Bond: Quantum of Solace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. Indy IV
2. The Dark Knight
3. Pineapple Express
4. Burn After Reading
5. Quantum of Solace

on my list of Most Anticipated for 2008. Those are the ones I absolutely have to see the first night that I can think of right now.

Quantum Of Solace + The Dark Knight = badass year for films.

Wall-E looks like the best animated film so far.

For me

1. Indy IV
2. X-Files
3. Frost/Nixon (Mia and I saw the Broadway play :D)
4. Quantum of Solace
5. Dark Knight

This is going to be pretty much the best year ever for me movie wise...i've never had so many things to get excited about.

I think Star Trek was moved to '09 so my head wouldn't explode from the amount of awesome it would have to take in.

Then there's the Star Wars animated movie, Iron Man, Tropic Thunder, Benjamin Button, and Step Brothers. Holy shitballs.

Last edited:
Benjamin Button is without a doubt my most anticipated this year. I love Fincher, Pitt, Blanchett, and most importantly, F. Scott Fitzgerald. I can't fucking wait.

after that, probably The Dark Knight more than anything else. There's no way Indy is going to satisfy as much as anyone wants it too, where I have no doubts Christopher Nolan is going to deliver the goods, and with the presence of Ledger should probably be able to top the first one.

This might make me a horrible person, but I kind of relish the moment when everyone realizes Indy 4 isn't nearly as good as everyone had dreamed, and I possibly walk out pleasantly surprised given my absurdly low expectations at this point.

Benjamin Button is another huge one though, along with the obvious Dark Knight, Quantom Of Solace, Wall-E, etc. And I can't wait for Speed Racer. Hellboy II, X-Files, Brothers Bloom, blah blah blah, yeah should be a good year.

Oh and Synecdoche, New York if God wills it.

Kind of like the Die Hard sequel, I'm just happy if Indy IV is better than Temple of Doom and close to the level of Last Crusade.

There's no way it will top Raiders.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Kind of like the Die Hard sequel, I'm just happy if Indy IV is better than Temple of Doom and close to the level of Last Crusade.

There's no way it will top Raiders.

That's probably the best attitude to go into it with. People are seriously foaming at the mouth for this though. If it's as good as Temple of Doom (i.e. not particularly good, but reasonably entertaining nontheless) I'll be satisfied with the film, which will still be a level that would crush most people, seeing as Temple of Doom and Last Crusade really aren't as great as people sort of remember them being. Let's see how a brand new film in the same vein handles without having already been built into many fans consciousness like the old films now are. Plus is has Shia. :barf:

shia_labeouf-743887.jpg

Lancemc said:

That's probably the best attitude to go into it with. People are seriously foaming at the mouth for this though. If it's as good as Temple of Doom (i.e. not particularly good, but reasonably entertaining nontheless) I'll be satisfied with the film, which will still be a level that would crush most people, seeing as Temple of Doom and Last Crusade really aren't as great as people sort of remember them being. Let's see how a brand new film in the same vein handles without having already been built into many fans consciousness like the old films now are. Plus is has Shia. :barf:

You bring up a good point about nostalgia vs. the actual quality.

I've always enjoyed The Last Crusade, even if some of the slapstick gets tired at times - making Marcus retarded for no apparent reason for example. At its heart, it has a great father-son story, thrilling action set pieces, and the Nazis... I hate those guys.

This will be my first experience seeing an Indy movie in a theater, too. That'll be a key part of it for most fans my age.

I was never much of a Last Crusade fan. It's still better than ToD, but I dunno... I never really liked Sean Connery all that much as an actor, the German chick was annoying, Marcus' stupidity was absurd like you said, and parts of the movie feel like a bit of a drag, especially on repeat viewings. It lacks a lot of the charm and unerring visceral momentum and sense of adventure that makes Raiders so damn great. And I have few reasons to believe the new one will be much better than either of the last two. :shrug:

Yeah, from what I've seen from his work, Connery's only got the James Bond-persona, not much depth, but I still enjoy it for what it is. The German chick is obnoxious, but she's no worse than Kate Capshaw. Most of its problems lie in the second half for me - the pacing isn't as consistent as Raiders, but it doesn't try to jam as much random nonsense in like Doom does.

If you guys want to see Connery doing good non-Bond acting in a great film, get a hold of John Huston's mid 70's film The Man Who Would Be King. It's as exciting an adventure movie as any of the Raiders installments, and it actually has a bit more weight to it as it's based on a Rudyard Kipling story. Michael Caine and Christopher Plummer are also in it, if you needed any more incentive.

sjff_03_img1018.jpg

lazarus said:
If you guys want to see Connery doing good non-Bond acting in a great film, get a hold of John Huston's mid 70's film The Man Who Would Be King. It's as exciting an adventure movie as any of the Raiders installments, and it actually has a bit more weight to it as it's based on a Rudyard Kipling story. Michael Caine and Christopher Plummer are also in it, if you needed any more incentive.

sjff_03_img1018.jpg

Sounds good. I'll add it to the queue.

The Man Who Would Be King. One of the greatest films of all time!

Peachy Carnehan: Detriments you call us? Detriments? Well I want to remind you that it was detriments like us that built this bloody Empire AND the Izzat of the bloody Raj. Hats on.

In Bond news, they've now had two accidents in the past week with stuntman filming.

Last edited:
An Aston Martin gets driven into a lake, a crewmember is injured, now another crewmember was stabbed...do you get hazard pay for working on the set of a bond film?

Bond movies, as hit and miss as they tend to be, are movies I never get my hopes up for. Then, if they're good, I'll be pleasantly surprised. No more Star Wars syndrome for me.

Back
Top Bottom