Lost—Season 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure we're going to be finding out a lot more about Dharma and The Others this season, which is cool because I find Alpert the most fascinating character right now.

And Candle doesn't just have 2 names. I'm pretty sure he has like 4 or 5 aliases...

Have these aliases been mentioned? I can't see a reason why this would be necessary for the island. Maybe on mainland for dodgey island related purposes, but on there?

And yeah, Alpert is an interesting one. What's curious is the power and authority cycle of these long timers. Who was it that said the island has a strange way of picking its leaders? Alpert, Linus, Widmore, Locke and sometimes even Jack all have occasional reins.

And where's Claire?? I need to know, damnit! I don't buy this Christian business. He's dead as a doornail. His image on the island is a ghost, surely.

And how does Locke die? Was it ever established why some can die and others cannot, like Michael?

I don't think Locke is really "dead". I think once his body is returned to the island he'll have some kind of recovery, even if it's in some Christian Shepherd-type fashion.

Not sure that Claire is even scheduled to appear this season, but supposedly she's returning next year.

His name is Dr. Pierre Chang but in each of the orientation videos he uses an alias - Dr. Marvin Candle, Dr. Edgar Halliwax, and Dr. Mark Wickmund. Each of these names has a candle reference (candle, wick, wax) but it's probably just another one of those Lost things that most likely has no real meaning.

Pierre Chang

There are some new episode titles and plot descriptions up on the Season 5 page on Wikipedia, I think they have the next 4 or so listed.

One of them has a pretty spoilerific title but I'm very excited.

Aaaaand... Alpert and crew were militantly protective back in the 50s, right? So how did the Darma people not end up dead when they arrived years later and able to do all their work?

Aaaaand... Why did Marvin have 2 names? I was sure someone called him Dr Chen or some such, but he is also known as Marvin Candle? Why would this be?

I'm so bloody confused this season.

I think that Dharma and The Others may have had some sort of an uneasy, suspicious truce going on for decades? I do remember that Dharma had that "fence" thing up, where if you touched it the field surrounding it, it caused some sort of fatal reaction. Maybe that's how they maintained the peace? Until young Ben was recruited by The Others, of course, and then he was able to set up the purge that killed most of Dharma.

I think Candle essentially had a different name in each training video for each station. There must be some unknown reason for him needing a different alias for each one.

I was actually wondering just how alike they are, and will Widmore also be forced/end up somehow sacrificing his daughter, or calling a failed bluff just like Linus? As soon as he said to Desmond this was bigger than him or his daughter, I thought Penny's days may be numbered.

The failed bluff resulting in Alex's death, that can probably be explained by the time travel phenomenon that's being featured this season. There's speculation out there that the reason Ben had been willing to gamble with Alex's life is because he had been through that scene in the past, and Alex always made it out alive. That would also account for his statement to Widmore, that Widmore "changed the rules." Maybe the rules had indicated that Alex shouldn't have died.

I wouldn't be surprised if Widmore would sacrifice Penny if he absolutely had to. It's all very vague and mysterious at this point, but if I had to bet on someone having good motivations (serving the island), it would be Ben, and Widmore would be the selfish one, serving his own interests.

ETA - I have to admit that I don't get much of the time travel thing. :reject: I have a very basic, superficial understanding about it - i.e.: they travel through time and end up in various periods of time. Daniel said in an earlier episode to imagine time "on a string." Okay, I think I've got that much. Then, I go reading message boards where they're having these in depth discussions about time travel within the parameters of what we've seen and been told on Lost, as well as other ways it's treated on various sci-fi pieces in popular culture. Things such as: is there a sequence you can time travel in? Can events be changed or not? Can someone die in the past if they're alive in the future? What about physical objects, can they time travel too?

The end result of all this reading is that what I thought I understood, I then realize that I really don't have a clue, all those big concepts make my head hurt, and then I curl up into a fetal position and cry, while attempting to comprehend it all. :(

The failed bluff resulting in Alex's death, that can probably be explained by the time travel phenomenon that's being featured this season. There's speculation out there that the reason Ben had been willing to gamble with Alex's life is because he had been through that scene in the past, and Alex always made it out alive. That would also account for his statement to Widmore, that Widmore "changed the rules." Maybe the rules had indicated that Alex shouldn't have died.

If there's a way to somehow bring Alex back, I'm all for it.

No excuse for getting rid of a hottie like that.

84717769_63dc768ef4.jpg

Yeah, she's a gorgeous girl. Very, very pretty. :up: I thought they did very well in the casting, with giving her a similar look to her mom. I mean, her mom is definitely a few decades older, more worn and kinda crazy, but I could see similarities.

:hyper:

I had a long, convoluted Lost dream last night, that mixed up the characters on the show, real life, and then culminated with me getting together with a bunch of other uber fans to watch an episode. Obsessed much?

Laz, buck up, 20 is legal.

Not as good as my Alex dream, but you probably didn't have to do laundry after yours.

No, not at all. In part of it, I cajoled a decades long quasi-crush (my older brother's friend) into kissing me. What's the opposite of needing to do laundry? There's a reason that crushes stay crushes, sometimes.

Then I went to this place that Sayid was staying with a bunch of other Iraqis, and watched while one of the guys living there gave him keys to a car that he had stashed there - a red Camaro. Because in my mind, Sayid prefers 80's style transportation, apparently.

Locke was also in it, but I can't remember his part.

I also had to run to a place to vote for Obama before the episode came on (hello, Canadian, here). I voted by inserting a thing that looked like a Ritz cracker into this slot. The cracker crumbled, and out came this receipt type thing that indicated my Obama vote had been registered. I have no idea WTF that could possibly mean.

Then when I got back to the place where we were viewing the episode, one guy was literally in tears, saying that watching Lost makes him "emotional." I remember thinking that at least I wasn't the geekiest fan there.

So, yeah.

I'm hoping tonight's episode is actually, ya know, exciting. And that it has as little Dan Faraday as possible. With his annoying voice and his time-traveling bullshit and his ratty beard.

Ok, the time-travel bullshit is just stupid. Four episodes into the season and I'm already sick to death of the damn "When are we" and the gimmicky flashes of light. Enough.

Anyway, I still liked this a lot more than last week. The highlights being Sayid rolling out of the hospital bed to strangle that dude and, of course, a Claire sighting. :drool:

I suppose I'm happy that Jin survived, although I really don't see how they'll explain that one. He exploded, reassembled, and floated to safety on a door like Rose in Titanic?

Yeah guys, Hey! Remember that emotional high point last year when Jin and Michael sacrificed themselves! And how touching Sun's flash forward was when she visited his grave and all that! You know... one of the few stunning moments from Season 4?

Well fuck you! We write Lost and we gave ourselves a bullshit mechanic that allows us to bring Jin back to life, so none of that shit really carries much weight! Isn't it awesome! Oh and holy shit, look it's that french chick as a girl! WHO THE FUCK SAW THAT COMING! ITS SO SURPRISINGLY GUYS1! RLY!

I guess the thing for me is that I never really believed for a second that Jin was dead. So for me, those scenes with Sun still hold a poignancy in that we're watching a woman who believes her husband to be dead grieving for him - the loss, and her suffering is very real to her. In that context, it doesn't feel like a cheap mind-fuck to me.

Yay, Rousseau back story, finally?

I'm pretty much taking this episode as confirmation that Miles was born on the island, and is probably Candle's son.

The whole love triangle has never been of much interest to me. I really don't care who each of them end up with, or if they all end up alone. It's mildly interesting in a group dynamics way, but that's about it for me. But tonight? I was genuinely touched when Sawyer saw pastKate delivering Aaron. Awwww. Holloway really sold that scene.

I guess the thing for me is that I never really believed for a second that Jin was dead. So for me, those scenes with Sun still hold a poignancy in that we're watching a woman who believes her husband to be dead grieving for him - the loss, and her suffering is very real to her. In that context, it doesn't feel like a cheap mind-fuck to me.

Yay, Rousseau back story, finally?

I'm pretty much taking this episode as confirmation that Miles was born on the island, and is probably Candle's son.

The whole love triangle has never been of much interest to me. I really don't care who each of them end up with, or if they all end up alone. It's mildly interesting in a group dynamics way, but that's about it for me. But tonight? I was genuinely touched when Sawyer saw pastKate delivering Aaron. Awwww. Holloway really sold that scene.

Ditto to everything you said.

I've always been a fan of the Kate/Sawyer relationship, though.

As soon as I saw the French chick, I knew it had to be Rousseau. It will be interesting to see what happens there. I can't remember if she had interactions with Jin before she died, and if there were any signs of her recognizing him.

Yeah, if you thought Jin was actually dead I don't know what to tell you. The whole point of him "dying" off camera was to either have him reappear later, or at least keep the option open. Also, he's been listed in the credits since the beginning of this season. Agreed that it doesn't lose its emotional weight because of Sun's experience. And it makes for a nice standoff (in the next episode, apparently) between her desire for vengeance and the chance that she might see him again. Clearly, it's not going to take much to get Sun to go back to the island once she believes Ben. But will she take her own child with her?

I saw the Rousseau thing coming a mile away, and it was certainly cool, but it's odd for them to have made this some kind of cliffhanger--they're just going to jump again soon, right? What can really be learned here?

What WAS surprising is that I had suspected Ben of orchestrating the Aaron thing, but was never sure, and I couldn't believe he actually admitted it so readily. What was the point of that? Just to scare her into showing up so he could make his proposition? When has Ben ever relied on the truth to convince anyone of doing what he wants?

The other cool thing, as VP also said, was the essential affirmation of the notion that Miles and Charlotte were both born on the island.

Sorry I haven't kept up on this thread this season but does anyone know if there have been any of the hidden whisper tracks in the sound yet this season? And if so what they have said?

I saw the Rousseau thing coming a mile away, and it was certainly cool, but it's odd for them to have made this some kind of cliffhanger--they're just going to jump again soon, right? What can really be learned here?

I think the biggest thing about the Rousseau thing (and I agreee that it was obvious whose wreckage it was before Locke even flipped the equipment over - sometimes I actually get annoyed with things like shots of her pregnant belly and so forth) is that Jin is sixteen years away from the freighter. So unless he floated "into the radius" before the island moved (which doesn't seem even remotely possible to me) how can they explain this?

Sawyer: "Thank you Lord!"
Time-Travel to Lightning Storm
Sawyer: "I take it back!"

That Sawyer line was funny.

Beeg--I was thinking the same thing...I was arguing with my roommate that Jin was obviously in the same time frame as the rest of them, even if it didn't seem possible. Wasn't the helicopter with the Oceanic 6 closer to the island than wherever Jin could have got to?

Whatever, bottom line is that I never thought he was dead, and had he survived and NOT been inside the radius, he'd be dead eventually anyway. So no surprises here.

I suppose I'm happy that Jin survived, although I really don't see how they'll explain that one. He exploded, reassembled, and floated to safety on a door like Rose in Titanic?

There'll be a flashback scene to Jin and Leonardo DiCraprio where Leo tells Jin, "you've got to live Jin! Live!!!!", and then Jin will release Leo's corpse into the waiting arma of Davy Jones and paddle to the island.

As for the time travel, its not only getting a tad annoying, but far too coincidental that every time they travel, they end up at a significant date (Yemi's plane crash, Aaron's birth, Rousseau's shipwreck), can't they for once just land on a lazy Tuesday where nothing happens on the island?

I agree that the time traveling aspect needs to be resolved quickly, but I never believed that Jin was dead, either. I'll be curious to see how they explain it, if they ever do.

The episode was better than last week's, and hopefully we'll be reaching a breaking point next week with all this.

The time travel stuff isn't going to stop until the Oceanic 6 are back, right? I originally thought that would take all season, but at the rate they're going they're going to have this resolved within the next few episodes.

Back
Top Bottom