Film and Movie AWARDS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm so thrilled about "Footnote" being nominated for best foreign film.

I saw it a few months ago and as soon as I left the theater I said "This movie is going to be nominated for an Academy Award...". The acting is very good and the story is very emotional.

I highly recommend this movie - it's truly one of the best Israeli movies ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfsn17MqkBo

Well right, but there was a huge backlash that year because of Weinstein and because of that phony, pro-Scorsese letter Robert Wise signed his name to that appeared in Variety.

I'm guessing without that controversy, it would have at least won for Art Direction, Costumes, Cinematography, Editing, Day-Lewis, and probably Scorsese. Despite the late surge of The Pianist.

More importantly, Hugo doesn't seem to be as divisive. There's no way it's not winning anything.

If Gustavo Santolalla can (undeservingly) win two years in a row, then yeah. I don't even know if the editors names are even printed on the ballot, and regardless people aren't even paying attention to that.

The only other one I could see winning Editing is Hugo. If The Artist wins that or Art Direction, a major, major sweep is happening.

I guess I wasn't aware of the Weinstein-influenced backlash towards Gangs, I assumed it was more because of the film itself being divisive as you said and dark. I still think Day-Lewis wins if he was in Supporting Actor, he might steal most scenes he's in, but DiCaprio is the lead in the movie.

I agree though, Hugo's not going home empty handed, but some people seem to think it's going to challenge for the big categories, I just don't see it.

Also, thanks for pointing out other examples of BP noms without much love elsewhere. The Blind Side fits in with the ELAIC love (though at least audiences embraced that one) sad to see A Serious Man fit into the same niche considering the vast difference in quality.

I am really feeling bad for Albert Brooks,

Oscars 2012: 'Snubbed' Albert Brooks, Patton Oswalt tweet woes

"You don't like me, you really don't like me," Albert Brooks tweeted Tuesday, a few hours after the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences failed to recognize his performance as brutal gangster Bernie Rose in Nicolas Winding Refn's "Drive" with an Oscar nomination. Those nine words were all that fellow rejected actor Patton Oswalt ("Young Adult") need to get him going on a Twitter rant that pretty much encompassed every overlooked actor in this year's Oscar race.

It began with Oswalt asking Brooks to join him for a drink at the Drawing Room. "Me and Serkis have been here since 6 am," he tweeted, referring to Andy Serkis and his failure to obtain an acting nod for his motion-capture work in "Rise of the Planet of the Apes."

"See you later tonight," he continued. "Serkis has Pogues on the jukebox and Fassbender just showed up in a pirate hat." Michael Fassbender was also ignored, with academy voters not recognizing him for his role as a sex addict in the harrowing drama "Shame."

Oswalt was not content to settle with the actors. "We're definitely going to run out of booze. Charlize & Tilda just pulled up in a stolen police car." Neither Charlize Theron nor Tilda Swinton was rewarded for her work in such prickly films as "Young Adult" and "We Need to Talk About Kevin."

His absurdist scene continued, begging Brooks to meet him. "Dude, get down here. Gosling is doing keg stands and Olsen and Dunst literally just emerged from a shower of rose petals."

Ryan Gosling received no love for either of his compelling roles in "The Ides of March" and "Drive." Elizabeth Olsen ("Martha Marcy May Marlene") and Kirsten Dunst ("Melancholia") were unable to crack the competitive lead actress category.

Oswalt then invoked Dunst's controversial director Lars von Trier, who made waves in Cannes last year with some ill-considered remarks on Nazism: "Von Trier just pulled up in a pass van dressed as Goering. 'Let's go to Legoland! With a boozy hurrah, we're out."

Looks like Brooks missed his chance to accompany his fellow snubbies with Oswalt's final tweet. "Oh. My. God. Just pulled up to Legoland. DiCaprio's rented the park for the day. Dibs on the Duplo Gardens!"

no wait, I really don't like whiners, no one is owed a nomination

I am now even more glad he was left out.

Especially since it wasn't all that compelling a performance, had it been played by someone who wasn't primarily known for comedy the character would have been promptly forgotten.

Sure Brooks' performance is inflated by him being a well-known comedic actor playing against type, but his presence looms over the film even in scenes where he's not featured... and he dominates the ones that he's in.

Yeah, I thought they were just having fun.

I used to go to The Drawing Room back in the day. I think David Cross used to hang out there as well. It opens early in the morning, so all the hardcore Los Angeles drinkers go there.

BAFTA Awards - some pretty good wins here

Streep :yawn: I can't see that movie, not a fan of the origonal.
Tinker, Taylor - not that great for me.
Glad to see Tyrannosaur get a win, much better stull than Mike Leigh's recent efforts.

the complete list of winners:

• Best Film: The Artist

• Leading Actor: Jean Dujardin, The Artist

• Leading Actress: Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady

• Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, Beginners

• Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer, The Help

• Director: The Artist, Michel Hazanavicius

• Original Screenplay: The Artist, Michel Hazanavicius

• Adapted Screenplay: Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy, Bridget O' Connor & Peter Straughan

• Film Not in the English Language: The Skin I Live In

• Animated Film: Rango

• Outstanding British Film: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

• Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer: Tyrannosaur, Paddy Considine (Director), Diarmid Scrimshaw (Producer)

• Music: The Artist

• Cinematography: The Artist

• Editing: Senna

• Production Design: Hugo

• Costume Design: The Artist

• Sound: Hugo

• Special Visual Effects: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows-Part 2

• Makeup & Hair: The Iron Lady

• Short Film: Pitch Black Heist

• The Orange Rising Star Award: Adam Deacon

• Academy Fellowship: Martin Scorsese

• Short Animation: A Morning Stroll

• Documentary: Senna
Read more: 2012 BAFTAS: Did The Artist Silence the Competition? - Red Carpet | E!Online

I'm disappointed they didn't take this as an opportunity to heap on the praise for Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. The Artist is endearing of course, but it's an exercise, TTSS is top to bottom quality I hop gains a lasting legacy.

'A Separation' Tops International Cinephile Society Awards | Filmmakers, Film Industry, Film Festivals, Awards & Movie Reviews | Indiewire

A shame that Mysteries of Libson didn't fare better considering all the noms it had. But still the best picks of the year.

PICTURE
01. A Separation
02. The Tree of Life
03. Mysteries of Lisbon
04. Certified Copy
05. Weekend
06. Margaret
07. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
08. Drive
09. Meek’s Cutoff
10. Hugo
11. Melancholia

DIRECTOR
Terrence Malick – The Tree of Life
runner-up: Asghar Farhadi – A Separation

FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
01. A Separation
02. Mysteries of Lisbon
03. Certified Copy
04. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
05. The Skin I Live In
06. Poetry
07. House of Pleasures
08. Le Havre
09. Le Quattro Volte
10. Of Gods and Men

ACTOR
Tom Cullen – Weekend
runner-up: Peyman Moaadi – A Separation

ACTRESS
Anna Paquin – Margaret
runner-up: Juliette Binoche – Certified Copy

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Brad Pitt – The Tree of Life
runner-up: Shahab Hosseini – A Separation

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
J. Smith-Cameron – Margaret
runner-up: Jessica Chastain – Take Shelter

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
A Separation – Asghar Farhadi
runner-up: Weekend – Andrew Haigh

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Mysteries of Lisbon – Carlos Saboga and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy – Bridget O’Connor, Peter Straughan
runner-up: The Skin I Live In – Agustín Almodóvar, Pedro Almodóvar

CINEMATOGRAPHY
The Tree of Life – Emmanuel Lubezki
runner-up: Mysteries of Lisbon – André Szankowski

EDITING
The Tree of Life – Hank Corwin, Jay Rabinowitz, Daniel Rezende, Billy Weber, Mark Yoshikawa
runner-up: Drive – Matthew Newman

PRODUCTION DESIGN
The Mill and the Cross – Marcel Slawinski, Katarzyna Sobanska-Strzalkowska
runner-up: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy – Maria Djurkovic

ORIGINAL SCORE
Drive – Cliff Martinez
runners-up: Mysteries of Lisbon – Jorge Arriagada and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy – Alberto Iglesias

ENSEMBLE
A Separation
runner-up: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

ANIMATED FILM
Rango
runner-up: Winnie the Pooh

DOCUMENTARY
The Autobiography of Nicolae Ceausescu
runner-up: Nostalgia for the Light

BEST PICTURE NOT RELEASED IN 2011
• Alps
• Century of Birthing
• Declaration of War
• The Deep Blue Sea
• Elena
• Faust
• The Kid with a Bike
• Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
• This Is Not a Film
• The Turin Horse

There are some decent winners in that list and some good nominations

I am starting to agree with Woody Allen, that it is not possible to quantify "a best" in art. I am more and more just glad to see films I like get nominated.

Of course when a piece of crap like 'Gump' wins, I do get agitated.

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — When Adam Sandler's bad, he's really bad, according to voters for the Razzies, an Academy Awards spoof that singles out the worst movies of the year.

Sandler received a record 11 nominations Saturday for the Razzies as star, producer or writer on three 2011 movies – "Jack and Jill," "Just Go with It" and "Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star."

That more than doubled the previous record of five Razzie nominations held by Eddie Murphy for 2007's "Norbit."

Sandler's nominations include worst actor for both "Jack and Jill" and "Just Go with It" – and worst actress for "Jack and Jill," in which he plays a family man and his own twin sister.

Sandler also had two nominations as worst screen couple opposite Jennifer Aniston or Brooklyn Decker in "Just Go with It" and opposite Katie Holmes, Al Pacino or himself in "Jack and Jill."

As a producer, Sandler was credited with worst-picture and worst prequel, remake, rip-off or sequel nominations for both "Bucky Larson" and "Jack and Jill." He also shared in worst-screenplay nominations as a writer on both movies, and a worst-ensemble nomination for "Jack and Jill."

"It's almost karmic for someone to have made that much razz-able stuff in one year," said Razzies founder John Wilson. "He has angered someone really powerful, I would say."

Along with "Bucky Larson" and "Jack and Jill," worst-picture contenders are "New Year's Eve," "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" and "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1."

"Jack and Jill" led with 12 nominations, with "Transformers" second with nine and "Breaking Dawn" right behind with eight.

Razzie nominations were released on the eve of the Oscars. Winners will be announced on April Fool's Day.

For worst actor, Sandler is up against "Bucky Larson" star Nick Swardson, along with Russell Brand for "Arthur"; Nicolas Cage for "Drive Angry," "Season of the Witch" and "Trespass"; and Taylor Lautner for "Abduction" and "Breaking Dawn."

Swardson also was nominated for worst supporting actor for "Jack and Jill" and "Just Go with It."

For worst actress, Sandler is joined by another cross-dressing actor, Martin Lawrence in "Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son." Also nominated were Sarah Palin for her documentary "The Undefeated" :lol: ; Sarah Jessica Parker for "I Don't Know How She Does It" and "New Year's Eve"; and Kristen Stewart for "Breaking Dawn."

Several Oscar winners made the Razzies list, among them Cage (a best-actor winner for "Leaving Las Vegas") and Pacino (a best-actor winner for "Scent of a Woman"), who was nominated for worst supporting actor for "Jack and Jill."

Bill Condon, an Oscar winner for his "Gods and Monsters" screenplay, was among the worst-director nominees at the Razzies for "Breaking Dawn."

Back
Top Bottom