Once.... a small film but getting a lot of attention..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fanatic4ever

Blue Crack Addict
Once!

I was lucky enough to see an advance screening of that movie in Toronto. Afterwards there was a Q&A session with the director and Glen Hansard (singer of The Frames and main actor in this movie). It also included a small performance of Glen, solo on the movie theatre stage. :drool:

Anyway, regarding the movie, it's a great musical. Not in the traditional sense (with all those song-and-dance scenes), but as a moving (love) story with even more moving songs. No fancy settings, elaborate sets or stylised performances, just two great actors and the streets of Dublin.

Very recommended! :up:

Popmartijn said:
This movie (and Glen's performance after the screening) made me a Frames fan.

:drool:

Here are some pictures of Glen's performance. And yes, that's the same guitar as he plays in the movie.
(hope this works) http://www.flickr.com/photos/65405035@N00/sets/72157600236150440/

Wow..! that's so awesome... ur so lucky..

:sad: I wish this movie was still playing in my area I would go see it...

This is one of my fave film of this year - i just loved it :drool:

If you are living in Australia - its playing in selected cinemas at the moment.

Popmartijn said:
Once!

I was lucky enough to see an advance screening of that movie in Toronto. Afterwards there was a Q&A session with the director and Glen Hansard (singer of The Frames and main actor in this movie). It also included a small performance of Glen, solo on the movie theatre stage. :drool:

I'm totally green with envy - that must have been an amazing experience. What songs did Glen sing?

Glen and Marketa's vocies just blend together so beautifully - i get goosebumps listening to their songs. It reminds me of the magic between Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan.

If you love the music on this film - check out The Swell Season cd too - it features four tracks from the movie.

U2 Bliss said:
I'm totally green with envy - that must have been an amazing experience. What songs did Glen sing?

Unfortunately, I didn't know many of his songs when I attended the screening. He did play Falling Slowly (my fave! :love: ) with some girls from the audience doing the backup vocals. He also recognised a local singer/songwriter in the audience and invited him up on stage to sing one of his songs. That one was excellent too.
In any case, yeah, I was very lucky.

Glen and Marketa's vocies just blend together so beautifully - i get goosebumps listening to their songs. It reminds me of the magic between Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan.

Typical that you mention Damien Rice, as apparently he and Glen are friends. I think Damien even makes a cameo in the movie (or was it maybe his mother? I forgot, in any case it's during the house party scene).

If you love the music on this film - check out The Swell Season cd too - it features four tracks from the movie.

I got that one, it's also amazing. Bought it when they (The Frames) performed in my town a couple of months ago. I'm still looking for the official soundtrack of the movie though. I know it exists, I just haven't seen it in the music shops here.

A beautiful film. :up:

I've been a Frames fan for a long time. I saw them open for Damien Rice about 5 years ago and have always wanted to see them headline their own show but they so rarely come around.

The young woman in the film was extraordinary, too.

martha said:

Most morning during the school year, I get up at 4:30 to go to the gym.

I know, I'm fucking nuts.

If my gym opened before 6AM, I'd be there. I only just learned that they secretly open at 5:30 for the hardcores so you can find me there most work days. I love the wee early morning hours. :yes:

I saw this movie early in the summer and I absolutely loved it. The movie theater is still showing it because it's gotten such great buzz.

And I wrote a review of "Once" for my new blog http://popcorninmybra.blogspot.com/

Sometimes in our lives someone or something will come, however briefly, and make a huge impact on us. Such is the Irish movie Once, an Irish film written and directed by John Carney. Though filmed in a mere seventeen days, and made for only $150,000, Once stays with you long after the credits roll. It is a deceptively simple story. Boy meets girl, they make beautiful music together, and maybe fall in love. It’s an anti-musical musical and anti-romance romance.

Glen Hansard, from the Irish band the Frames, plays an unnamed Irish street musician (none of the principle characters are given names). When he’s not singing and playing his battered guitar, he is repairing vacuum cleaners at his father’s shop and writing songs about an old girlfriend now living in England. Along comes a young Czech immigrant girl, wonderfully played by newcomer Marketa Irglova. She struggles to get by cleaning houses and selling roses on the street.

At a chance meeting, she is impressed by the musician’s performance and they strike up a conversation. It turns out she’s a singer and a pianist, and she takes him to a local music shop where she practices the piano during her free time. She would love to buy one, but needs her money to support her mother and infant daughter.

During one session at the shop, they run through a song called “Falling Slowly.” It is at this moment they bond as they work out this song about love gone wrong. Love gone wrong is something they know too much about. He is still pining for his ex-girlfriend. And it turns out she has a husband back home.

Inspired by the music, and perhaps by his growing attraction to his new friend, the street musician gathers up a bunch of rag tag musicians and somehow gets the money to rent a recording studio for the week-end. It is there that his rough songs take shape and soar. And despite his new found friendship with this new girl, he makes plans to go to England to win back the heart of his ex-girlfriend. And he thinks his songs will do the trick.

Unlike most Hollywood musicals, the characters just don’t burst into song. The songs, mostly written by Hansard, just flow organically. And unlike Hollywood romances, Once courts the idea of disappointment in life and love. This movie combines both sadness and happiness in a very poignant and human way. But you root for these two characters no matter where their lives may take them.

As mentioned before, Once was made on a shoestring budget. It has a gritty, working class feel of Ireland before the economic boom of the “Celtic Tiger.” The Irish brogues are very thick and sometimes a bit hard to understand, and the shaky camera work can be a bit disconcerting. But those aspects are minor. Once is truly one of the most satisfying movies I’ve seen this year

My university has various giveaways for graduates during the year. They posted me two tickets for this film for next week. :up:

Lara Mullen said:
My university has various giveaways for graduates during the year. They posted me two tickets for this film for next week. :up:

What date? Can I come over? :D

Coincidentally, I was thinking about this film today, hoping it'll get a DVD release soon. I sooo want to have this one on DVD.
:love:

Popmartijn said:

What date? Can I come over? :D

Coincidentally, I was thinking about this film today, hoping it'll get a DVD release soon. I sooo want to have this one on DVD.
:love:

Next Tuesday. I just realised I have an evening class that night and can't go. I'll have to give them away :(

Yay! Now that I watched the movie I can join in on the fun!

I just found out what Markéta's Czech translates to in response to "Do you love [your husband]" ...and I cried like a little girl (not really). I'm going to see it again tonight :sad:

got_edge said:
Yay! Now that I watched the movie I can join in on the fun!

I just found out what Markéta's Czech translates to in response to "Do you love [your husband]" ...and I cried like a little girl (not really). I'm going to see it again tonight :sad:

i am so so bummed the film was here at one theater and was planning on seeing it the other day and looked again and it was gone!:sad:

Now I have to wait for the DVD....:sad:

I am going to see The Swell Season at the Lincoln Theater here in DC in Nov.! woot!

Back
Top Bottom