LOST: The Final Season -Part 2- It only ends once

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So you would have been happier if there would have been a black abyss when Christian opened the door. You're dreary. Dreary I say!

I'm also doom and gloom, if you would believe another thread on here. :wink:

I would have preferred that the sideways world be real, somehow. It would have been more meaningful to me for these characters to have had these realizations and reunions, and some real happiness in their lives - their actual lives, while they were alive.

That's not to say that I was so turned off by the ending that I absolutely hated it or anything. I think it's just something that wasn't meaningful to me personally, so it'll take some time for me to come to terms with it, you know?

Penultimate episode interrupted by exploding cable box? Check.
Cable box promptly replaced? Check.
Finale interrupted by local breaking news? Check.

I am fine with the ending

Sean said they had a lot of plates spinning in the air

I said they painted themselves into a corner

Someone said the writing was better during the first four seasons, I agree with him.

I remember attending a presentation by David Lynch, he took questions from the audience, they wanted him to tell them what Mulholland Drive was about.
He said it meant, what it meant to them, or something like that.

Being an agnostic, it does not bother me that this went the religious way. I don't need stories to sync up with my personal beliefs. I enjoy many religious themes in films and T V series, I enjoy them more when the execution is a little better than this turned out.

But when they kept spinning so many damn plates, it was inevitable some would break. At lest the kept some of the more important ones spinning.

I pretty much had to admit to myself that I'm an agnostic a few years ago, though, I still take pride on the secular aspects/connotations that come with being born into Judaism.

That being said, while I respect what VP is saying about the ending not resonating with her because it does not jive with her beliefs, for me, since it's a fiction piece, it didn't really matter to me if the ending synched up with my beliefs or not. That being said, it's of course possible that a different, more personal ending might have impacted me more, not sure.

Joyful, that absolutely sucks.

And, there are a lot of branches or subsets of agnosticism, as I came to find out a few years ago.

As a rule, I don't mind stories with religious themes, either. That's not my main objection to it. I can appreciate them on an aesthetic level, and often do.

I guess what it is for me is that I cared about these characters so much, probably more than is rational, and I desperately wanted the happy ending for them. I guess the ending was happy for them, to most people, people who are believers, and people like Deep. Where I differ from him is that to me, it wasn't a happy ending.

The notion that we face trials here on earth, and that the positive resolution to that is to be rewarded in an afterlife is so alien to me, that it feels like MY characters, the ones I care so deeply about, were cheated out of that happy ending.

Not sure if that explains better how I'm feeling right now or not, but there it is. Hell, I'm not even sure myself what it is that I'm feeling. I could completely change my mind about the ending of the show tomorrow, I don't know.

Joyful, I'd be hunting down whoever made that decision. Did you miss much of it?

Eta - I think if I were more detached from the show and the characters, I could have appreciated it more. But I'm not. Irrational caring, and all that.

I pretty much had to admit to myself that I'm an agnostic a few years ago, though, I still take pride on the secular aspects/connotations that come with being born into Judaism.

That being said, while I respect what VP is saying about the ending not resonating with her because it does not jive with her beliefs, for me, since it's a fiction piece, it didn't really matter to me if the ending synched up with my beliefs or not. That being said, it's of course possible that a different, more personal ending might have impacted me more, not sure.

Joyful, that absolutely sucks.

And, there are a lot of branches or subsets of agnosticism, as I came to find out a few years ago.

Shut the hell up.

As a rule, I don't mind stories with religious themes, either. That's not my main objection to it. I can appreciate them on an aesthetic level, and often do.

I guess what it is for me is that I cared about these characters so much, probably more than is rational, and I desperately wanted the happy ending for them. I guess the ending was happy for them, to most people, people who are believers, and people like Deep. Where I differ from him is that to me, it wasn't a happy ending.

The notion that we face trials here on earth, and that the positive resolution to that is to be rewarded in an afterlife is so alien to me, that it feels like MY characters, the ones I care so deeply about, were cheated out of that happy ending.

Not sure if that explains better how I'm feeling right now or not, but there it is. Hell, I'm not even sure myself what it is that I'm feeling. I could completely change my mind about the ending of the show tomorrow, I don't know.

Joyful, I'd be hunting down whoever made that decision. Did you miss much of it?

Eta - I think if I were more detached from the show and the characters, I could have appreciated it more. But I'm not. Irrational caring, and all that.

That all makes a lot of sense, and, of course as time goes by you might find yourself liking the ending more, or even less, as you fully process it. You were mostly watching with an emotional eye last night, now the analytical side will take over.

I think I just derived some pleasure from knowing that they were able to reunite once more, regardless of where/how/what was next. Afterlife or no, it was nice to see these people gain some modicum of joy from each other's company. That's probably a simplistic view and I should take Dalton's advice and shut up, but, too late, I typed it.

I spent homeroom talking with one of my AP students about the finale. :)

I really enjoyed the ending. Like beegee, I still feel like I'm trying to take it all in. I might go back and watch it again this week.

I might watch it again, too, but don't really feel like crying like 5x again. We'll see.

I wonder if I'll ever re-watch the whole series.....something so predicated on mystery, not sure if it will lose or gain appeal if I re-watch knowing what I now know.

That all makes a lot of sense, and, of course as time goes by you might find yourself liking the ending more, or even less, as you fully process it. You were mostly watching with an emotional eye last night, now the analytical side will take over.
That's exactly what I hope, too.

I think I just derived some pleasure from knowing that they were able to reunite once more, regardless of where/how/what was next. Afterlife or no, it was nice to see these people gain some modicum of joy from each other's company. That's probably a simplistic view and I should take Dalton's advice and shut up, but, too late, I typed it.

Ha. Unlike Dalton, I'm glad you posted it. :)

I might watch it again, too, but don't really feel like crying like 5x again. We'll see.

I'm still feeling emotionally drained today! I was planning to rewatch it today, but I can't do it yet.

Yeah, the show is definitely in my head today, and so if I do re-watch the finale, it will be a few days from now.

And later I go from this finale to the 24 finale, which is juuuuuust slightly different in tone, as well as my level of affinity, but still. :)

for me being an agnostic is a more honorable and decent way to live

it seems many (most?) religious people are focused on the life after death

that the choices they make now, their behavior will determine how they spend eternity, and that is the most important thing.

I'd like to think that life before death is more important
the choices we make and our behavior, how these things affect ourselves and others in the here and now,that is what is most important.
choices should be made for this life before death.

Oh God...I bet they got a lot of angry phone calls. Was it, at least, actually important news?

Unless that breaking news was that they found the actual island and the whole story is REAL ... that's completely unacceptable.

It was about a fire in another part of the state, relevant to a teeny tiny percent of the local viewing audience who I'm guessing were not going to burn down in their houses while they were glued to Lost - they needed only smell the fire and hear the sirens to know they had to evacuate. There was a split screen during the first 10 minutes or so with half of it being Lost and the other half the fire, and throughout the whole thing a huge ticker ran across the bottom with a giant KOAT-TV logo in the corner. It was so infuriatingly obnoxious and distracting, especially the split screen. And it's not the first time. I actually started writing an angry email but realized I missed the whole first 10 minutes being pissed off.

intersting about all the degrees of agnosticism....

-------------------------------------------------

I can absolutely see whyyou feel cheated for your characters, VP.:hug:

And VP, i posit that we of the Western Scientific world, i think, tend to think maybe we are "above" (rationally) caring so much for fictional charcters. It's fiction, after all.

But human beings tend to be storytellers among other things.

Stories are a major way we make sense of the world & ourselves, and here we are with a story dealing with Big age-old Issues: life/death/love/friendahip/seperation/reunion/remdemption (non-religious type)/faith/science, etc.....

.....we are not so stand apartish (unaffected) by these inquires/explorations presented in a good story as our rarional part says we "should" be, perhaps? :)

I'm still feeling emotionally drained today! I was planning to rewatch it today, but I can't do it yet.

I've been entirely unproductive at work today in large part because my brain keeps shifting back to the finale.

"I've missed you so much ..."

I'm sad that we'll never know what happened to all of them, but I'm glad that they finally got together in the end.

Am I the only one whose favorite character was Jack? Almost everything that I've read has complained about all the air time that Jack got.

Saw this set of shots on another site. Pretty nice.

finalecap.jpg

Dalton, I've always liked Jack. I got a little tired of the love triangle with Kate and Sawyer, as well as his relationship with Juliet....but, Jack in and of himself I've always liked/rooted for.

Am I the only one whose favorite character was Jack? Almost everything that I've read has complained about all the air time that Jack got.

I pretty much liked them all

the casting on this show was excellent, much better than Flash Forward

and the writing, the character development, especially early on was great.

The episodes with their back stories were all generally well done.

I even liked the ones they killed off, Ana Maria, Mr Eko,
It seemed there were a few unsatisfying episodes over the six years, it was not the actors or the characters, I remember many in here saying things like, nothing happened this week, now I wonder if some of those episodes were laying some kind of foundation for future events :shrug:

Not sure if it's legit or not, but that was very cool. :up:

Dazzled, maybe it's the people I associate with, but I've never really felt that most people are opposed to letting their fan freak flag fly (holy alliteration, batman) proudly. :)

Dalton, I've always liked Jack. I like Kate, too, and honestly don't understand the hatred of the two of them. They're both deeply flawed, but imo, ultimately good people and likable. I guess I tuned a lot of the love triangle/quadrangle stuff out, I didn't find it that interesting, but I can understand why Kate was attracted to both Sawyer and Jack. They both fulfilled different needs for her at different times.

I've been entirely unproductive at work today in large part because my brain keeps shifting back to the finale.

Heh...thank God it's Victoria Day here in Canada, because I've been the same way.

Not sure if it's legit or not, but that was very cool. :up:

Dazzled, maybe it's the people I associate with, but I've never really felt that most people are opposed to letting their fan freak flag fly (holy alliteration, batman) proudly. :)

Dalton, I've always liked Jack. I like Kate, too, and honestly don't understand the hatred of the two of them. They're both deeply flawed, but imo, ultimately good people and likable. I guess I tuned a lot of the love triangle/quadrangle stuff out, I didn't find it that interesting, but I can understand why Kate was attracted to both Sawyer and Jack. They both fulfilled different needs for her at different times.

holly illerteration, indeed! :lol:

it seemed to me you felt you were saying about yourself that you were caring too much about fictional these characters :hug:

which is why i responded as such. :)

I don't understand the big hatred either. seeing thier flaws yes.....

Back
Top Bottom