Random Movie Talk XV: You Asked For It, Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting read on Chevy Chase. I imagine all the shit is bluster from a hurt man. Geez the world was good during the first two seasons of Community.

I also reckon that, as a 70yo, it must be fucking scary, knowing you're so much closer to the end, and seeing how far you are from your glory days.

Chevy Chase Can't Change

i'm looking forward to 2020 in film, aka "here's one for the 90s kids"

new bad boys (though it looks shitty from the trailer)
new top gun
new legally blonde
new coming to america
new bill & ted

Here are my thoughts on some recent movies I have watched:

Knives Out- 7/10 it’s a fun movie with some twists and Daniel Craig is really good in it. It does drag in parts but a fun movie

Parasite- 8/10 it’s a very cool movie and well crafted with some really cool twists to it. Now, I don’t like subtitles but I also don’t speak Korean so...reading subtitles for 2 hours was a pain but my rating is on the story as a whole...well done!

1917 - 7/10 not a lot of “action” but a cool “journey” for the characters. Cinematography was very well done and many parts were very suspenseful.

Ford vs Ferrari- 6.5/10 cool movie and it’s based on true events, which I always think it cool. Matt Damon and Bale were both very good in it. Was a bit boring in parts for sure but solid movie.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood- 7.5/10 Brad Pitt and Leo were gold in this. Another movie based on true events and the ending caught me...so that was the best part (the flamethrower...hahahahah). This too was slow in parts but I enjoyed it

The Rise of Skywalker- 5/10 this was a shit show for reasons many have called out in the other thread. This rating might go down further as time goes on because it’s really all over the place. I liked The Force Awakens and thought it was a good start but hated The Last Jedi and while Rise has some cool moments, it feels like it has almost no connection to the previous two movies. We did get Babu Frik out of it, so that was a win

I’m going to try and watch Uncut Gems soon because I like Adam and heard both he and the movie were really good.

There are so many movies you're missing out on if you avoid anything with subtitles.

Parsite is brilliant and it's nice to see people who don't see many non-English films checking it out and enjoying it.

And last night it won the Screen Actors' Guild award for Best Ensemble Cast, beating out some big names. First time this award has gone to a foreign language film. And well-deserved, they were perfectly calibrated.

That's fucking awesome. Somehow this is the first I'm hearing about that.

Fucking irritates the shit out of me that none of the cast was nominated for the Oscars. Their bias against Asian peoples infuriates me.

Jessica and Mrs. Park are both very fine.

Happy for the cast and crew of Parasite for their surprise win.

That's fucking awesome. Somehow this is the first I'm hearing about that.

Fucking irritates the shit out of me that none of the cast was nominated for the Oscars. Their bias against Asian peoples infuriates me.

Best summary of how Hollywood sees non-US movies: Bong Joon-Ho was asked on the Red Carpet why he decided to do this movie in Korean.

[TWEET]1226673457779400704[/TWEET]

So finally watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this afternoon. Wish I had seen it in a theater as I really enjoyed the look of it, excellent transformation of Hollywood to 50 years ago with all the marquees and the cars etc.
And as many have mentioned, the finale was fantastic. Luckily somehow hadn't heard anything about it so the twist came as a very enjoyable surprise.

I still can't believe how I reacted to that movie. I don't remember if I posted about it here, but I came home and cried like a baby about it.

I'm way more emotional in these post-parenthood days.

Someone on my Facebook wrote "Name your favorite Robin Williams movie" and the first three responses were Jack. I'm going to bed.

Dead Poets Society for me.

For bands, I think it’s uncommon to have Favourite Worst Nightmare as the best Arctic Monkeys or Houses Of The Holy as the best Led Zeppelin.

Jack?
Geez.

Good Will Hunting I'd say.
I was pretty blown away.

My favorite film of his is Dead Poet's Society, I think. But I made this list after he passed:

Dead Poets Society

Mrs. Doubtfire

Good Morning, Vietnam

Hook

Jumanji

Good Will Hunting

The Fisher King

Jakob the Liar

Insomnia

The Birdcage

I think I'd have The Birdcage higher now.

Its a pretty impressive list of movies and performances, could add in the likes of Patch Adams and One Hour Photo, and then how on earth anyone picks Jack as the top is crazy.
For a guy who cut his teeth in the comedy realm and was introduced to the world as Mork, he became quite the dramatic actor. Especially impressed with his ability to play a psycho type like in Insomnia and One Hour Photo.
Was able to see him do stand up live once (somewhere around '99 or 2000 I think, will have to dig up the ticket stub) and he was as maniacal and hilarious as you'd expect.
Very sad loss when he passed.

I don't know why I always ignore One Hour Photo. I catch myself thinking that was a crap film all the time, but I remember I actually liking it when I saw it. I think I must have been at an age where I felt deeply disturbed by the idea of him playing such a character that my brain blocked out the fact it was good.

I mean its certainly not his best, but its a pretty good performance. Released same year as Insomnia, so that was a good year for Robin doing psychotic characters.

I remember at the time I was somehow like personally affronted by the idea he was playing killers.... I do some really stupid mental gymnastics sometimes.

So, one of my friend's favorite movie is Freaked and I've had it on my to-do list to watch it for months.

The day has come.

WTF.

I just keep describing it as 1) The most 90s film I've ever seen and 2) What would happen if Grunge had directed a film.

It's got the sort of silly vibe of say, "Better off Dead" but it's GROSS. Just super gross.

Back
Top Bottom