Fuck Peter king!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dabiggestu2fan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Just wanted to vent and say what an asshole this guy is. He may not like MJ but how can you say those things on TV when he is a senator and people are still mourning MJ. Sure there is soo much MJ coverage and he may be sick of it but to say that those things is just disgraceful. I hope he gets a big backlash and damages his career!

Okey vent is over! Feel free to close this thread mods if you think it is inappropriate!

Nico

He's wrong if he thinks this is what politicans need to be spending their time on. I think the people who elected him wouldn't put this as their top priority.

Its also wrong for any of us to say that the praise/memory of him is unjustified because of his weirdness, and the allegations. Sure he was weird, but we will never fully understand his life/personality. The one thing we can look it is just how innovative a dancer and singer he was, and how much he brought the music world together, and increased what it meant to be a pop superstar for better or worse. There will never be anyone that can have that level of impact anymore, and in the end we should remember people for what we knew of them.

Peter King "leaning against" run for Senate

BY REID J. EPSTEIN
8:43 PM EDT, June 30, 2009

Rep. Peter King said Tuesday the odds of him challenging Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand in 2010 are now "less than 50-50" after he was appointed to the House intelligence committee.

King (R-Seaford) said he told House Minority Leader John Boehner (R- Ohio) that he "probably" will not run for the Senate and spoke pessimistically about his ability to raise enough money for a statewide race.

"I'm probably leaning against it," King said. "There's no doubt I want to run. On the other hand I don't know if I can raise the $30 [million] to $40 million I'd need. Most people don't know who I am, the values I represent."

Still, he called Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) "very unpopular" in New York and said she could be an easy mark for a well-financed Republican. Any opponent, he said, would seek to tie her to African American Gov. David A. Paterson, who appointed her to the seat in January and has low poll numbers. "For an incumbent senator, I don't know if anyone has lower numbers. She can be very vulnerable," King said.

Gillibrand spokeswoman Bethany Lesser declined to comment.

I dont have a definitive opinion either way on Michael. I don't know if he did anything wrong. Neither do any of us. Let's mourn the loss for his family, and the loss to the music world and ignore the other stuff..

I must say though, for a SENATOR to say that, he has to resign immediately. The burden of proof principle, and the very basis of a civilised rule of law is that the courts are always right, and that people are innocent until proven guilty. So WHAT THE FUCK is a member of the Government saying that DIRECTLY CONTRADICTS a court ruling doing???

He is a member of the system he doesn't trust. He has no morals and must resign

He doesn't have faith in the legal system, if he says stuff like that. Seems like a prick and a half.

I agree, he is a law maker himself yet he goes against what the law said on MJ. It is very wrong. And those comments he said and how he called MJ a low life.. make him way more of a low life/low class person himself. Someone with class would never say such things about someone who just died and everyone is mourning.

So-oooo.....let me get this straight: you're calling this senator a low-life for calling Michael Jackson a low life, a man who admitted there's nothing wrong with sleeping in bed with children—regardless of the allegations— and for saying that people and the media should be honouring and focusing on the real heroes, the men and women who put their lives on the line each and every day.

And he's right. There's been wall-to-wall coverage of Jackson's death, meanwhile, everything else has been put on the backburner. And that just speaks to the sad state that the media, and society as a whole, is in right now.

Priorities, people. Priorities....

I agree, he is a law maker himself yet he goes against what the law said on MJ. It is very wrong. And those comments he said and how he called MJ a low life.. make him way more of a low life/low class person himself. Someone with class would never say such things about someone who just died and everyone is mourning.

Not everyone is in mourning.
King has a right to his opinion, no matter how uneloquently he may have presented it. There are many who are not fans of Jackson the man, many who believe at his best he was a very disturbed individual who had some odd practices with underage house guests and at his worst was a child molester who beat 2 raps, 1 with money and 1 with a smitten jury.
So for those in that camp, seeing all the praise heaped on him can be be a bit much and King is making his point that there are others who deserve recognition.

Didn't he later put out a second statement backing off a bit, saying that he shouldn't have said the stuff about child molestor? I thought I saw something about that on the news last night.

The point is no one will know, so we celebrate what we did know, the positive he did. And as I said this is not what our lawmakers need to be devoting their time to (a comment here or there sure, but when you say something like that, it then requires a lot more time), and as dan_smee said, he is showing a lack of belief in the system he was elected to be a part of, that's back-handed and unprofessional.

Of course, if he's that categorical on something like this, I doubt he's one for really making informed decisions, seems like a gut, public-perception decision maker to me, the scary thing about many politicians and voters.

I partially agree with King. There has been media overkill over MJ's death. Yes, he was a super talented entertainer, but to have 24/7 coverage of him is too much. Soldiers are being killed in Afghanistan, Al Franken is in the Senate, ethnic riots are going on in China. Why not give them more than a mere mention in the hourly updates?

I hope that after today's memorial, the media would cool off on Michael's death, and give it equal coverage to the other stories.

As for MJ' being a "pervert", I do agree there's no solid proof of him being a pedophile, despite his very suspicious behavior. We could only wonder until there is something that completely says, yeah he molested children.

I think King had the right to say what he said. As a senator hopeful, he should exercise his freedom of speech, and as democratic citizens we should respect that.

He's absolutely right with regard to the media coverage. It's ridiculous - as are the celebrity obsessed 'mourners'.

I've just learned my local butcher has died. I'm going to hold a candlelight vigil in front of his shop, maybe even invite the media. I loved his pork dips.

It's ridiculous - as are the celebrity obsessed 'mourners'.

I'm about as far from celebrity obsessed as you can get. I cant stand TMZ and all that other bullshit 'news coverage' of people who just happen to be famous. Its got nothing to do with that. It has to do with his music having such a profound affect on my childhood. I listen to some of his songs and memories that I havent thought about in years come back. Memories from when I was growing up. Watching the Thriller video in the basement on my own because I loved it, but then burying my head in the couch for 20 minutes afterward because it also scared the shit out of me. My cousin and I putting on a fake concert to the Bad tape infront of relatives at Christmas time. Hiding the Thriller record from my aunt when she came to babysit us because she would play it non stop every time(even though I liked it). The entire Bad album reminds me of summer holidays when my cousin and I would have multi night sleep overs. MJ was pretty much the soundtrack to the first 10 years of my life. I wouldnt say I'm mourning his passing as I would a relative, but it makes me sad to think that that guy is gone now. If his or someones else's music cant do something similar for you, then I feel sorry for you

Love the music, not the musician (or the 'entertainer' in Jackson's case). Watching the news, I get the impression it's the other way round for most people.

Love the music, not the musician (or the 'entertainer' in Jackson's case). Watching the news, I get the impression it's the other way round for most people.

He wrote music too, so he is a musician (thats not meant to be snooty)

I really get the opposite impression. I've heard the phrase 'remember the music' countless times since he died.

But whatever, you're entitled to your opinion

There's no basis for not loving MJ for more than just the music, he's done way more for this world than you likely ever will. And by the way, we typically call people who write songs musicians, not just entertainers. Have you written any songs that touch people the way his music did? That's a special gift, and it speaks to a larger beauty within that MJ also demonstrated in many ways offstage.

Ironically enough, it's usually the people who contribute the least to this world who are the most judgmental and that can't understand or appreciate the hugeness of a heart like MJs.

Quincy Jones is the real genius behind Jackson's music (hell, even the British songwriter Rod Temperton who wrote the career defining 'Thriller' without Jackson's input). Before and after Jones, it all tastes a little too sugary.

By the way, I too adored Jackson's music as a kid. Whenever I hear 'Dirty Diana' etc I'm taken back to my school holidays spent playing football with friends and raiding the local sweet shop (I can still smell the sherbet flying saucers and Batman-shaped candy). The same goes for Madonna's music.

There's no basis for not loving MJ for more than just the music, he's done way more for this world than you likely ever will. And by the way, we typically call people who write songs musicians, not just entertainers. Have you written any songs that touch people the way his music did? That's a special gift, and it speaks to a larger beauty within that MJ also demonstrated in many ways offstage.

Ironically enough, it's usually the people who contribute the least to this world who are the most judgmental and that can't understand or appreciate the hugeness of a heart like MJs.
Oh, give me a fucking break.

Hey, just because he didn't touch you as a child like Jackson touched so many, there's no reason to make fun of the honest feelings I have toward my butcher's produce.

Quincy Jones is the real genius behind Jackson's music (hell, even the British songwriter Rod Temperton who wrote the career defining 'Thriller' without Jackson's input).

Jackson wrote Wanna Be Startin Something, Girl is Mine (with McCartney), Beat It, and Billie Jean. Temperton only wrote Thriller (the song....sure, an epic song), Baby Be Mine, and Lady in My Life. If you ask me, The Jackson songs are superior to the Temperton ones

Jackson wrote Wanna Be Startin Something, Girl is Mine (with McCartney), Beat It, and Billie Jean. Temperton only wrote Thriller (the song....sure, an epic song), Baby Be Mine, and Lady in My Life. If you ask me, The Jackson songs are superior to the Temperton ones
But are the post-Jones era songs superior to those Jones had an enormous hand in?

Quincy Jones is the real genius behind Jackson's music

If Jones had his way, Billie Jean would never had been released.

To me, that is his greatest song, the real turning point in his career.

It was Billie Jean that M J used to introduce the moonwalk.

"Billie Jean" is a dance-pop R&B song by American recording artist Michael Jackson. It was written by Jackson and produced by Quincy Jones for the singer's sixth solo album, Thriller (1982). Originally disliked by Jones, the track was almost removed from the album after he and Jackson had numerous disagreements. The song's lyrics refer to a real-life experience, in which a mentally ill female fan claimed that Jackson fathered one of her twins. The song is well known for its distinctive bass line and Jackson's vocal hiccups.

you seem intend on trying to diminish M J's contributions and accomplishments, that is my impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom