Random Movie Talk XV: You Asked For It, Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was a lot of fun. Enjoyed watching them jump from planet to planet and interact with each other and Thanos was a good villain.

I got really annoyed because there were a ton of times they could have stopped Thanos at different points in the movie, but characters would be really stupid or underpowered to keep the plot going. But hey, plot contrivances are common in action movies, just gotta roll with it.

Last edited:
It was a lot of fun. Enjoyed watching them jump from planet to planet and interact with each other and Thanos was a good villain.

I got really annoyed because there were a ton of times they could have stopped Thanos at different points in the movie, but characters would be really stupid or underpowered to keep the plot going. But hey, plot contrivances are common in action movies, just gotta roll with it.

That bothered me, too. It was also a little bit ridiculous that no matter what they hit him with, Thanos was always totally unharmed, until Iron Man finally made a tiny scratch with a gigantic punch to the face that was identical to all the other gigantic punches to the face Thanos had been getting for the entire movie. Oh well, it's a small complaint.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie, but the ending was a downer. Did they already make Part 2? I've seen people say that it's coming out in a year.

What do you guys think of Drax? He is my favorite.

Drax is the only Guardian that I like. He was especially good in this movie. :up:

Mantis in this movie just about killed me when she put on her "war face".

Also, Rachel,
his skin is practically impenetrable, that's why he only took incredibly minor damage after a ton of offense. It's why Thor had to have a special weapon built to hurt him at all.

I was pretty stunned by the ending, especially
Spider Man dying
Really didn't see that coming.

Overall a lot of fun and left the audience sitting in silence during the credits.

Last edited:
Have you seen other Ghibli films? I'm willing to say that's actually in the bottom half of their catalogue, beautiful as it is.

Spirited Away is my favorite, and then it gets harder to say. Probably Pom Poko is my second favorite if I'm being totally honest. Only Yesterday, Castle in the Sky, When Marie was There, Mononoke and Princess Kaguya are all pretty incredible.

The only film of theirs I even remotely dislike is Ponyo and that's simply because it was too silly. If I'd seen it as a child I'd probably feel much differently.

I'll do a top 10:

1. Princess Mononoke
2. The Wind Rises
3. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
4. Spirited Away
5. Only Yesterday
6. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
7. Castle in the Sky
8. Grave of the Fireflies
9. When Marine Was There
10. Kiki's Delivery Service

All of these movies are great. There's a bit of a dropoff after this, but I haven't seen a bad Ghibli film yet (Cat Returns, My Neighbors, Earthsea, Poppy Hill are what's left for me).

Last edited:
1-10

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
My Neighbour Totoro
Porco Rosso
Castle in the Sky
Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service
When Marnie Was There
My Neighbours the Yamadas
Howl's Moving Castle
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

I only saw Grave of the Fireflies once a long while ago, so can't rate it. Pom Poko is dead last.

I'm way overdue for a rewatch of Pom Poko but remember liking it. I'm also a big fan of Miyazaki Jr's Earthsea film, though it's not a faithful adaptation. Some really gorgeous imagery and it's one of the more epic Ghibli films. His second effort, Poppy Hill, is more solid as a piece of storytelling, if not as ambitious. Totoro is something I admire, but I just love most of the other Miyazaki Senior films more. Same with Ponyo as I think the animation is beautiful but the story didn't do it for me so much.

1. Spirited Away (greatest animated film of all time)
2. Nausicaä
3. Mononoke
4. Grave of the Fireflies
5. The Wind Rises
6. Only Yesterday
7. Princess Kaguya
8. Porco Rosso
9. When Marnie Was There
10. Castle in the Sky

It was my first Ghibli, yeah. I was a real sucker for the cute forest spirits. And though it was short I just found it to be a very warm and wholesome story. A sense of wonder. I'm sure I'll be watching more soon.

I’ll always rank Totoro very highly because I watched the shit out of it on vhs when I was a kid and that always prevents me from admitting Spirited Away is better.

Spirited Away is better though.

spirited-away-620x310.jpg

I'll never get this image out of my head. The whole train sequence, really. Absolute magic.

Honestly if I had to make a list of the greatest living filmmakers, Miyazaki would be near the top. He doesn't have as extensive a filmography as someone like Scorsese, but when you consider how long it takes to make one of his films, I think it's very impressive. He hasn't made a film that's not at least very good; The Castle of Cagliostro doesn't have the artistry of later works but it's still pretty damned entertaining.

It's the layers to his films, for me. There's so much cultural material in Spirited Away we spent a week on it in my Japanese class and I'm STILL learning stuff about it now that we didn't cover.

Yeah I realize that even as a big fan I’m missing a lot of the symbolism and cultural references. I do have a nice hardcover book about the art of the film which explains some things but it doesn’t go in much depth on that front.

I’d love to visit the Ghibli museum one day, and hopefully the upcoming theme park as well. I can only imagine how hard it will be to get into the latter once it finally opens.

spirited-away-620x310.jpg

I'll never get this image out of my head. The whole train sequence, really. Absolute magic.

This looks scary. Is it a scary film?

Also, for some reason, when I was discussing Ghibli the other day and my friend brought up Spirited Away, and I was like "oh the horse one?" And they were like uhhh, what. And I've realised I've had it confused with this haha

220px-Spirit_Stallion_of_the_Cimarron_poster.jpg

they should have cast brett favre as deadpool and saved a shit load on makeup.

i really liked the drawing during the credits where he was shooting nazis. more of that in the next movie please.

If anyone likes to get the bjesus scared out of them I highly recommend Hereditary. Toni Collette is incredible, the cinematography is beautiful and it is one of the most disturbing movies I have seen in years. My wife is much more of a horror movie fan than I am and even she was creeped out by it.

Sweet! By the way, it will take some getting used to all these big name productions and big name filmmaker projects coming directly to Netflix now. This Coen Bros movie and also the new Alfonso Cuaron movie, etc.

I don't necessarily have a problem with these movies coming out on Netflix, it's just kinda weird.

Back
Top Bottom