Michael Jackson rushed to hospital - He was not breathing / Michael Jackson is dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was kinda hoping that MTV would take some appropriate action and start showing some MJ videos, but nope. Can't interrupt this very important .... rerun of Futurama?

*checks listing to make sure I actually have it on MTV*

I guess they'll get around to it eventually. Maybe.
They have been showing his videos though. At least at the time I checked it.

I don't see how anyone can say they're as shocked as they were during Lennon's death. They two deaths aren't even in the same realm of each other.

I mean the guy was fucking murdered.

I haven't read through this whole thread and I'm on my phone right now. But I just wanted to say that this is a person why was certainly abused as a child, and deserves a little sympathy. But he spent most of his adulthood building a private fantasyland for himself, as well as spending god knows how much altering his face, body, and skin color, for which there is no excuse, and which personally I find insulting to his black heritage.

The guy could have spent his time and money trying to make the world a better place (imagine what he could have accomplished in Africa, for example). Instead he just retreated further and further into his own delusions. That anyone would worship this guy, or think of him as a role model disturbs me. He represents everything wrong with child stars, frivolous spending, bad parenting, arrested development, etc. And that doesnt include the TWO incidents of being accused of child molestation. Yes, he was acquitted, but they found books of nude children, he admitted to having slumber parties with kids, and supposedly witnesses were threatened and bullied...plus he settled out of court for an exorbitant amount. So I don't think the guy is innocent.

A handful of catchy songs doesn't stack up too well against all the bad stuff. A John Lennon-level tragedy this ain't, and not much of a loss to the music world either. He's been irrelevant for over 15 years.

I was kinda hoping that MTV would take some appropriate action and start showing some MJ videos, but nope. Can't interrupt this very important .... rerun of Futurama?

*checks listing to make sure I actually have it on MTV*

I guess they'll get around to it eventually. Maybe.

God forbid MTV show Music Television. :rolleyes:

I bet it'll be MJ day on Vh1 or Vh1 Classic tomorrow.

I don't see how anyone can say they're as shocked as they were during Lennon's death.

I mean the guy was fucking murdered.

i'm 23 - only Jacko, Freddie Mercury and Diana have been massive deaths in my era/registered on my radar

this is the biggest and saddest

Obviously if i was around when Lennon dies, yep i'd have been gutted too

There will never be another KING of POP

This I agree with, but maybe for different reasons. The guy was an undeniable talent, but the future's lack of any true "King of Pop" will be due to the fact that the days of any one artist defining popular music and/or a generation are long hone.

Man, Al Sharpton can say all of the right things and still sound like a douchebag. CNN has all the best coverage today. :lol:

He may have been a criminal. But no one can deny that he was a smooth criminal.

I'm about to head to a friend's apartment to watch the draft and we've already decided that we'll be bumping nothin but MJ on the speakers all night. Peace out.

20th century go to sleep.

I haven't read through this whole thread and I'm on my phone right now. But I just wanted to say that this is a person why was certainly abused as a child, and deserves a little sympathy. But he spent most of his adulthood building a private fantasyland for himself, as well as spending god knows how much altering his face, body, and skin color, for which there is no excuse, and which personally I find insulting to his black heritage.

The guy could have spent his time and money trying to make the world a better place (imagine what he could have accomplished in Africa, for example). Instead he just retreated further and further into his own delusions. That anyone would worship this guy, or think of him as a role model disturbs me. He represents everything wrong with child stars, frivolous spending, bad parenting, arrested development, etc. And that doesnt include the TWO incidents of being accused of child molestation. Yes, he was acquitted, but they found books of nude children, he admitted to having slumber parties with kids, and supposedly witnesses were threatened and bullied...plus he settled out of court for an exorbitant amount. So I don't think the guy is innocent.

A handful of catchy songs doesn't stack up too well against all the bad stuff. A John Lennon-level tragedy this ain't, and not much of a loss to the music world either. He's been irrelevant for over 15 years.

At one point, he made the Guinness Book of World Records for most charities supported by a pop star. While he was on tour he visited sick children in hospitals. I'll have to look up a resource, but I thought he even had specific days at Neverland for terminally ill children or something. Then there was that We Are the World thing. He did spend his time and money to try and make the world a better place, he wasn't completely out of it.

The more I am remembering and hearing about him, the more this is saddening me. He and his music was a bigger part of my childhood than I remembered, until this happened and I had occasion to truly think about it.

I hope he is remembered more as Michael Jackson than as Wacko Jacko.

The more I am remembering and hearing about him, the more this is saddening me. He and his music was a bigger part of my childhood than I remembered, until this happened and I had occasion to truly think about it.

I can't agree more. I'm not making excuses for certain things, but I happen to have first hand experience with a certain aspect of his childhood that is so ridiculously damaging to one's psyche that I see those things as more tragic than anything.

Baby was a black sheep
Baby was a whore
Baby got big
And baby get bigger
Baby get something
Baby get more
Baby, baby, baby
Was a rock-and-roll ******
Oh, look around you,
All around you,
Riding on a copper wave
Do you like
The world around you?
Are you ready to behave?

Outside of society,
they're waitin' for me
Outside of society,
that's where I want to be

Baby was a black sheep
Baby was a whore
You know she got big
Well, she's gonna get bigger
Baby got a hand;
Got a finger on the trigger
Baby, baby, baby
Is a rock-and-roll ******

Outside of society,
That's where I want to be
Outside of society,
They're waitin' for me

Those who have suffered,
Understand suffering,
And thereby extend their hand
The storm that brings harm
Also makes fertile
Blessed is the grass
And herb
And the true thorn
And light

I was lost
In a valley of pleasure
I was lost
In the infinite sea
I was lost,
And measure for measure,
Love spewed
From the heart of me
I was lost, and the cost,
And the cost
Didn't matter to me
I was lost, and the cost
Was to be outside society

Jimi Hendrix was a ******
Jesus Christ and Grandma, too
Jackson Pollock was a ******
******, ******, ******, ******,
******, ******, ******

Outside of society,
They're waitin' for me
Outside of society,
If you're looking,
That's where you'll find me
Outside of society,
They're waitin' for me
Outside of society

Outside of society,
They're waitin' for me
Outside of society,
If you're looking,
That's where you'll find me
Outside of society,
They're waitin' for me
Outside of society

MTV has got a video on now.
I can remember writing Michael Jackson a fan letter around the time of Off The Wall

good God, haters to the left, for real.

we all had our michael jackson hate days during his trial, this thread is for something else.

This is true -- I just showed my 12 year-old daughter the coverage on every news station, and was trying to explain what he meant to pop culture and entertainment -- and to people around the world. It's huge -- I remember being obsessed w his videos around the Billie Jean/Thriller stage. He was an incredible talent and will be missed, regardless of all the other weirdness/issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom