Random Movie Talk, Louis the XIVth Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Room posted about that on Facebook yesterday. I will of course take this opportunity to repeat how much I hate this whole "this movie's awful, time to throw bucketloads of money at it" trend. Troll 2 got a movie made about it as well.

Man, it kinda makes me not want to try to make good movies and just attempt to make the worst thing possible so I can 1) Relase it 2) Attain cult classic status 3) Write a book about how awful it was and 4) Get that book turned into a movie.

Fucking genius.

I will never watch this film. Life is to short to endorse talentless trash, I don't care if one does so "ironically". That this guy is raking in a lot of money when talented filmmakers of small indies can't get their stuff to audiences is obscene.

There's a persistence of vision in The Room that regardless of its degree of silliness or the frustrating mocking approach to digging it does exist. That to me qualifies it as something apart from your run-of-the-mill cheap terrible piece of shit.

I proudly enjoy loving it because it's a beguiling experience. As far as the adaptation of Sestero's book and it's overall following, you can't control the way in which folks enjoy it -- either unabashedly or ironically. It's why I hate the MST3K'ing of movies or folks who go into things looking to pick knits with technical things they don't fucking know how to do themselves.

I don't know where I'm going with this at this point. The Room holds a special place in my heart.

Can you check the grammar on that for me, cobbler?

I've got Impy to thank for first showing clips of this back in '08, maybe '09. I arranged screenings for my friends before getting it programmed at the theater I worked at a couple years later.

The cinema down the road from my place does monthly showings. I've been to two of them, it's a blast. People throwing footballs in the aisles, spoons at the screens, etc.

The Room is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, that's all I know. It doesn't really matter how the shittiness came to be, so I try to avoid all of the supplementary making-of material. Let the magic stay magical.

Fair call! I don't expect this will be met with much excitement, but if people are down we should all watch it and post here. The whole film is on YouTube. Me and Bonnie did it once, was fucking fun.

I never said I don't enjoy the Room. It's hilariously awful. But I hate myself for liking it.

Wind Rises is playing in Chicago.

Might finally be seeing my first Miyazaki on the big screen.

It's going to depend when I get off work tomorrow. I'm supposed to get off AT 1:30, which is the same time the train leaves. But, they suggested I might get to leave early tomorrow. If I miss the 1:30, I'm stuck in Chicago until 4:48 and the subtitled movie starts at 1:40. I'm assuming the film is short enough that I'd make my train with no problem.

Ugh, I just realized I'm not gonna make the movie no matter what I do. The theaters further away than I realized and I'm not spending cab money to get over to it. I'll be 20 minutes late taking the cta.

I think I'm going to go next saturday, hoping the showtimes don't change too much. Really want to be able to see it subbed.

It's playing at like 10 more theaters next weekend, but I don't see any other theaters listening a subbed showing.

There a theater closer to us that tends to pick up movies like this after a few weeks. I suspect if it pulls out the Oscar (it probably won't) they may end up getting it, but I was really hoping to see it before the awards.

It's playing at like 10 more theaters next weekend, but I don't see any other theaters listening a subbed showing.

The Century Centre Cinema will probably still be showing it, just have to wait a bit for the showtimes to update.

I wanted to go, but today really wasn't convenient. Maybe next weekend.

I watched Captain Phillips last night. I thought it was much better than Gravity, which I saw about a week prior.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 because the Nexus 5 just wasn't big enough.

I was surprised by all of the awards attention for Captain Philips. It's better than most Hollywood hostage movies, but not THAT much better. The theater experience helped it a lot.

Last edited:
I was surprised by all of the awards attention for Captain Philips. It's better than most Hollywood hostage movies, but not THAT much better. The theater experience helped it a lot.

Yeah it want revolutionary or anything. What I liked the most is that the film made me have a very slight sympathy for the Pirates, well except for the one that was all about the violence.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 because the Nexus 5 just wasn't big enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom