Random Movie Talk, Louis the XIVth Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha. The Election films aren't nearly my favorite even. So brilliant is To. One of the worlds greatest. Blind Detective encapsulate sooo many genres and tones, it's almost a career-summing work, but not self-consciously. Have you seen Exiled? Maybe my favorite of his. He tends to go back and forth between romantic comedies and action films, great at both. Check out My Left Eye Sees Ghosts, The Mission, PTU, Sparrow, Breaking News, Needing You, Don't Go Breaking My Heart

Only Election and Drug War for me thus far. Alongside Jodorowsky, John Waters, Weerasthakul, Von Sternberg, Dreyer, Fassbinder, Campion, Röhmer, Denis, and Wong Kar-Wai, To is one of my biggest directorial blind spots. Some silly shit, for sure. Devoting 2014 to a lot of the more intellectual fare that I've been hesitant to approach.

Holy shit, I hadn't seen any of Paolo Sorrentino's work before, but The Great Beauty is one of the best films of the last few years.

Blown away.

Only Election and Drug War for me thus far. Alongside Jodorowsky, John Waters, Weerasthakul, Von Sternberg, Dreyer, Fassbinder, Campion, Röhmer, Denis, and Wong Kar-Wai, To is one of my biggest directorial blind spots. Some silly shit, for sure. Devoting 2014 to a lot of the more intellectual fare that I've been hesitant to approach.

Denis, Rohmer, Weerasethakul, Sternberg! You're in for some great stuff. All of the above are fantastic, except I'm not as familiar with Jodorowsky as I should be. Have you seen much/any Kiarostami? Best filmmaker in the world right now... by like a lot, I.M.VeryH.O. of course.

Denis, Rohmer, Weerasethakul, Sternberg! You're in for some great stuff. All of the above are fantastic, except I'm not as familiar with Jodorowsky as I should be. Have you seen much/any Kiarostami? Best filmmaker in the world right now... by like a lot, I.M.VeryH.O. of course.

Nah, though Close-Up and Certified Copy have been near the top of the list for me for quite some time.

Other folks I forgot to mention: Hark, Sayles (who I saw tonight while getting out of work before his intro/Q&A for Go for Sisters), Boetticher, Sirk, Frank Henenlotter, Larry Cohen, Chabrol, Vigo, Rivette, Resnais, Assayas, Buster fucking Keaton.

A bulk of the hesitation has been fatigue at this point. Gathering lists and information about what to watch tires me out; it's the same attitude I had toward mandatory reading in school. Except now, I'm only enrolled in the School of Hard Knocks. Having a ridiculous amount of rental and repertory options guides it to a degree, but I'd like to focus more on clearly articulating points either for the purpose of writing or programming.

In case you're interested, this is "the list:" Top of the "Watchlist", a list of films by Jake • Letterboxd

Nah, though Close-Up and Certified Copy have been near the top of the list for me for quite some time.

In case you're interested, this is "the list:" Top of the "Watchlist", a list of films by Jake • Letterboxd

Close-Up is perfect place to start. In addition to those two prioritize the Koker trilogy, Taste of Cherry, and Ten for a wide view of his work. Jafar Panahi's two best films shot from Kiarstami scripts too, Crimson Gold and The White Balloon.

Fun list, wrt Sirk have you seen Written on the Wind or Imitation of Life?

Larry Cohen??

Black Caesar, The Stuff, Q: The Winged Serpent, It's Alive, God Told Me To all sounds nuts and fantastic. Plus, he wrote/produced the Maniac Cop series; the second flick of that bunch may be the most brutal and nihilistic slasher I've seen in quite some time.

Close-Up is perfect place to start. In addition to those two prioritize the Koker trilogy, Taste of Cherry, and Ten for a wide view of his work. Jafar Panahi's two best films shot from Kiarstami scripts too, Crimson Gold and The White Balloon. Fun list, wrt Sirk have you seen Written on the Wind or Imitation of Life?

Awesome, thank you.

Have not. I rented All I Desire as part of a mini-Stanwyck binge but had to rip to my hard drive due to time constraints.

Maybe I just suck as searching, but I didn't see any talk about Jupiter Ascending, any thoughts?

Holy fuck, I just watched the trailer for August: Osage County ...did someone actually make Home For Purim??????!!!!

Peter O'Toole has passed. Bad year for great Irish people, Heaney and O'Toole in the same year. Ahh well great actor and of course Lawrence of Arabia remains one of the best films of all time.

Alright, I've seen about 6 movies this year. Gotta fix that in the coming weeks. It's binge time. This is the list I'm pulling from, any additions?

*Bolded Films are the ones we figured we HAD to see.
Gangster Squad
Broken City
Mama
The Last Stand
John Dies at the End
Bullet to the Head
Warm Bodies
Identity Thief
Side Effects
A Good Day to Die Hard
Safe Haven
Dark Skies
To the Wonder
Stoker
Emperor
Spring Breakers
The Call
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
Admission
Olympus Has Fallen
The Place Beyond the Pines
It's a Disaster
Mud
The Iceman
Star Trek Into Darkness
The Great Gatsby
Frances Ha
Before Midnight (Before Sunset)
Only God Forgives
Now You See Me
The East
The Purge
The Internship
This is the End
The Bling Ring
World War Z
The Heat
Dealin' with Idiots
Fruitvale Station
Pacific Rim
RED 2 (RED)
The Conjuring
The World's End
Blue Jasmine
2 Guns
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters
Kick-Ass 2
The Butler
About Time
Riddick
Insidious: Chapter 2
Rush
Enough Said
Prisoners
Gravity
Blue is the Warmest Color
Captain Phillips
Kill Your Darlings
12 Years a Slave
Carrie
Escape Plan
Ender's Game
Thor: The Dark World
The Spectacular Now
The Way, Way Back
Dallas Buyers Club
Last Vegas
The Wind Rises
Philomena
The Book Thief
Nebraska
Frozen
Oldboy
Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
Inside Llweyn Davis
Saving Mr. Banks
Her
Walking with Dinosaurs
Grudge Match
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
The Wolf of Wall Street
August: Osage County
All is Lost
The Great Beauty
The Hunt
The Past

The movies I have seen:
G.I. Joe: Retaliation
Oblivion
Iron Man 3
Man of Steel
Monsters University
American Hustle
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

Oh and I have a question. Anyone know what people are looking for in the Best Animated Film category? I just noticed that Walking with Dinosaurs wasn't nominated for the Golden Globe. I realize that the backgrounds on that film are real, and I haven't seen the movie yet, but damn that is one of the most amazing looking films I've ever seen. At least in the trailers. I'm really anxious to catch it in theaters, probably gonna go next week some time. I don't care how stupid the plot might be, I want to see those damn dinosaurs.

Side Effects
To the Wonder
Stoker *
Spring Breakers
The Place Beyond the Pines
Mud
Star Trek Into Darkness
The Great Gatsby
Frances Ha
Before Midnight (Before Sunset) *
The East
This is the End
The Bling Ring
Fruitvale Station
Blue Jasmine
Rush
Enough Said
Prisoners
Gravity
Blue is the Warmest Color *
Captain Phillips
12 Years a Slave *
Dallas Buyers Club
The Wind Rises *
Philomena
Nebraska
Inside Llweyn Davis
Her
The Wolf of Wall Street
All is Lost *
The Great Beauty *
The Hunt
The Past

This is everything I've seen and liked or have heard good things about.

The ones I starred are my top pics, though I have yet to see the Scorsese or Coen Bros films.

of your *s
the only one that I would not quite rate top notch is Stoker
there were a couple of just misses in the others, aside from that a pretty good list

Yeah, it was a list of EVERYTHING I might ever want to see. Not necessarily going to get to some stuff, but I love certain cheesy flicks, so basically everything that Arnold, Stallone and Willis did this year is on there.

The Wind Rises and Frozen are the frontrunners.

I doubt Despicable Me 2 is going to win anything,

I missed this post earlier. I'm not shocked to hear that, or anything (btw, what's up with the choices for animated film at the Globes :crack: ), but I guess I'm just surprised that, despite what might very well be an awful story, something that looks that good wouldn't be nominated and I'm wondering if there's just too much live action in it.

This is everything I've seen and liked or have heard good things about.

The ones I starred are my top pics, though I have yet to see the Scorsese or Coen Bros films.

Thanks for this. Makes it easier to narrow down priorities, though right now, I'm just working on what I've got from Netflix/Hulu/Amazon.

of your *s
the only one that I would not quite rate top notch is Stoker
there were a couple of just misses in the others, aside from that a pretty good list

Stoker is no doubt divisive, but on the film website I frequent it has a good share of fans who really love it.

So I'd say it's definitely worth checking out, certainly compared to most of the horror trash that comes out each year. Even something "prestigious" like The Conjuring wound up disappointing me compared to the hype of its quality.

We wanted to watch that first, but no legit sites had it. Travis is picking it up from Redbox now.

I'm so glad to be done with school. I don't think I've really movie binged since summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom