James Cameron's "Avatar"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nonetheless, I can't help but feel they should have gone for a more customised font instead of, you know, Papyrus for the promos. Papyrus is but one step away from Comic Sans.

Seriously, years of groundbreaking technology development and production, and that's the graphic design they came up with.

This forum would be so much better if we could tag threads personally.

It's really the best thing RT has up on this place.

90% on RT. I just read Ebert's review, he was pretty much effusive with praise.

Here's the punchline in his review.
It takes a hell of a lot of nerve for a man to stand up at the Oscarcast and proclaim himself King of the World. James Cameron just got re-elected.

And dozens of American critics... Who were given... something else probably. We're not a nation of alcoholics.

Pancake and sausage on a stick dripping with baconnaise perhaps? I can't believe who in their right mind would actually eat that but I'm not from a nation of obesity.

Uh-oh, them's fightin' words, right Impy?

100_1122.jpg

Just let me get my knife and gym sock full of billiard balls and I'm there. Waiting in the shadows.

I am just afraid there is toooo much hype on this damn film.

I am expecting at least a 9 (on the 1 to 10 scale)

and if they give me an 8 1/2 - there will be hell to pay,
mayhem and baby shit everywhere !

I don't want this to turn into another fuckin' The Wrastler over hyped controversy.

3 out of 5 stars :|

(lock your babies up - mayhem is on the way)

Talking Pictures: 'Avatar' -- 3 stars :down:

Hasn't every other review been the exact opposite of that?

I suppose it was a mite too broad to say that - I wasn't referring to the Spaghettis and Waynes so much as the 60s/70s Indian-sentimentality ones a la Little Big Man and A Man Called Horse, which I figure is pretty obvious. That Avatar is dealing with such colonialism themes without having to tip-toe between the lines of political correctness (the blatant stereotypes of the peaceful, stoic Lakota chief are as annoying as the more offensive ones of the brutal, savage Lakota chief) through the use of a fictional indigenous pussycat population is one of the things I find most appealing about it.

Well from what the media down here has been saying 'Avatar' is a set up for another two planned movies. They are currently expected to release 'Avatar 2' in 2034 and 'Avatar 3' in 2167. :reject:

^Seeing it at an IMAX as well BB!

I really don't want to be disapointed...but I'm kind of preparing myself to be let down.

Anybody going on Friday? I can't find anybody who wants to see it LOL

^Too bad it's not 3.5 stars from Wesley Morris, he's quite stingy when it comes to rating movies that have been well-received elsewhere.

Saw it last night, but no 3D. Surprisingly, it was never particularly boring throughout - there's enough action, pretty visuals and extremely light comic relief to make sure of that, and the battles are, to say the least, rad. A lot of the CGi was either over or under done, however, and as you can imagine, the characters were terribly shallow, which at least made none of them particularly unlikable. And although the ending seems to be intended as happy, it's instead eerily depressing. Nonetheless, it's an enjoyable romp and not a bad way to spend eleven hours.

Watched the film yesterday in 3D. Visually it's a marvel, if I see it again it will be to spend more time in its rich, immersive alien world. I just adored watching all those landscapes, creatures, flora etc. Although the effects are amazing I didn't think they were *quite* there with the alien characters' faces, especially when it cuts between them and the real-life actors and you get to see the nuances of expressions and tiny details that the computer-generated faces just can't have. Storyline was painfully trite, the characters were pretty much cardboard cutouts and the corporate baddie was just as cringeworthy as Billy Zane's character in Titanic, but on the other hand it never felt soulless either and corny as they were some moments were genuinely emotional. And it was great to see Sigourney Weaver on big screen again :heart:

You know, the criticisms from the people that aren't screaming "MASTERPIECE!" seem to be the same ones people had with the Star Wars prequels, and I'm wondering why Cameron is getting more of a pass than Lucas did for the same issues.

Back
Top Bottom