Random Movie Talk, Louis the XIVth Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you could have engaged with the several lengthier posts by LMP and myself in here about it following your initial remarks, so I guess...?

About Inception? From what I could tell, the discussion very quickly gravitated toward Nolan's deficiencies as a director, which is not a topic I brought up nor especially had an interest in discussing. The only post I didn't respond to that pertained to the film specifically was your first post from over a day ago, which was a self-contained opinion that didn't necessitate a dialogue at the time.

Last edited:
I don't mind disagreeing, but I do take issue with you calling into question my way of viewing things for the second time in a week.

Huh. I guess reading the Inception thread a second time was necessary to understanding that remark.

The "over analyze" comment was a reference to your argument with Lila in that thread, which was tucked away in the pages NSW and Laz linked to. It was just there to make you laugh. I felt she and I had both done a really piss poor job explaining our opinions about Inception, so I made a wise crack about it and moved on.

And then, just to make sure you got that I was on your side, I proceeded in the very next post to say that no one way of viewing movies is the right one. If it were necessary for all of us to approach movies the same way before engaging in a discussion, this section would be completely dead.

Last edited:
About Inception? From what I could tell, the discussion very quickly gravitated toward Nolan's deficiencies as a director, which is not a topic I brought up nor especially had an interest in discussing. The only post I didn't respond to that pertained to the film specifically was your first post from over a day ago, which was a self-contained opinion that didn't necessitate a dialogue at the time.

Fair enough. Was just a tad disappointed to see what discssion there was drop off so unceremoniously.

Fair enough. Was just a tad disappointed to see what discssion there was drop off so unceremoniously.

Just speaking for myself here, I have a more difficult time jumping into a conversation about a film I haven't seen in a while because I lose a lot of the details that are useful in substantiating my opinions. It's been at least three years since I've seen Inception, so beyond offering my initial impression, it's easier for me to smile and nod.

Meanwhile, I can discuss American Hustle and Goodfellas for pages on end because I've seen them both in the last four months.

Huh. I guess reading the Inception thread a second time was necessary to understanding that remark.

The "over analyze" comment was a reference to your argument with Lila in that thread, which was tucked away in the pages NSW and Laz linked to. It was just there to make you laugh. I felt she and I had both done a really piss poor job explaining our opinions about Inception, so I made a wise crack about it and moved on.

And then, just to make sure you got that I was on your side, I proceeded in the very next post to say that no one way of viewing movies is the right one. If it were necessary for all of us to approach movies the same way before engaging in a discussion, this section would be completely dead.

I didn't go back to that thread so the reference was lost on me. My mistake.

Just watched the trailer for this:

Draft Day (2014) - IMDb

Looks like it could be a lot of fun. Note the director (who I realize has been off his game for quite a long time).

EDIT: HAHAHAHA! I saw he had an upcoming film called Triplets and I thought to myself, "No...it...it couldn't be..."

But it IS: Ladies and gentlemen...the sequel you've all been waiting for. Triplets - IMDb

What's Reitman's last watchable movie? Kindergarten Cop? Did I just type those last two sentences?

Saw a trailer for that tonight. Looks like the most nothing movie ever. Unfunny, boring indistinct nothingness.

Anybody else see Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom yet? I enjoyed it, although I felt it dealt more with his personal/love life then It needed to maybe..

One thing that struck me as the credits rolled when considering how great the soundtrack is, was that there isn't a single track by Johnny Clegg included. I found that strange, I mean it just feels so obvious that he would be involved, but maybe that's why..too obvious or something. :shrug:

A day full of Cage takeaways:

Vampire's Kiss is hysterical. Leaving Las Vegas is best left as a footnote. Fire Birds digs deep in the Cage catalog, but unearths a Top Gun-esque drug war jam with a stellar Tommy Lee Jones performance. Con Air sucks. Raising Arizona is perfect.

:down:

Towering performance by Cage. That scene where he struggles to endorse the check at the bank alone is a high point of his career.

He's incredible, no question.

I couldn't get past the aggressively stylized direction and endless use of the same 3 Sting songs to hammer the audience's feelings down every 5 seconds. The best moments let Cage be Cage and engage in moments of brutal honesty with Elizabeth Shue. Hell, it's more her picture than it is his.

I'm just baffled by the fact that you could sit through multiple movies with Nicholas Cage in them and not kill yourself.

I legitimately loved Nic Cage for most of my life... And then a few years ago, I started to stray from the "safe" movies, just in time to really jump on the Internet bandwagon of insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom