NBC late-night is changing in 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wrote that before he started talking. OH man, oh man :sniffle:

That was hard to watch, but a good monologue. I didn't realize how much I loved this show until right now. :sad:

Does him thanking The Max Weinberg 7 and Joel Godard mean they're not going with him to The Tonight Show?

That was hard to watch, but a good monologue. I didn't realize how much I loved this show until right now. :sad:

Does him thanking The Max Weinberg 7 and Joel Godard mean they're not going with him to The Tonight Show?

At first I thought that's what he was going to say, but I don't think so now, I think if that were the case he would have come out and said it.

Wikipedia said:
The Max Weinberg 7 is the house band for the television program Late Night with Conan O'Brien and the announced future house band of The Tonight Show beginning June 1, 2009.

It doesn't say anything about it on Joel Godard's wikipedia page.

That....was upsetting to me. That's like the one song by them I like, do they always perform it like that?

No. The only good thing is you couldn't tell what the hell they were singing for a bit. Everything else about it was bad.

Just wow. If that's what it's come to, see ya later Meg. Was nice knowing you.

As for the show, it's not like he's off the air. Didn't strike me one way or another. :shrug: I was more upset about Letterman leaving Late Night.

No. The only good thing is you couldn't tell what the hell they were singing for a bit. Everything else about it was bad.

Just wow. If that's what it's come to, see ya later Meg. Was nice knowing you.

As for the show, it's not like he's off the air. Didn't strike me one way or another. :shrug: I was more upset about Letterman leaving Late Night.

well thank God for that, I guess. It was just a little depressing, them singing a song I love that much, on the last ep of a show being hosted by someone I admire that much, being sung that badly.

And that's all it is, It's just hard to believe that things will be the same on the Tonight Show, that's all. but last night, with what he said, I'm far more optimistic than i was.

I'm glad that Conan acknowledged Dave. Dave was very graceful/supportive of Conan, even with all the bitterness he had towards NBC at the time. Dave's act/show has of course changed dramatically over the years and he's an echo of what he once was, but when he was on at 12:30am he reinvented the genre....and Conan, after a rocky start has done nicely keeping that legacy going. Sad to see the clown coming in and taking over the 12:30am slot.

And, that White Stripes tune was awful, but, then again, they're overrated anyway.

I hope Conan does not have to alter his show too much at 11:30pm. Sadly, the ratings will dictate that.

Conan last night was amazing. :up:

The saddest part is that I'll never watch Late Night again thanks to Jimmy Phaillon hosting it. :down:

Every once in a while, Screw, we feel exactly the same way. He's going to be absolutely horrid.

QFT :up:

Just the commercials for him hosting made me want to scratch my eyes out. Who on earth thought this was a good idea?

QFT again!

And NSW, I think schizo GAF is back. And probably sober.
At first I thought it was just me that thought the Stripes sucked. Glad I wasn't alone. WTF? :der:

...but....but....Joel....:sad:

Joel is great, and he's hilarious, but he's like 70. It wouldn't be fair to ask the guy to move across the country at that age. We'll miss him though, for sure.

I think Richter's a good choice. There isn't really any standard on a how a late-night host uses his announcer. I mean, Jay just uses his announcer as an announcer..every now and then he'll be involved in some street skit or something, but that's it. And then you have the way Conan used Joel, and the way Letterman uses Alan Kalter, which is to say, they are given fictional, over the top, but funny, caricature personas to play in slapstick sketches - which is hilarious with Joel, but spotty with Kalter. But then you look at Ed McMahon, he was an absolutely integral part of Johnny Carson's Tonight Show, more like a sidekick who also happened to be announcer...I see Conan using Richter in a role like this. I don't think Conan would ask his good friend Richter to do this just to announce Conan at the start of the episode and not be seen again. Anyone could do that for Conan. No, I think Richter is going to be in the McMahon Sidekick(+announcer) mold.

Very interesting :hmm: I can see Andy being used more in skits & such :up:

It didn't seem clear last week if Joel was coming to California or not. I don't recall him saying anything, unless I missed it. I know there was some sort of segment/tribute to him. :shrug:

Yay Andy! I'll keep my fingers crossed for more staring contests and desk drives...

Joel will always have a fond place in my heart. :heart:

Picture0855.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom