Fringe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gvox

Ghost of Love
Hey sorry if this has been discussed...I did a search but didn't find anything..

Don't laugh, I don't watch a hell of a lot of TV series lol

I saw this ad during the ball game last night for "Fringe" and was intrigued

But I guess it's into Season 2...any thoughts on it? Good, bad? Great??

Wondering if it's worth the bandwidth to down....I mean...buy it! :shifty:

:wink:

I think it's a good show--a worthy successor to the X-Files. The characters are interesting and well-acted. There's a good conspiracy theme that seems to be played out just enough in each episode to keep things interesting.

:up:

It's pretty important to check out the first season though--Not impossible to follow just the second season solo, but you'll enjoy it more after the first.

Mark

Agreed, definitely get the first season and watch that. I know there's a set on either mininova or pirate bay, one of those, the torrent's around 6GB or so.

I think it's pretty good. Not great, it does have an X-Files feel to it, though from what I've seen of the X-Files I like better than Fringe (I should probably hunt down the X-Files series sometime but that really would kill the bandwidth...maybe next summer).

I'm working through Season 1 now. I find the show "ok to good". Very X-Files, but with seemingly less filler. Everything seems to be tied together in one way or another. But I find the X-Files overall a better show - though with only 1 season of Fringe done, that may not be fair.

Well I got eo1 and 02 downloaded..gonna watch them first..the entire set was 23 GB (that I found) and with an 80gb cap I have to be selective...but you guys are usually good with opinions and all, so thanks, appreciate it!! :up:

The second season has been very good so far.

About last night's episode (Nov. 5):
My worry for Fringe is that it will have too many episodes like X-Files that don't advance the conspiracy. I thought maybe last night's might be one until...THE CIA GROWS A PAIR AND WHIPS IT OUT! Good potential for conflict. :up:

What the?? Ok, I'm not even clicking on that spoiler, I thought you told me to watch S01 first! :lol:

Got thru the first two episodes. I'm interested, which is a good thing. I think I'll keep watching.

I don't like Olivia but I can't really place why I don't like her...I feel she's overacting sometimes and she bonded waaayyy too quickly with Peter. Like, first episode? That's a bit much. Also, I feel Peter's inclusion in the 'team' is sketchy and him getting to waltz around crime scenes and gather evidence (ie episode 2) is a bit much. Does he even know how to fire a weapon? Wait - he doesn't as we find out :lol:

All in all though, I'm still interested..

Oh...and I think the location names on the screen in those big blocks is a bit much. But that's getting really picky..

Good advice so far guys...wait till I get caught up to start with the spoilers, will ya? :wink:

Ok I'll be honest, the cheesy fill crap and the budding romance who noone gives a fuck about has got to go. Episode 6 (s01) almost caused me to quit watching altogether. 8 and 9 have me back on track. I hope there are less of these moments in season 2.

I actually like the block letter locations.

I know there's a smaller torrent but if you're that far in it's probably not worth it. I honestly thought the whole process of Olivia being in the "Fringe Division" was really rushed, not just the quick inclusion of Peter...it was like she was just a regular old agent and Broyles just promoted her up about 5 levels. But you get used to it...I really like Walter.

I didn't go for the 23 gb season one. I've been d'lng the 350 mb average files per show, and they are showing great on my modded xbox thru the 42 inch so I'm happy just doing 3-4 episodes at a time and then catching up.

Walter is funny. I was just about to throw something at the screen when he said "if I only had a lab" for the fucking 10th time and then he responded "I know" with a sly smile when he was reminded that his was reopened. So hopefully that line can be put to rest for a while :lol:

I got into another show (1 episode) yesterday also: Breaking Bad. What a great opener, I'm almost hooked with only one episode! :up:

Walter is funny. I was just about to throw something at the screen when he said "if I only had a lab" for the fucking 10th time and then he responded "I know" with a sly smile when he was reminded that his was reopened. So hopefully that line can be put to rest for a while :lol:

He has some awesome lines.
I think he is a hell of an actor, too--Completely believable in his slipping from genius to madness.

Ok um. Am I just obtuse, is there some bigger/deeper meaning that I'm just too dunce to comprehend, or did Season 1 just fucking jump the shark somewhere from about midpoint episode 19 onward?

As I'm typing this I'm waiting for Season 2 E1 to d/l but frankly...the twin towers at the end of Season 1. I mean....realllllly?

This better be good.

It's gotten a little weird. I can't decide if I'd rather they just stuck with solving weird cases or dig deeper into this ongoing plotline. And I'm 2-3 eps behind in season 2 actually, I'm just not as into it as I was.

Agreed, definitely get the first season and watch that. I know there's a set on either mininova or pirate bay, one of those, the torrent's around 6GB or so.

I think it's pretty good. Not great, it does have an X-Files feel to it, though from what I've seen of the X-Files I like better than Fringe (I should probably hunt down the X-Files series sometime but that really would kill the bandwidth...maybe next summer).

X-Files DVDs are super cheap in their repackaged form. I see them all the time for $19.99 per season and that's in Canadian dollars. When they first went on the market, X-Files season sets (reportedly the first of any TV series on DVD) were $169. That's an incredible bargain!

Also a hell of a lot better than "Fringe", which I detest. It reeks of Abrams' formula. Where X-Files was subtle and suspenseful. "Fringe" grosses me out by being so overt. And there's the cheesy partnering of the "Dawson's Creek" guy and the blonde overly serious woman that's trying to be Mulder and Scully; he even gives a speech about feeling committed to their work because some case made him feel like he found his calling because he wanted to uncover some mystery. Then there's the alien bald guy, who's not interesting at all.

The dad is okay, but he's too often used for conveniently light-hearted moments that are very formulaic and in all Abrams' work. The background characters are all dull.

This is trying so hard to be The X-Files, but X-Files had real heart behind it and political conviction, including an informed sense of leeriness about US foreign policy and the military industrial complex. Abrams and his Transformers writers are just trying to ape The X-Files. They have "terrorism", but it doesn't resemble anything in our world because there are no proper motives given. The bad guys are just nefarious for the sake of it. If you've seen "Alias" and hated it as much as I did, you should stay away from this.

If you enjoy it, go ahead.

Ok um. Am I just obtuse, is there some bigger/deeper meaning that I'm just too dunce to comprehend, or did Season 1 just fucking jump the shark somewhere from about midpoint episode 19 onward?

As I'm typing this I'm waiting for Season 2 E1 to d/l but frankly...the twin towers at the end of Season 1. I mean....realllllly?

This better be good.
I CAN'T be good because Abrams is all about shock and awe. He doesn't care about political commentary or deeper meanings. It's all superficial contrivances to serve byzantine conspiracies that are all distractions -- just like "Lost". At its core, The X-Files mythology into Season 6 was about morally ambiguous choices that the syndicate made and how this both pushed them to cover up their conspiracy with the aliens and hate themselves. CSM is very much a tragic figure and cruel in a very believable way.

This better be good.

Stay tuned, I think you'll find it's worth it.

I CAN'T be good because Abrams is all about shock and awe. He doesn't care about political commentary or deeper meanings. It's all superficial contrivances to serve byzantine conspiracies that are all distractions -- just like "Lost". At its core, The X-Files mythology into Season 6 was about morally ambiguous choices that the syndicate made and how this both pushed them to cover up their conspiracy with the aliens and hate themselves. CSM is very much a tragic figure and cruel in a very believable way.

I agree X-Files had more heart behind it, but consider how long they had to develop the relationship between Mulder and Scully.

I like Fringe more than the X-Files right now because it is focused. When I tuned into the X-Files each week, I really didn't know what I'd get: a creature episode or a conspiracy episode, and they rarely overlapped. I'm not knocking the X-Files overall because they had some truly amazing episodes and strings of episodes, but I think it went on for too long, and there were only so many times I could take Mulder and Scully being close and then not, being killed and then not being dead. (not to mention not capitalizing on the first movie when it came out, in terms of the series)

So, X-Files had better, more likable characters, but so far with Fringe I like that they are weaving the creatures/experiments/whatever into the overall conspiracy and plot. It is well written, both plot and dialogue, and for being only 1.5 seasons in, I think they are doing a good job.

Unfortunately, network TV shows just don't have the luxury of building slowly anymore. I'm still not sure how LOST was able to take the time they did, but it definitely paid off character-wise. The X-Files benefited greatly from a slow build up. But, I think to survive these days, Fringe had to run out of the gate and leave some development in the dust, which is fine because they are doing most other things well.

I agree X-Files had more heart behind it, but consider how long they had to develop the relationship between Mulder and Scully.

I like Fringe more than the X-Files right now because it is focused. When I tuned into the X-Files each week, I really didn't know what I'd get: a creature episode or a conspiracy episode, and they rarely overlapped. I'm not knocking the X-Files overall because they had some truly amazing episodes and strings of episodes, but I think it went on for too long, and there were only so many times I could take Mulder and Scully being close and then not, being killed and then not being dead. (not to mention not capitalizing on the first movie when it came out, in terms of the series)

So, X-Files had better, more likable characters, but so far with Fringe I like that they are weaving the creatures/experiments/whatever into the overall conspiracy and plot. It is well written, both plot and dialogue, and for being only 1.5 seasons in, I think they are doing a good job.

Unfortunately, network TV shows just don't have the luxury of building slowly anymore. I'm still not sure how LOST was able to take the time they did, but it definitely paid off character-wise. The X-Files benefited greatly from a slow build up. But, I think to survive these days, Fringe had to run out of the gate and leave some development in the dust, which is fine because they are doing most other things well.
I totally agree that it went on too long. One of the major problems was David Duchovny leaving and Fox wanting to continue the series. Chris Carter wanted to end with Season 8, but Fox pushed and we got the atrocity that was Season 9. I also consider most of Season 7 garbage.

However, The X-Files was truly original. I don't think there's anything Abrams does which is original -- just a zippy synthesis of stuff he likes with lots of stunt casting. His conspiracies never make any dramatic sense and his friends over at "Lost" haven't faired much better. There's no psychological realism to their work. It's just a byzantine plot. Isn't it tacky how everyone on "Lost" has a remarkably crappy parent, and haven't you found the last season of "Lost" totally plot-driven. There's nothing to which I can relate and everything's a gimmick.

That said, it's a lot better than "Desperate Housewives" or "CSI" or "Grey's Anatomy" or a lot of other crap.

How dare he?!
I think it's laudable when writers actually care about the world and try to teach their audience something, rather than just feed off their desire for cheap escapism, as Abrams always does. To talk constantly about terrorism on a show like "Fringe" and have no sense of responsibility about actually trying to explain it isn't just cheap, but exploitative and just furthers the rightist propaganda machine that seeks to caricature the threats of our time.

What this jackass did to the Star Trek franchise was bad enough. I'll never forgive him for that.

I also recognize that you're a high school student or something, but even you can't be so isolated to not realize that the world is falling apart and much of that has to do with how US pop culture misguides people into continually viewing "the other" in the wrong light.

I think artists have a responsibility to reach for something nobler than just to entertain -- especially when they're making tens of millions of dollars a year that that scumbag Abrams. Even if Abrams wanted to do something more personal, I'd respect him -- said something deeply honest about his experiences -- but he doesn't; it's all so removed and reliant upon formula. With Ronald D. Moore's BSG, you get a very strong sense that he's writing about himself, especially if you listen to the podcast/audio commentaries and I even get a strong sense of suicidality -- that he's allowed his characters to feel that way because he does. It's very powerful.

It's why I respect the Ira Steven Behrs and Ronald D. Moore's of this world. They could have sold out like this guy and made more money, but they didn't.

I could be way off on this but I don't think Abrams has been involved that directly/creatively with Fringe, other than the pilot? I swear I read that/heard that somewhere but I'm too damned lazy to look it up :wink:

Muldfeld I will check out those X-Files DVD's, $20 per season isn't bad at all.

Tonight's episode (Apr 15) was fantastic--on the level of The Constant on LOST.
Peter Weller (Robocop, etc.) guest-starred playing an MIT professor which is fitting because I believe he actually teaches at Syracuse.

Just a great one though, probably the best episode of the series so far.

Glad you bumped this.

I tried this early on, thought it meandered to much, so I quit it.

With not much on T V. I watched the 5-6 episodes on Hulu and was pleasently surprized with how much I enjoyed it.

Also, the episodes they have, pretty much bring you up to speed.

Glad you bumped this.

I tried this early on, thought it meandered to much, so I quit it.

With not much on T V. I watched the 5-6 episodes on Hulu and was pleasently surprized with how much I enjoyed it.

Also, the episodes they have, pretty much bring you up to speed.

I really like the writing of this show, you can argue about the plot, but the characters are unique, interesting and consistent.
Any other show, deep in the second season, and Peter and Agent Dunham ceratinly would have screwed by now. Not that they won't eventually or shouldn't, but the writing is letting their relationship evolve slowly--a rarity on TV. (not that I'm against anything casual, but it's too convenient to throw characters in bed together)

I like the motivation of the characters, too. Where many TV shows have the people violently/quickly react to whatever happened to motivate them in their past, Fringe's characters are more methodical in their quests--kind of like Mulder from the X-Files being motivated by the disappearance of his sister.

So I'm about halfway through Season 1, and enjoying the show for the most part.

A bit of geeky trivia: there's an episode where the mother of the girl that Walter accidentally killed during an experiment (which I think why he was put in the mental institution) contacts him, and the woman who plays her was one of Joshua Jackson's fellow cast members from Dawson's Creek.

I think it starts picking up more in the second half of the first season, Laz, so you have better things ahead of you. I've really been enjoying this season as well, kramwest.

Just watched the episode with Olivia's "test" with the lights and Walter and his manifesto? :shocked:

You were right, Scumbo. This shit just kicked into high gear.

Back
Top Bottom