full of the dripping mascara affect that Perry throws on his picture. Queen Elisabeth Moss is very good in it though.

LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:55 AM   #142
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:26 PM
Definitely want to check out Always Shine and Queen of Earth. Female bonding subject matter is something I'm very interested in, also related to my own film I'm currently editing.

I don't really have a bad thing to say about Manchester. But as I already said, I found Julieta to be a much more interesting (thematically and aesthetically) film about grief.

lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:32 AM   #143
More 5G Than Man

Hacksaw Ridge was OK. Technically impressive and has a good-hearted (but not necessarily interesting) character at its center. Some of the war scenes were gripping too. Nothing exciting happens for about an hour and then

all of a sudden 1/3 of the cast is brutally destroyed in 15 seconds. Good old Mel Gibson.

Sadly, the editing was a headache, the protagonist was glorified as a holy Christ figure with zero flaws and the cast was largely comprised of walking, talking meat that was given just as many character traits as necessary for us

to notice when Mel Gibson slaughtered them and drank their blood, in a movie about a man who succeeds through pacifism.
So much fucking slo-mo too. Did I mention that the protagonist is perfect? At one point,

Andrew Garfield swats a grenade out of the air like he's an all-star cornerback despite there being no indication that his character has good hand-eye coordination because he's never battled anyone on account of his pacifism, and then he's lifted off a mountain on a stretcher with some clouds and a beam of light behind him so he looks like an angelic being. It's fucking stupid.

Of course it's in the top 100 on IMDb.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #144
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:26 PM
I've had Always Shine on deck for a while now. Definitely gonna get to that one sooner than later.
Lancemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:39 PM   #145
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:26 PM
Curious if anyone here has seen the Mark Duplass arthouse flick "Blue Jay". I think it had a limited theater run and is now streaming on Netflix.

It's very much like a play. Very few characters, few locations, a lot of dialogue. Duplass wrote it and stars with Sarah Paulson(of American Horror Story fame), and other then one other guy in one other scene, it's just the two of them the whole time. They were lovers in high school, and the film starts as they run into each other, decades later, while both visiting their hometown. They end up spending the day together, mostly in his deceased mother's house(he's in town to clean the house out), catching up and recounting their youth, and after an awkward start it's clear they still love each other. So the question hanging over the whole film is why they ever broke up, and the answer doesn't come until the end.

I really really liked it. I'm a fan of Duplass's stuff in general, I think he's great at writing intimate, understated adult dramady, something you don't see that much of. But this film was really well written and acted.

I highly recommend it.
namkcuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:56 PM   #146
Blue Crack Supplier

I finally saw Silence just now.

I thought I saw some chatter earlier in this thread about this film and Manchester by the Sea....I either misread or am just confused about the connectivity.

I found Manchester by the Sea to be affecting and surprisingly funny, but, yeah, Silence....

I have shared this lament here before but I just lack the ability to deconstruct film or TV the way some of you are able to, or critics do. I basically know what I like, and why. So I say shit like "Silence was a powerful cinematic experience" and that's exactly how I feel, but that's also vague as shit. But, I mean, I read the book, I'm not a Christian or even a person of faith, and yet it all still really impacted me and I guess I'm sorting some of it as I type this. And of course, as a major fan of Scorsese's, it's gratifying to see him be able to produce such a film so far along into his life/career. I wish I had more to say other than it was one of those films, for me, that was so wholly engrossing that at some point in my head it almost ceased to be a film and more felt like I was witness to this all.
No spoken words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:21 PM   #147
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:26 PM
wrong thread
U2inUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:35 PM   #148
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I wish I had more to say other than it was one of those films, for me, that was so wholly engrossing that at some point in my head it almost ceased to be a film and more felt like I was witness to this all.
Very eloquently put, and I had a similar experience. I'm not sure I've processed it all yet.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #149
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I'm not a Christian.
Does laz know this?
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:43 PM   #150
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
We almost went last week, but it was a Tuesday night, and the run time was a bit long for a worknight for me, so that was when we saw 20th Century Women instead (I didn't comment on that one, but boy do I love love love love it).
I loved it too. It's been a long time since I've seen a movie with characters as well developed as this one. There was a lot of attention and love by Mike Mills in writing every one of them and making them so human. And the music. I've been on a Talking Heads kick since watching it yesterday. The Big Country is such a great song.

The clitoral stimulation conversation is one of the best scenes of the year.
gump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #151
Blue Crack Distributor

Watched Florence Foster Jenkins this weekend. I wasn't expecting greatness, so enjoyed it fine. I wanted to see it immediately when I heard they were making a movie out of this. Heard about the story in college, from a music professor.

Meryl Streep should get another Oscar just for the singing. It's hard to sing that off key when you're actually a decent singer.
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:06 PM   #152
Blue Crack Supplier

I watched Montage of Heck as well as Oasis: Supersonic over the weekend. I'm not a major Oasis fan (I enjoy the first two albums to a certain extent) but I find their story pretty interesting, and Noel cracks me up, even now. The brothers were/are often insufferable but the odds of a meteoric rise like that are infinitesimal - and there was a lot of great footage from their early days.

As for the Cobain doc, I mean, it certainly posed more questions than it really answers but I thought the combination of the footage, the sound collages and the animation was captivating to say the least. And it was pretty fair overall; it seemed to me to present his strengths and a lot of the warts, too - it was not a smear job nor worshipful. I cannot remember watching a doc like this and feeling like I knew the person way more intimately than prior to. I have nothing specific to say/add that a million people have not said before as it pertains to Cobain himself, so I'll just add that the last 15 minutes or so were just so fucking sad.....and perhaps infuriating too. I

It is also very difficult to process, for me, that his death occurred almost 23 years ago.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #153
Refugee

Oscar nominations are out:

http://www.avclub.com/article/here-a...-awards-248928

Hopefully this will get Hell or High Water back in theaters. I missed it last year.

I also just saw Arrival, which is definitely a new favorite that I'll want to watch again for years to come. Next up, La La Land.
Joey788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #154
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Meryl Streep should get another Oscar just for the singing. It's hard to sing that off key when you're actually a decent singer.
Fuck, I wasn't serious! I wouldn't have picked her for a nom this year.
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:19 PM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Random Movie Talk XV: You Asked For It, Cobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Fuck, I wasn't serious! I wouldn't have picked her for a nom this year.

She will always be nominated when the opportunity presents itself. Haven't seen the movie so can't judge. Many had predicted Amy Adams for that slot in what would have been her 6th nomination.

Hell or High Water is awesome. My favorite so far but I have only seen that, Hacksaw, and Arrival for best picture noms.

I like that there are 9 nominations meaning there were enough first place votes for each film.

Quite a comeback for Mel. Hacksaw Ridge is such a powerful dichotomy of a statement on war and anti-war values.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Oregoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:21 AM   #156
Blue Crack Supplier

Silence with only one nomination is a travesty, a slap in the face of America's greatest cinema artist.

Whatever.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #157
Blue Crack Supplier

You'd think that with my love of film combined with my living the bulk of my adult life in LA and having friends in the industry that I'd give a shit about the Oscars or whatnot, but, I literally could not care less and cannot recall the last time I watched. Not saying that I don't understand why people do pay attention, I of course understand that.....but for me, it just does not matter. Not sure why.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #158
Blue Crack Supplier

Maybe you're dead inside?
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:09 PM   #159
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
You'd think that with my love of film combined with my living the bulk of my adult life in LA and having friends in the industry that I'd give a shit about the Oscars or whatnot, but, I figuratively could not care less and cannot recall the last time I watched. Not saying that I don't understand why people do pay attention, I of course understand that.....but for me, it just does not matter. Not sure why.
Ditto! I've grown more and more disconnected from the Oscars with every passing year, and often can't bother to watch it these days.

That said, I'll be mildly annoyed for a few minutes if La La Land wins over Moonight.
gump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:16 PM   #160
Blue Crack Supplier

Considering Moonlight is about gay black men and has an unconventional structure, it's a miracle it has gone this far with mainstream awards (as well as its box office success). I hate to say its advocates (I consider myself a moderate one) should be happy with what they have, but it should still win a couple awards and it's a major triumph whatever happens.

But despite whatever shortcomings it may have in the script department (the one category I really hope it loses), La La Land is a breath of fresh air, is very well directed. and I appreciate the nods to classic musicals both American and French. So I'm certainly happy for its success.