Lost—Season 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally, I think the show has been fundamentally flawed since this new design was initiated, since now (judging by the reactions in this thread alone even) it's pretty much a feeding machine for all the mythology-whores out there.

Nothing has changed. This show has generated discussions and theories since day one. And now that more pieces of the puzzle are being revealed, of course the viewers or "mythology-whores" as you call them (even the ones in this thread) are going to be excited.

After watching part of the episode again this morning I would have to agree that Ms. Hawking is probably Faraday's mother - I had forgotten that Faraday told Desmond to find his mother and it makes perfect sense that it would be her.

I'm not so sure. This is Lost, and sometimes the most obvious connections turn out to be untrue. I think the writers want us to think that Mrs. Hawking is Faraday's mother.

I just rewatched "Flashes Before Your Eyes" last night, or at least all the Ms. Hawking parts, and it's interesting how much of the "you can't change the past" stuff was in there.

She clearly knows a lot about the subject, and now we know she's some kind of scientist as well. Which is why I think it's near impossible that she's not the person who Desmond was told to see by Faraday--his mother.

It's also been said before by Lindelof that she's some kind of time traveler or "time-police".

Something that occurred to me when I was watching it, and just came back to me now was Kate and Sun's conversation. When Sun was recounting events on the freighter, she said to Kate "I don't blame you." I don't know if it was a subtle change in her tone or body language, but I got a distinct deceptive vibe. If she really does blame Kate, does that make Kate the second person along with Ben that she holds responsible for Jin's death? If this is the case, does that prove she's working with Widmore, or is she acting solely for her own reasons? Last season, I was convinced that she wasn't being sincere with Widmore, that she was setting him up. Now I don't know.

Nothing has changed. This show has generated discussions and theories since day one. And now that more pieces of the puzzle are being revealed, of course the viewers or "mythology-whores" as you call them (even the ones in this thread) are going to be excited.

Slow down for a sec. The show has most definitely changed. Of course there have been theories and myth-building since day one. That was never the primary agenda of the show though. What made the show great from the beginning was the emphasis on building characters and their relationships. Of course they would do that by placing them in situations within the main storyline that subsequently built up the mythology, but the show always made sure they told engaging, insightful character pieces within each episode, and in the best cases, the characters' personal journeys would reflect (and in turn elaborate on) the wider narrative arc. Of course the pace was slower under this design (which drove the mythology-whores nuts, especially in season 3) but I personally feel the show was better for it.

Now it seems to have moved the emphasis towards concluding the wider narrative arc and finishing the myth-building, characters secondary. I mean since the end of season 3, outside of a handful of cases, have we really learned or felt anything significant new about any of these people we've spent 4 years watching? Not really. As a result, the episodes for the most part have also moved to a more haphazard design that cuts between a far greater number of groups and individual plot threads at the same time. Apparently we need to know everything that's happening in this show all at the same time. I know a lot of people have no problem with this, and that's fine. For my time though, I think it's a lousy way to do things. :shrug:

Well isn't the point of that interview that we already know all we need to about these people, and that's why the show was treading water? I think that you're wrong saying that none of them have developed since that point. Not all of them have, but some.

Now I do agree with you that the show should focus on a handful of characters in each episode instead of trying to feature everyone, but to be fair, this was the season premiere. I've heard rumors of the next episode only featuring one of the "groups", so it may be more to our liking.

Something I found curious last night--Richard Alpert told Locke that when he saw him the next time, he wouldn't know him, and to show him the compass. Well what happened to that episode when Alpert visited him in various stages of Locke's life to see if he was "ready"?

Doesn't really add up.

Slow down for a sec. The show has most definitely changed. Of course there have been theories and myth-building since day one. That was never the primary agenda of the show though. What made the show great from the beginning was the emphasis on building characters and their relationships. Of course they would do that by placing them in situations within the main storyline that subsequently built up the mythology, but the show always made sure they told engaging, insightful character pieces within each episode, and in the best cases, the characters' personal journeys would reflect (and in turn elaborate on) the wider narrative arc. Of course the pace was slower under this design (which drove the mythology-whores nuts, especially in season 3) but I personally feel the show was better for it.

Now it seems to have moved the emphasis towards concluding the wider narrative arc and finishing the myth-building, characters secondary. I mean since the end of season 3, outside of a handful of cases, have we really learned or felt anything significant new about any of these people we've spent 4 years watching? Not really. As a result, the episodes for the most part have also moved to a more haphazard design that cuts between a far greater number of groups and individual plot threads at the same time. Apparently we need to know everything that's happening in this show all at the same time. I know a lot of people have no problem with this, and that's fine. For my time though, I think it's a lousy way to do things. :shrug:

I totally see where your coming from here and I too am missing the charcter development. But becuse the character development has been done so well from past seasons, it's now interesting for me still to watch and see how all these stories/developmnets/experiences now merge and combine with one another to form a very complex and interesting story.

As far as trying to understand what in the hell is going on, I think this season will be the most interesting of all to go back and watch. Hell, I'm still trying to udnerstand what happened (or what will happen) based on the story development in the premiere.

Something that occurred to me when I was watching it, and just came back to me now was Kate and Sun's conversation. When Sun was recounting events on the freighter, she said to Kate "I don't blame you." I don't know if it was a subtle change in her tone or body language, but I got a distinct deceptive vibe. If she really does blame Kate, does that make Kate the second person along with Ben that she holds responsible for Jin's death? If this is the case, does that prove she's working with Widmore, or is she acting solely for her own reasons? Last season, I was convinced that she wasn't being sincere with Widmore, that she was setting him up. Now I don't know.

Sun does seem a little dark. In the recap one of the producers said that Sun believes Jin is dead, not that Jin is dead. :hmm:

That was all very confusing.

Sun does seem a little dark. In the recap one of the producers said that Sun believes Jin is dead, not that Jin is dead. :hmm:

That was all very confusing.

Yeah, I caught that too, and noted the wording of it. Knowing them, I'm sure it was intentional.

I thought right from the time the freighter exploded that things were being set up for a big reunion before the end of the series.

Also, I was reading something last night that made me remember that something I wrote in the post you quoted was incorrect. :reject: Her father was the one she said she blamed along with an unknown second person, not Ben. I think we're supposed to assume it's Ben, but now they've thrown the Kate thing into the mix.

They're definitely writing her character very ambiguously.

I caught that, too.

I was wondering if Sun blames Jack. I have to go back and watch the episode again but I believe after she told Kate she doesn't blame her, she said, "So, how's Jack?" It was a little creepy. I got the impression she might blame Jack - he's the one who practically dragged Kate back to the helicopter and kept insisting that they couldn't turn around, it was too late, etc. I love the new dark side of her character.

But Sun probably knows there was no way to have saved him at that point. Ben really is the other one responsible, because he killed Keamy without regard for the people on the boat. Of course Locke would have had to tell her about it.

I caught that, too.

I was wondering if Sun blames Jack. I have to go back and watch the episode again but I believe after she told Kate she doesn't blame her, she said, "So, how's Jack?" It was a little creepy. I got the impression she might blame Jack - he's the one who practically dragged Kate back to the helicopter and kept insisting that they couldn't turn around, it was too late, etc. I love the new dark side of her character.

Both my wife and I laughed a little on that part......a little foreshadowing perhaps? I have no idea how they are going to get her to go back with them to the island....unless Jin is there.

:racial:

Desk_Pose.JPG

Something I found curious last night--Richard Alpert told Locke that when he saw him the next time, he wouldn't know him, and to show him the compass. Well what happened to that episode when Alpert visited him in various stages of Locke's life to see if he was "ready"?

Doesn't really add up.

Could be that the next time Locke will see him will be, in fact, before any of those meetings occurred. Just my two cents.

I'm not going to read any of this but just wanted to say I only started watching this show last week. I'm almost done Season 1 and it's fantastic :drool: (although it took a few episodes for me to be really hooked)

Watched the 2 episodes tonight. Really hooked for next week's show.
Answered somethings, I think, but it brought out more questions.

Looks like I'm going to spend the next few nights reading Lostpedia :lol:

Back
Top Bottom