Lost—Season 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm driving my co-workers crazy with "Ten hours until Lost...eight hours until Lost..."

I read an article that said we'll be seeing Ana Lucia in tonight's episode.

I'm driving my co-workers crazy with "Ten hours until Lost...eight hours until Lost..."

I read an article that said we'll be seeing Ana Lucia in tonight's episode.

teehee.. I could see myself doing that.. I had forgotten it was on tonite until a few minutes ago..(thanks Bomac).:doh:

I could not be more excited. Been my favorite show since about three episodes in... I was hooked. And everyone I told to watch it (no matter what we agree with otherwise) has loved it. We argue about sports or movies or politics, but LOST was the one thing that gets us on the same team.

Only 34 hours left... everyone is going to go by too fast and answer something.... I can not wait.

I've always been a Jack guy and I still hold out hope that Ben is a good guy who is doing this all for a greater good. I think he wants to save his mother.

LOST!!

I'm going to try and connect the cable to my digital projector so I can watch this movie-style.

Seriously, if you could see every episode in a theatre on Wednesdays, wouldn't you pay a small charge? Obviously this would add up, but maybe there would be like a season's pass that also comes with a DVD rebate coupon or something.

daniel faraday=:love::love::love:

ive been watching this since the season 1 premiere, and i still dont get a thing.

I thought they did a pretty good job of giving us indications as to when each scene was taking place. Maybe not specifically, but you could almost always tell in a relative way what the scene was before or after.

I really liked it, and was excited to have it back. I didn't even realize the extent that I'd missed it till it actually came on. I'm of the belief that even the worst episode of Lost is better than 95% of the crap out there.

At this point, I'm barely just holding on to interest. I don't know if the show has really lost something, or it's just going in a direction I personally distaste, but something's been fishy since the beginning of last season.

Even watching the preview after the episode for the rest of the season, I could have hardly felt less invested. I'm sure I'll stick with it till the end just to see how it all comes out, but they're really not doing a very good job at making me actually care about what's happening.

So you didn't like last season, Lance? Just curious, what didn't you like about it?

With me, I thought it was the strongest one yet. I was on the edge of my seat almost every episode last season.

I felt last season suffered from an unfortunate need to propel story forward under a number of circumstances. The writer's strike really left the show in an odd position, and once the show-endgame was established and the seasons shortened, they really had to blow through a good chunk of narrative in a shorter period. As a result I felt most of last season was rushed, left to cheap exposition and a generally unsavory pace and rhythm to the whole thing. I really disliked over half the episodes last season because they lacked the natural ebb and flow, the rhythm the show so expertly mastered over the first three seasons. Sure, fans bitched and moaned a lot during those seasons, demanding answers and for the thing to speed up. Unfortuante, since now that they have, we rarely get the level of depth and expressive exploration of the characters and their individual lives and feelings that we did in more leisurely seasons. I guess it's a give-or-take sort of scenario, and obviously a lot of people are happy with the slap-dash overloaded design of these newer episodes, so good for them. Personally, I find the whole thing lacking in grace. I mean this season opener was so all-over-the-place and haphazardly expositive I never felt as though I had any time to savor what was going on, despite the actual content actually being fairly interesting, as least in concept.

Ah. I can see where you're coming from, and think that's a valid complaint.

Those issues really don't bother me, though. The way I look at it is, it's almost like the first few season were more for character development, and now we know the past and motivations of many of them, so now it's time for action. It just seems like a natural progression to me. I've also read, as I'm sure you have too, that for a season or a season and a half there, it's like the producers were spinning their wheels, waiting for an end date, to see how to pace the rest of the series. From what I remember reading (I could be mistaken) they got what they wanted, and so I have to assume that with the exception of the strike last year, they're able to plot at the pace they want.

I never minded the pace of the earlier seasons either, and don't understand the complaining about it. It allowed them to give a depth and complexity to characters that most series never accomplish. I often wonder though if my perception of those seasons would be different if I hadn't caught up with them on dvd. Having a slow-paced episode and then being able to watch the next few in the same evening is much different than having to wait a week or more. I honestly don't know. And, when a show hooks me, I do tend to be very patient with it, and cut it a lot of slack, so there's that, too.

I think the first 3 seasons had that really nice design of exploring more focused character-driven plotlines, whose actions on the island (and off) subsequently fueled the bigger mythology of the show. Which was great, and made for some really beautiful consistent storytelling. But I know a lot of viewers had problems when certain characters would disappear for episodes at a time. I never minded, since it's just how best to tell this story in hour-long chunks. Now it's like they have to constantly remind us of every little thing that's going on, and as a result none of it comes across as particularly compelling.

I think the first 3 seasons had that really nice design of exploring more focused character-driven plotlines, whose actions on the island (and off) subsequently fueled the bigger mythology of the show. Which was great, and made for some really beautiful consistent storytelling. But I know a lot of viewers had problems when certain characters would disappear for episodes at a time. I never minded, since it's just how best to tell this story in hour-long chunks. Now it's like they have to constantly remind us of every little thing that's going on, and as a result none of it comes across as particularly compelling.

I agree with your assessment of the earlier seasons. I just happen to like where they're going now too, because it feels like we're going to get some answers, finally. I was going to say it's the payoff, but it really isn't, because I've enjoyed getting to this point, as well. It's been really entertaining. I've liked the whole damn thing.

Once they decided to end after a sixth season they had no choice but to propel the story forward. I'm glad for it. I would have hated to see the show go on at the pace of the first three seasons indefinitely, being dragged on as long as it could without any answers. This way, the show will end, and that will be that. As much as I hate the idea of it being over next year, I think it's the best way for it to go. Season four was brilliant.

That interview I posted gives a good reason for the show's change in structure.

Anyway, best moment of the night:

(SMACK!) "Shut up Ginger, or you're gonna get one too."

And I love that they actually did kill the random background guy who suddenly has a bunch of lines for no reason. By playing into the cliche, they were kind of winking along with it, especially in the way he went out.

One question for you guys: Do you think the crazy Da Vinci Code lady at the end is Faraday's mother? Desmond has been sent to see her, and there's gotta be a reason for that; perhaps she's a temporal physicist herself?

One question for you guys: Do you think the crazy Da Vinci Code lady at the end is Faraday's mother? Desmond has been sent to see her, and there's gotta be a reason for that; perhaps she's a temporal physicist herself?

Lost history shows us that sudden jumps through time cause people to get the "sickness" which starts manifesting itself first with nosebleeds (i.e. Minkowski, Desmond) and then leads to worse complications and eventually death. Once Daniel saw Charlotte with a nosebleed, he knew she didn't have much time left and immediately sought out Desmond (after Faraday consulted his notes). It's my belief that, for reasons yet to be disclosed, Faraday's mother is Charlotte's constant, thus being able to "cure" her of the sickness.

All I know is that the crazy DaVinci Code lady is Ms. Hawking who we first met in season three, in the episode Flashes Before Your Eyes.

I knew it was her as soon as I saw the white bun.

As of right now, I have no theory on her.

Back
Top Bottom