Random Movie Talk XV: You Asked For It, Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Easily his worst film. I'm bewildered by its defenders, many of whom like to talk about how Nabokov wrote the script. As if being a brilliant novelist makes you a great screenwriter, or that scripts emerge intact in the finished film.

Regardless, I blame Kubrick alone for focusing on the black comedy and losing all the pathos and tragedy of the novel. And for letting Peter Sellers just run amok with no leash (what worked in Dr. Strangelove definitely does not here).

As cinema it's nothing special, either.

If you want to see its antithesis, I highly recommend Adrian Lyne's 1997 adaptation, which definitely suffers from not enough humor, but really nails the poignancy of the source material. Jeremy Irons is fantastic, and the girl playing Lolita is really great as well. Shamefully it was prevented from a theatrical release (ridiculous that this puritanism was still happening in the late 90s), but it has many defenders. Gorgeous photography and a Morricone score.

Here's a recent write-up from when it played here in L.A. at Tarantino's revival theatre:

Adrian Lyne’s Lolita | New Beverly Cinema

Last year I listened to the audiobook narrated by Jeremy Irons. I was trying to put a large gap between the book and his performance, because it almost seemed too redundant to watch the film so soon afterwards, but after seeing that trainwreck of a movie, I'm thinking I might have to speed up the time-table.

This is terrible, since it's a movie I really like, but what's that old French film that was the comedy with the two prison escapees that end up working in a factory and one of them gets rich and I can't remember all of the plot details, I just know it was similar in feel to Modern Times and I love it and I want to recommend it to someone. Any help?

Saw Logan recently. It was pretty badass. I think it was Jackman's best performance of Wolverine. Thank goodness for that R Rating. :wink:

I enjoyed ALIEN: COVENANT, especially the second half. It keeps building and building, sometimes slowly, but eventually hits some seriously satisfying notes. Especially for fans of the first two movies in the Alien franchise, as many many people are.

I enjoyed ALIEN: COVENANT, especially the second half. It keeps building and building, sometimes slowly, but eventually hits some seriously satisfying notes. Especially for fans of the first two movies in the Alien franchise, as many many people are.

Might check it out. I like Prometheus, and obviously, the first two Aliens so perhaps that trilogy will expand to a quartet for me. Only problem is that the trailer looked really redundant of the first two films.

Anything else with the name "Alien" in the title was godawful. There was an article on Slant the other day about how the third film is basically when Hollywood began having boardrooms basically cobble together films and started producing blockbusters just to make a release date.

RIP Stephen Furst.

"Hey Niedermayer..."

"I can't believe I threw up in front of Dean Wormer"

"The negroes stole our dates"

Last edited:
Who's seen Sausage Party? Thought it was hilarious and a great send-up of Pixar et al. Crosses the line a few times (the rape scene omg) and the stereotypes are a bit boring, but overall I loved it. The violence is so good, the bath salts shit hilarious, and an unexpected commentary on Palestinian-Israeli relations.

Thought it was terrible. Didn't laugh once, though I might have smiled a couple of times. 50% of the humor was dumb food puns and the other 50% was edgy shit that's only meant to be funny because animated food was doing it. The plot was garbage and most of the characters were tropes or stereotypes dressed up as talking food. Don't even get me started on the posts from r/atheism that they slapped on there to give the movie depth while badly screwing up the tone.

I really wanted to like it though. Animation is a huge part of my life and I'm always rooting for something new and different. Plus, I like Seth Rogen more often than not, but I almost turned off Sausage Party after 15 minutes. I'm in the minority though: it got solid reviews and a lot of people wanted a sequel.

Last edited:
Thought it was terrible. Didn't laugh once, though I might have smiled a couple of times. 50% of the humor was dumb food puns and the other 50% was edgy shit that's only meant to be funny because animated food was doing it. The plot was garbage and most of the characters were tropes or stereotypes dressed up as talking food. Don't even get me started on the posts from r/atheism that they slapped on there to give the movie depth while badly screwing up the tone.

I really wanted to like it though. Animation is a huge part of my life and I'm always rooting for something new and different. Plus, I like Seth Rogen more often than not, but I almost turned off Sausage Party after 15 minutes. I'm in the minority though: it got solid reviews and a lot of people wanted a sequel.

I did turn it off 15 minutes in. Or maybe 20. Either way, I couldn't watch that steaming pile of dog shit in its entirety.

So, did everyone see that Daniel Day-Lewis announced his retirement from acting a few days ago? It was kind of weird. His people put out a statement saying that he is retiring, no reason given, and that neither he nor his representatives would be making any further comment.

Unusual, but then DDL is unusual.

I saw Spider-Man: Homecoming last week and thought it was great fun, up there with the very best MCU movies, but Baby Driver came through and knocked it on its ass. What a fucking awesome time at the theaters THAT shit is. Edgar Wright is a beast.

After that Brighton Rock scene, I knew I had to recommend this one to Cobbler. Go see it, in theaters. No regrets.

Last edited:
I'm wanting to check out The Beguiled, Spider-Man, Valerian, Dunkirk, and The Big Sick.

Saw Baby Driver and liked it. The waitress was very cute but I thought it would have been great if she had left his ass at the end. "Ummm, you're a super dangerous criminal and we've been on like two dates. It's not gonna work."

Last edited:
You know who's really hot? Sean Young in BLADE RUNNER.

Unlike her costar in Blade Runner, though, she may not be getting younger with age.

Would-You-Believe-That-Sean-Young-Still-Wants-To-Be-Catwoman.jpg

Back
Top Bottom