Bojack Horseman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ hell yeah man. This show couldn't possibly be more up your alley. Dark, depressing, extremely funny.

That was a devastating moment LM. I was most sad because it means (surely) that Charlotte won't return and I thought she was a wonderful character. Will be interesting to see how Bojack bounces back in S3, if he does at all.

BH is the perfect midway point between funny, thought-provoking and deeply depressing. I haven't been so engrossed by a cartoon since season 3 of Moral Orel, which I still set as the high bar for insightful character writing. I flipped back and forth between wanting to smile and sob uncontrollably for the entire length of that season. BH is right there with it.

The new season debuts with a higher metascore (92) than last season (90). The hype is real.

Two more hours.

Last edited:
Yep, the entire season is out. That's how Netflix always does it.

So far so great, btw. After a few episodes I'd say it's funnier than much of season 2, but not quite as tightly knit. There's a running narrative as always, but it's more episodic than it has been since the early days.

Everyone keeps hyping up episode 4 like it's the best episode of the show to date, so I'm looking forward to that one.

EDIT: OMG that was indeed one of the coolest episodes of television I've seen in a long time. I highly recommend headphones for that one; the sound design is wonderful. I can't describe it without taking away from the novelty.

OK, now I'm going to bed.

Last edited:
First two eps were great. Seems to have retained all the stuff that made it great but still feels fresh and has a storyline that has momentum.

The second episode had an insane number of inside jokes. Jessica Biel and Justin Timberlake, Krill & Grace, Generic 2007 Pop Song, Mr Peanutbutter's original Blockbuster series...

And I will never tire of the animal jokes. Cuddlywhiskers living in a home fit out with hampster toys, Princess Carolyn "you got me a box! with crinkly paper! how did you know!"

I love all the small jokes going on in the background.

Bojack's at a party, and as he's talking, a snake person leans over and closes his mouth around an entire birthday cake. And then it just sits there in his throat. I rewound that three times.

(I may have also been slightly stoned, so ... )

Episode four was glorious, indeed. Reminded me of other bottle episodes like Fly from Breaking Bad or one of a handful of Community episodes.

Also quite liked the song that played over the credits; shazam'd it, anyone heard of Oberhofer?

I feel like so far (I'm up to ep 6) it's not packing as much of an emotional punch (aside from the baby seahorse and Bojack's fly-by mention of Charlotte) but I think it's funnier than ever. And more than that the humour's got more subversive. Ep 6, with Aquafina's abortion, and then a TV pundit referencing Todd Akin's "shut that whole thing down" comments from years ago. I like how fearless they are in the jokes, something that I loved about Community.

I hear it gets extremely dark by the end, like season 1.

Gonna try to binge watch the whole season today, we'll see what happens.

This is a great show indeed. It's really hard for me to call it a comedy, though, because the underlying atmosphere is so, so existentially bleak. It's beyond even a black comedy in that sense.

Through 7 episodes, the abortion one is my least favorite, but it's still fine. It's just more South Park than BoJack. There's something gleeful about the abortion jokes that brings Matt and Trey to mind. On the other hand, there's a reasonably nuanced message in there as well and it never comes across as overly preachy, which is also like the best South Park episodes.

I'm just left feeling like the episode is a bit of a waste by the end because it doesn't add much to the season's arc, nor does it really build on the characters. In general, I find their episodes about social issues (Prickly-Muffin, Chickens) to be solid but seldom favorites because they're lighter and lack the emotional devastation of the more personal episodes. And this one right here is a funny little topical episode, but everything else so far has tapped into what the show does best. This has been a great season, but something has to be the low point.

By the way, I find it very interesting and admirable that they put an episode extolling the virtues of parenthood and a highly pro-choice episode so close together. That was a bold choice.

Last edited:
I thought the LA Gazette episode had a stench to it but they crafted it really well, I was on board with the premise and thought it was pretty clever by the end.

I loved the storytelling in that episode and Candice Bergen was brilliant as The Closer/BoJack's conscience.

Candice Bergen is one of my all-time favorite people. I was so happy when she showed up, and what an amazing character.

I urge everyone trying to blast through this season to pace themselves for the last 3-4 episodes. It's just too much, man. Episode 11 is one of the most heartbreaking half hours of television that I'll probably ever watch. Mostly because 99.9999% of shows aren't willing to go where BJH does.

The finale is way better than last year's, which was an undeniably significant episode with a terrific ending that nonetheless was completely jumbled and overstuffed. This finale was more in line with the tremendous season 1 finale. It juggled several arcs skillfully and gave us a lot of exciting revelations to mull over.

I want to say that BJH is hands down the best animated show out there, but there are a number of other shows that are (or, in the case of Gravity Falls, were) reaching a similar level of quality. We really are in a golden age for TV right now. Enjoy it.

Hooooooooly shit. The end of ep 10, when all the background noise and music cuts out and Todd just says 'fuck, man' hit me like a ton of bricks.

But episode 11, fucking hell. They set you up for
Sarah Lynn's death when they're in the shitty hotel, which means once they get to the planetarium you know it's coming, but it still hits like hell.
Man that shit was heavy.

Episode 12 is definitely extremely skilful, the way they juggle the heavy, heartbreaking shit (backing out on the TV show because "i did this to her / I can't do it again") with some of the season's very best jokes, "the only thing that can save it is hundreds of spaghetti strainers and heaps of cars driven by whales".

Tremendous stuff. To think we are gonna have to wait like a year+ for season four. Does anyone see a way out? How will they fix the stuff with Charlotte and her family? The tension between Bojack and Diane? Bojack and Princess Carolyn? Bojack and Todd? The final scene... freedom in his kind? I didn't really get it but it had reminded me of Walt surveying the stainless steel tanks before he dies.

If anyone comes across any pertinent articles on this season of Bojack, let me know.

And what are the other shows in this golden age, LM?

As far as cartoons go? Cause Venture Bros. is still hands down the best animated show on television, right now, even if it doesn't have the depth of Bojack. You don't usually get great continuity/storytelling on a cartoon, but hell, does VB get it.

Shows that I consider part of this current golden age of western animated shows (anime is a completely different beast):

BoJack Horseman
Rick and Morty
Archer
Venture Bros (getting a bit long in the tooth but it's still great)
Bob's Burgers
Gravity Falls (honestly one of the best shows I've ever watched, I can't recommend it highly enough to fans of Twin Peaks and The X-Files)
Adventure Time
Steven Universe

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom