Lost—Season 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was definitely an enjoyable episode. I loved Hurley's synopsis of everything. :lol:

One thought I had near the very beginning of the episode when you see the little baby - I was wondering if that might possibly be Miles. I can't remember any of his back story, except the whole "Ghostbuster" thing, so I could be totally off. That was just my first thought when I saw the baby.

I'm curious to see what led up to Daniel being in the Orchid while it was being built.

Lots of stuff to think about!

It was definitely an enjoyable episode. I loved Hurley's synopsis of everything. :lol:

I loved Hurley tonight. My favourite line of the night was when he told Sayid in the van, "Dude, maybe if you'd eat more comfort food, you wouldn't have to kill so many people."

My second favourite line was Hurley's Mom: "Why is there a dead Pakistani on my couch?"

:laugh:

If I were going with a somebody's mother theory (and I really do hate mother theories so I hope it doesn't go in that direction), I would think Charlotte before Faraday although I'm not sure why, other than the fact that it's been made clear that she is looking for where she was born. I was kind of hoping that she was a Dharma kid, though. I once even wondered if she was Annie, Ben's little friend with the wooden dolls.

I read a theory somewhere that Faraday, Miles, and Charlotte were all born there, which is why they were recruited by Abbadon. They suggested that Dr. Candle's baby that was shown at the beginning of this episode is actually infant Miles.

That interview I posted gives a good reason for the show's change in structure.

And I love that they actually did kill the random background guy who suddenly has a bunch of lines for no reason. By playing into the cliche, they were kind of winking along with it, especially in the way he went out.

Thanks, I'll go back and read it. I've been avoiding this thread till tonight in case spoilers inadvertently got posted.

I noted that the redshirt guy was indeed wearing a red shirt, and kind of chuckled to myself.

It's my belief that, for reasons yet to be disclosed, Faraday's mother is Charlotte's constant, thus being able to "cure" her of the sickness.

Good theory, I like it.

All I know is that the crazy DaVinci Code lady is Ms. Hawking who we first met in season three, in the episode Flashes Before Your Eyes.

I knew it was her as soon as I saw the white bun.

As of right now, I have no theory on her.

Nice catch, I never would have remembered that in a thousand years! And I haven't had a chance to check out lostpedia yet tonight to see what else I may not have picked up on in this episode. That's my post-Lost watching ritual. I've missed it.

The lady from the butcher's shop - any idea who she is? Do we know her? Is she another one lost in the part of my mind where I file seemingly insignificant Lost characters?

I read a theory somewhere that Faraday, Miles, and Charlotte were all born there, which is why they were recruited by Abbadon. They suggested that Dr. Candle's baby that was shown at the beginning of this episode is actually infant Miles.

I suppose we can include Naomi in this category as well.

With the Losties moving through time, there is no doubt that we'll see the origins of the Black Rock, as well as the four-toed statue, which excites me to no end.

The lady from the butcher's shop - any idea who she is? Do we know her? Is she another one lost in the part of my mind where I file seemingly insignificant Lost characters?

Her name is Jill, but I have no idea who she is.

Thank you - Jill. I couldn't remember.

According to Lostpedia, this was her first appearance.

I don't trust the writers for anything - we were supposed to learn about the statue in season four. We were also supposed to get a Rousseau flashback!

Thank you - Jill. I couldn't remember.

According to Lostpedia, this was her first appearance.

I don't trust the writers for anything - we were supposed to learn about the statue in season four. We were also supposed to get a Rousseau flashback!

Yes, but now with the Losties moving through various points in the Island's time, we'll definitely bump into Rousseau at some point. I mean, we got to see Yemi's plane crash, which I thought was cool.

And the truncated season due to the writer's strike forced certain storylines to be condensed, put off until Season 5, or shelved completely.

Well the Rousseau flashback was probably lost due to the writer's strike. Lindeloff mentioned that some stuff with her and the daughter were casualties of losing a few episodes.

Also, I don't know if I'd include Naomi in the group of people that were born on the island. She was hired as more of a mercenary to get them there safely, just as Lapidus was hired because he's a pilot. Those three are the ones that seem to have some kind of strange connection, or in Miles' case, paranormal abilities.

The Rousseau flashback in S4 was allegedly cut due to the writer's strike. Sawyer and Claire also didn't get their flashback episodes due to the strike.

I would agree with you on those three being born there, laz.

I could have watched the time shifts for the entire episode and been perfectly happy.

I also loved the use of foreshadowing in the beginning with the record skipping.

Ha! The first thing I thought when Faraday asked to be taken to a man-made feature/structure (can't remember how he worded it) on the island was "hey, they're going to the statue!" Alas. :(

I'd better get my Rousseau flashback. And Libby's story, too. At least they mentioned her tonight.

They suggested that Dr. Candle's baby that was shown at the beginning of this episode is actually infant Miles.

Did I hear correctly and when the Dharma dude interrupted Dr. Candle doing the orientation film, didn't he call him something else, like Dr. Chang or something?

I'm not exactly sure what to think about this premiere. It had some great moments, but something felt a little bit off. And I know that it's been hinted at on the show before, but I worry about the introduction of time travel as a big plot point. It can really fuck up a storyline with all the backtracking, etc. All that shit with Sawyer, Juliet, and the scientists wandering around in different times..."Will our campsite at the beach be there?" "I don't know, it could be, but then again by the time you get back to the beach everything could change!" But that's LOST, right?

The best moment of the episode for me was the very end with that crazy lady and the swinging pendulum and all the candles. What the fuck is her deal? That reminded me of why I love the show...the mystery and the mythology of the whole thing. All in all, it's good to have you back old friend.

Yeah, the guy's got like 4 aliases. I think it was Dr. Chau. Very creepy.

His name is Dr. Pierre Chang but in each of the orientation videos he uses an alias - Dr. Marvin Candle, Dr. Edgar Halliwax, and Dr. Mark Wickmund. Each of these names has a candle reference (candle, wick, wax) but it's probably just another one of those Lost things that most likely has no real meaning.

After watching part of the episode again this morning I would have to agree that Ms. Hawking is probably Faraday's mother - I had forgotten that Faraday told Desmond to find his mother and it makes perfect sense that it would be her.

After watching part of the episode again this morning I would have to agree that Ms. Hawking is probably Faraday's mother - I had forgotten that Faraday told Desmond to find his mother and it makes perfect sense that it would be her.

Of course she told him to find her in Oxford, but she appears to be in LA with Ben, unless Desmond is on a different timeline, or Ben teleported from LA to Oxford, or she has an evil twin and a car named K.I.T.T.

It certainly was a lot to think about and I love to read everyone's thoughts on what is going on, especially since I don't remember the little things from previous seasons. I have problems with the time traveling...it just does not compute in my practical brain...it makes my head hurt!:wink: I certainly have too much time invested to give up on the show because of it, though!

My favorite part of last nights show was when Ben showed up at Hurleys house...Ben continues to be such a great character...he is so creepy...and when Hurley ran out to the street and smirked back at Ben...I just loved that part

I wasn't thrilled with the premire last night. It just seems like they tried to jam way too much information into two hours and it made it incredibly confusing. I think now that the season is set, the normal hours epsiodes will be interesting to watch just becuse they'll probably concentrate the story telling to only a few characters at a time rather than trying to tell what everyone is doing.

There were several instances and inferences that will be interseting to watch this year....can't wait :hyper:!

If Miles was born on the island it raises so many questions. What about the fact that pregnant women die on the island? Is this something that only recently began to occur? Is the island selective? Do only women who are carrying babies with "gifts" survive?

I read your link Laz. It was pretty enlightening, though the reasons for the change don't really bare on how it affects my reactions unfortunately. Though like I said, more people seem to be pleased by the shift, which is good for the show I suppose. Personally, I think the show has been fundamentally flawed since this new design was initiated, since now (judging by the reactions in this thread alone even) it's pretty much a feeding machine for all the mythology-whores out there.

Back
Top Bottom