Mackenzie Phillips: "I had sex with my Dad"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And OJ isn't a double murderer.

:rolleyes:

Not to make this about anything other than the original post, but in OJ's case, a crime was undeniably committed. In Jackson's case, it was an allegation of an unproven incident in which the plaintiff stood to make a lot of money. Big difference

This whole story has given me the creeps. It's gross and wrong. Mac needs more therapy to work this out in private not write a damn book about it and sensationalize it all over the shocked airwaves and media! Ugh! Of course Oprah would get in on the act too. And not do just one show on it but another one featuring Chynna now! What a family! Yuck Yuck Yuck! :doh:

I hope she's lying. But at the same time, why would she say that about her father?

This article sheds light on incest:

Debra Borys, Ph.D., a Los-Angeles-based therapist specializing in issues of abuse and incest, agrees and points out that many victims of abuse ultimately start making accommodations in their own belief systems. Mackenzie, for example, has repeatedly stated that her father was not a bad man but rather suffering from mental illness. "The abusers become such a key attachment figure in the lives of their victims," Borys says. "And when it's been a long-term relationship started in childhood or adolescence, the victim may feel he or she is special to the abuser."

Nagy says in his experience it is rare to see adults continue in incestuous relationships once they've come of age, but it does happen. "It's a huge boundary violation that begins in pre-adolescence and adolescence, and those years of conditioning to be subservient just don't go away in adulthood," he explains. "It's easy to regress and dissociate and become an adolescent all over again."

Long Term Effects Of Incest - AOL Health

No words for this. Why would she tell the world?? I don't even know how to rationalize this. A 10 year relationship?

/wtf wtf wtf

She said she wanted to tell the world because she knows she can't be the only person that has gone through this. That other people can know that they are not alone in this situation and can survive it.

I read something that the Rape Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN) experienced a huge jump in calls after the Oprah show aired. So yeah.

I work with kids all the time that tried telling others YEARS before anyone would actually believe them.
yeah, i can imagine. thankfully i've never personally experienced anything like that, but for the courage for anyone to come forward with a story like this and to not be believed? it's just so sad. i know very, very rarely people do make up incest/rape stories but they're the exception, not the norm. it really saddens me that some people always default to the excuse that they must be lying about it.

yeah, i can imagine. thankfully i've never personally experienced anything like that, but for the courage for anyone to come forward with a story like this and to not be believed? it's just so sad. i know very, very rarely people do make up incest/rape stories but they're the exception, not the norm. it really saddens me that some people always default to the excuse that they must be lying about it.

To be fair, it's so shocking that you naturally want to reject it. Most parents/teachers/etc go into shock when they hear a child talk about it and if they haven't thought through the proper response before hand they will try to restore an equilibrium in the relationship. That's why we spend so much time training teachers and have made so many professions mandatory reporters. The more we take the decision out of people's hands, the better we respond to children's needs.

That being said, I'll be in court this week with a family in which the child made an untrue accusation last year that has devastated the family in every way imaginable.

Back
Top Bottom