Indiana Jones - I believe this is worthy of its own thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
indianajones.com is reporting that the trailer will be released this Thursday, the 14th.

It'll air first between 8am and 9am on Good Morning America ( :der: ), then it'll be available on indianajones.com. After that, it'll be out in theaters.

WAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Three new pics from an Italian magazine:

36264522rc3.jpg

61263924bd3.jpg

30650237at2.jpg

Only the bottom one really does anything for me. And that quicksand/snake one is just begging for some goofy captions! :lol:

A lot of these pictures look atrocious.

The bottom one there is pretty good though. Has a nice Raiders vibe.

I kind of agree. For me, I think part of it is that they seem so lucidly clear----I'm used to seeing Indy in a kind of washed-over, grainy way...even the dvds. I think I recall Spielberg or Lucas saying that they actually did put a "finish" on the film that made it not look so crisp and clear like current films do & so it'd fit visually with the previous three. Hopefully, that's true & it doesn't come out in the pictures since they're not screencaps. :hmm:

I think keeping Kaminski as DP was a bad idea. I understand loyalty, but he just does not have a style that goes well with the pulp thing they're going for. There are plenty of available cinematographers who would have been perfect for this.

Meh.

Sure as hell wasn't no Star Wars teaser.

30 seconds of old footage, followed by some move that looked like it was out of Die Hard.

Ford still doesn't appear to have lightened up. He can't even sell the funny lines anymore.

This may have a cool story, but I'm saying it right now: Ford is going to be the weak link of this thing.

I can't Wait! Looks awesome and thank god it's not over saturated in CGI like Star Wars (Bleh)

we saw very, very little of the film, and i think the rope/whip swinging stuff in what i assume is the room where the Ark was put at the end of Raiders looks amazing. we also (hopefully) got some of the cheesiest lines, and they weren't even on the same planet of appauling barfness as the worst parts of "Clones."

i think this will be good. i do. in this kind of genre, i trust Spielberg absolutely.

I thought that trailer was complete shit.

Aside from the unnecessary old footage, nothing from the new film looked remotely exciting or promising. What we saw of Ford was far from compelling, and I think I agree with Laz here as well. Good thing we didn't see much of Shia, but it's safe to assume he'll suck as much as he has in everything else he's done. Ray Winestone and Blanchett will pretty much have to carry this film it seems, so it's a good thing they're two of the more talented actors working today.

The shots in the warehouse are just depressing. Why revisit such an iconic image from the best film in the series? All I see it doing is cheapening it. And from what I've heard of them tying the mythos of this film with that of Close Encounters, this whole thing is starting to reek of cheap self-indulgence.

The action seen in the trailer seems to suffer from a lot of the problems we see in most modern action flicks, and I also agree with Laz that Kaminski may have been a poor choice for this flick. And I thought all the specific effects were going to be practical in this one? I noticed a lot of CGI in the trailer, given the approach I thought Lucas and Speilberg were taking here.

Oh well, I don't have a lot good to say about this trailer so I'll just stop now. I'll still be seeing it, since I'm still interested in Speilberg's work, and I'm a huge Winestone/Blanchett supporter. But other than that, I predict some massive phail coming from this flick.

:sad:

This trailer is as cheesy as it gets. The unbelievably corny taglines at the beginning (you know that Indiana Jones saved the world from the Nazis, right?) and then cut to the American flag in the wind looks like it was nicked from a worst possible cliche book. Ford looks tired (what happened to his voice? Not only does he look old, he sounds old) and the action sequences are laughable. Not that the first three movies were intelligent, but they at least were very entertaining.

Irvine511 said:
we saw very, very little of the film, and i think the rope/whip swinging stuff in what i assume is the room where the Ark was put at the end of Raiders looks amazing. we also (hopefully) got some of the cheesiest lines, and they weren't even on the same planet of appauling barfness as the worst parts of "Clones."

i think this will be good. i do. in this kind of genre, i trust Spielberg absolutely.

Exactly.

I loved the aerial shots of the whip-swing. People forget they're trying to sell this to a new group of people, not just Indy fans. It's sick, but I know a good bunch of people who haven't seen any Indy flick... it's ridiculous, but that's what trailers are meant for.

If that teaser changed your opinion on the whole movie, then that's your problem.

lazarus said:
Meh.

Sure as hell wasn't no Star Wars teaser.

30 seconds of old footage, followed by some move that looked like it was out of Die Hard.

Ford still doesn't appear to have lightened up. He can't even sell the funny lines anymore.

This may have a cool story, but I'm saying it right now: Ford is going to be the weak link of this thing.

lol are you Lazarus Long?

Come on, Ford can't even sell the funny lines anymore. It's not that he looks to old, where's the charm? Plus we get some kind of Die Hard gymnastic bullshit? I'm not sold.

Last edited:
i've watched it probably a dozen times today. it does it's job perfectly.

all it is is a teaser. it reminds you of who IJ is, it reorients you with the iconography (whip, hat), it has some echoes of the previous movies (silhouette, big room, natives running after him), it reminds you that it's been a long time (the corny stuff), and it then gives you a quick visual taste of what's to come and it shows off Spielberg's almost trademarked dimensionality in what are rather coherent looking action sequences. the theme kicks in, you get the thrill ... and you want more.

it's not even a trailer. it's a tease. i'm eager to see more.

of course the movie could suck. don't like the title much. and if there's more than one more "gosh i'm so old" jokes, then i'm not going to be happy. i didn't like the "Private Ryan"-esque American flag shot. but whatever.

it bodes well for a fun, worthy movie. we're not going to get "Raiders" again. i'd be happy for something better than "Doom" and up there with "Crusade."

Yes it's a teaser, but for a teaser it shows a hell of a lot of different clips from the actual film, which automatically puts them up for analysis and critique. Nothing shown in the trailer seems to bode well for the film.

And it's worth talking about its service as a teaser. This video really has no idea what it's trying to accomplish. It's a shitty teaser in that sense as well. A good teaser takes a singular or maybe two elements of a film, strikes a chord or excitement or anticipation in the audience, promising something more than what we're seeing. Take the Star Trek teaser for a recent comparison. Simple theme music, builds to a crescendo, Singular line of dialogue and a shot of the Enterprise. It gets right down to the very core of the film without any exposition or montage. Same with the original Dark Knight teaser. Music, snippet of dialogue building to the finish with the Bat symbol bursting into fragments signifying the entrance of the Joker. Or a different route like the Youth Without Youth teaser, which features a beautiful slideshow of images from the film, along with the short clip of music and singular line of dialogue to compliment the atmosphere conjured by the imagery.

This trailer starts out with what was essentially the same teaser we've seen before for these films, but then continues with an incoherent series of clips from the finished product, highlighting (hopefully...yeah right) the worst parts of the film, with no real goal or finish line. At the same time it fails as a regular trailer because it offers absolutely no insight into the specifics of the film or provides any sort of restrained narrative summary like the best trailers do.

Lancemc said:
Yes it's a teaser, but for a teaser it shows a hell of a lot of different clips from the actual film, which automatically puts them up for analysis and critique. Nothing shown in the trailer seems to bode well for the film.

And it's worth talking about its service as a teaser. This video really has no idea what it's trying to accomplish. It's a shitty teaser in that sense as well. A good teaser takes a singular or maybe two elements of a film, strikes a chord or excitement or anticipation in the audience, promising something more than what we're seeing. Take the Star Trek teaser for a recent comparison. Simple theme music, builds to a crescendo, Singular line of dialogue and a shot of the Enterprise. It gets right down to the very core of the film without any exposition or montage. Same with the original Dark Knight teaser. Music, snippet of dialogue building to the finish with the Bat symbol bursting into fragments signifying the entrance of the Joker. Or a different route like the Youth Without Youth teaser, which features a beautiful slideshow of images from the film, along with the short clip of music and singular line of dialogue to compliment the atmosphere conjured by the imagery.

This trailer starts out with what was essentially the same teaser we've seen before for these films, but then continues with an incoherent series of clips from the finished product, highlighting (hopefully...yeah right) the worst parts of the film, with no real goal or finish line. At the same time it fails as a regular trailer because it offers absolutely no insight into the specifics of the film or provides any sort of restrained narrative summary like the best trailers do.

I don't know. When the analysis of the teaser takes longer to read out loud than the length of the teaser, maybe we're overanalyzing it, on both ends.

We're all gonna go see it anyway.

Whatever. Just going on record now. I predict a wholly disappointing film. When I have a strong negative reaction to a PROMOTIONAL material for a highly anticipated film that most people seems to be clamoring all over with great admiration, it feel the need to elaborate. Because to be honest, I haven't seen a well-explained reaction anywhere yet detailing what's so great about it either. :shrug:

Lancemc said:
Whatever. Just going on record now. I predict a wholly disappointing film. When I have a strong negative reaction to a PROMOTIONAL material for a highly anticipated film that most people seems to be clamoring all over with great admiration, it feel the need to elaborate. Because to be honest, I haven't seen a well-explained reaction anywhere yet detailing what's so great about it either. :shrug:

I am not sure that required a Whatever, Lance.

Just think we're all overdoing it. I did not think it was awesome, did not think it sucked. I have no idea if the movie will tank, or be awesome, and this teaser is certainly not evidence for me to judge one way or the other. If you can glean more about a film's future than I can from a teaser, that's no surprise to me, I'm not as knowledgable about the genre as you are, my passion for it aside. You and Laz might be right, it might suck, I'm not saying it will not.

I'm just saying it's being overanalyzed. :shrug:

I don't think it can be over-analyzed until someone starts gleaming insights from it that simply are not there to be gleamed. And what's the harm anyway? It's worthy of discussion. I see this claim a lot around these boards, that a particular video, or song or album or whatever is being over-analyzed. Seems to be a part of the reason we're here though, I dunno. If someone's able to interpret a text to a certain degree without pulling stuff out their ass, I think it only adds life to the forum. I wish more people would take the time to do it. I'm not pointing fingers here, and I'm sort of ranting, but it's just another thing I've noticed recently around here, moreso in B&C and the ever-frightening U2 sections of the forum. In most cases it seems like people use that claim as a backdoor out of a debate or uncormfortable discussion. You're obviously not doing that now... just saying.

/rant

Back
Top Bottom